The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 29, 2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Jay24bal

Need Some Input Please

I recently acquired 2 older revolvers. I am not a revolver guy and do not plan to regularly shoot them or carry them, and to be honest I do not really know much about revolvers and was hoping you guys can provide some advice. So here is my question: are these two worth hanging on to as collectible pieces, or would I be better off selling them?

1. Smith and Wesson Pre-Model 10 5 screw (as I was told by my smith) - Still functions great and locks up tight, I ran 25 rounds through it at the range last weekend. It is rather beat up (the bore is still good though) and I would give it a C/C- grade in terms of the condition.

2. Colt Cobra Aircrewman 38 spl. - Also shoots well and locks up tight. The bore is great, but the nickel finish has some blemishes and I would grade it at a B in terms of condition.

So, keep them or sell them (they have no sentimental value to me whatsoever)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old October 29, 2012, 10:34 PM   #2
jimbob86

pix?
Old October 29, 2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Jay24bal

Sorry, here are pics of each

I have 5 pictures of both, with the limit of 3 images attached per post, I will have to do 4 posts. 1/4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Colt_1.jpeg (104.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpeg Colt_2.jpeg (103.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpeg Colt_3.jpeg (88.7 KB, 42 views)

Old October 29, 2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Jay24bal

2/4

2/4
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Colt_4.jpeg (92.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpeg Colt_5.jpeg (89.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpeg S&W_1.jpeg (98.1 KB, 206 views)

Old October 29, 2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Jay24bal

3/4

3/4
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg S&W_2.jpeg (105.9 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpeg S&W_3.jpeg (104.4 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpeg S&W_4.jpeg (100.6 KB, 190 views)

Old October 29, 2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Jay24bal

4/4

4/4.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg S&W_5.jpeg (113.6 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by Jay24bal; October 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old October 30, 2012, 12:13 PM   #7
BigJimP

In my opinion, based on the condition of both guns...neither gun is a "collectable" based solely on condition.

In terms of value the pre model 10 - in my area - if you can sell it at all, you'd be very lucky to get $ 50 for it ...basically as a parts gun. There are lots of pre model 10's and Victory models around in very good condition - selling for $ 125 - $ 175 for the most part. I see several at most gun shows in my area every month...and they aren't selling. I'm a semi-serious S&W revolver shooter & collector / ...but among my buddies its just not going to be a gun any of us want - except for parts. I have a Victory model in my collection ...but its a family gun that was bought new in 1946 - and well used / but no rust, etc...all the parkerized finish is gone from holster wear...and it would only sell for $ 50 - $ 75 as well. It just isn't valuable.

The Colt looks pretty rough as well.../ ..I'm not as familiar with that model ...but again the finish is in really bad shape and that kills any significant value. A Colt collector will come along and give you a better price evaluation than I can ...
Old October 30, 2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Winchester_73

Most any working 5 screw S&W is worth $150 or more. Your gun is a pre war M&P 38 special. If the gun has the original grips, it dates to the 1920s. I would expect the SN to be under 300XXX and for it to have no letter prefix on the serial number. I would say the value is $200 give or take a few bucks if in good working order.

The Colt "cobra aircrewman" looks to be an original nickel colt cobra. I'm not sure where you got the name "aircrewman" as the gun has an ejector shroud, and was thus made after 1970. As a cobra, its known as a second generation cobra. The grips are the original type for the gun. I would estimate the value to be $250 to $300 if in good working order. Its a higher quality DA snubnose than most of today's snubnose offerings, and that is where its value is.
Old October 31, 2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Jay24bal

Thanks

Thanks for the input.

I assumed that based on the condition of the guns they were not suited to be collectibles, but I figured I would ask as you know what they say about assuming...

And thank you for giving some imput on the values for the guns. I plan to sell both and seeing as I did not pay for either, they will serve as a nice little bonus to the gun fund for the upcoming 1911R1 purchase.

Thanks again!

Old November 1, 2012, 01:14 PM   #10
BigJimP

It's too bad they aren't in better condition.....but they are what they are...and maybe values on them in your area are a little more than what I'm estimating...or maybe in your hands they look better than what I see in the photos...

Good luck with them...
Old November 1, 2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

You won't be making them pretty without a lot of work but if they are good shooters I would load up on ammo for them and start getting used to them with a lot of trigger time. You never know when you will need one for a back up and it's always good to be able to shoot any kind of gun, not just one type or one model. Who knows, you might even get addicted to them like some of us dinosaurs. I love shooting guns with a lot of history if they are in shooting condition.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--