The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 24, 2006, 11:38 AM   #1
firespec35

S&W repair customer service?

So I bought my first pistol on 5/31. I put 200 rounds through it and life was good. I break it down to clean it and put it back together. I dry fire it a few times to make sure everything is lubed OK, about 1 in 10 is stopping at a halfway area (normally this is a spot where you can pull the trigger to make the hammer so you can get it and cock it with your thumb, it has a bobbed hammer) So I take it back into Gander Mountain's gunsmith. first thing I learn is I need to learn how to clean my gun better cause when he cleans it up it starts doing it every time. Anyways he said he is sending it back to S&W for warranty repair. So will I see my gun before 2007?

S&W 669
Old June 24, 2006, 03:08 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Yes.
S&W doesn't fool around with customer warranty repairs.

The only reason it might take a long time is if Gander Mountain doesn't get it sent in quickly.
Old June 24, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
dillonuser

My experience with S&W has been very good. Sometimes a five day turnaround.
That is extremely fast. I have had some (Browning and Colt) take so long I had to wake them up.

I am pretty sure you will like the service from S&W. But,like Dfariswheel said,there may be a delay from GM.
Old June 24, 2006, 07:32 PM   #4
hsim

S&W has one of the best, if not the best CS around. Usually dealing with firearms manufacture is a little hit and miss,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. To avoid some unnecessary wait time, you could have contacted S&W yourself, they would have provide you a FedEx account number and you ship the gun back at no cost to you. If it is a warranty issue, they'll ship it back to you FOC.
Old June 28, 2006, 01:39 PM   #5
taz-2005

S&W is so good they fixed a 1911 I bought used that I damaged for absolutely no charge! They are the best period.
Old June 28, 2006, 05:16 PM   #6
TexasCop

Yes, the last gun I sent back I got back in under 2 weeks, the one before that took just over 2 1/2 round trip.

I've got another one I just called on today, and they are sending me a shipping label out.
Old June 28, 2006, 09:37 PM   #7
gfen

I had purchased a '60s vintage S&W revolver from a store, which they stated had been retimed by S&W before I had bought it.

By the 200th round, it was mistimed again. The store took it back, sent it back to S&W for me and I had it back, repaired with replacement pieces in under two weeks. It may not have been warranty work fo' free, but they definantly got it right back to me.

Hasn't been outta time since, either.
Old June 28, 2006, 09:55 PM   #8
PinnedAndRecessed

Not meaning to inflame, or anything, but there is a caveat, here. From this thread:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/for...3861024831/p/2

I think the point is to find a specific contact person at Smith and communicate your wishes to them.

This is particularly true with older Smiths. For example, when you send an older Smith in for repairs, posters at the Smith and Wesson forum suggest that Smith will repair with new parts. Let's say you've got a pinned and recessed Smith with sticky chambers. It might not be inconceivable for Smith to replace the cylinder with the non-recessed variety.

Like I said, I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade.