The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 28, 1999, 11:11 PM   #1
blooch

what is happening when my hi powers, one mkIII, one pre mk, are failing to extract empties. the guns are clean and the ammo is new, several different brands and weights. this problem is sometimes every round in any clip i have, sometimes a mag full will go through without any problems, next clip full same ammo, maybe one third will not be extracted. the cases fall out when i get the slide pressure off of them. HELP
Old December 29, 1999, 08:16 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Blooch, without examination of the pistols I can only give you a canned answer and a guess. The most common reasons for extraction failures are: 1)the extractor or extractor spring. Since this is suddenly happening in both pistols I doubt that's your problem. 2) rough or dirty chamber; a possibility but you say the guns are clean and again I doubt it would happen to both at the same time. 3)short cycling; I think this may be the problem. Sometimes shooters tend to "evolve" and change the way they do things without realizing it. Either they change their hold slightly and wind up with a thumb riding on the slide, slowing it's travel or they relax their grip and limp wrist the pistol. Next time you're at the range, concentrate on holding the pistols firmly and make sure that you are not touching the slide. George
Old December 29, 1999, 01:55 PM   #3
blooch

george, thanks a lot. my hand seems to just swallow the gun. with a little effort to keep various parts of my hand off the slide all is well. thanks again