The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 26, 2011, 04:27 PM   #1
rantingredneck

Product Review: Pearce Mag extensions for Ruger LCP

This is a somewhat belated product review in that I've had these for a few months. I've commented on them and recommended them in various LCP threads but haven't done a full writeup until now.

I'll start by saying I love my LCP. I've had it since April of 08 and have put somewhere north of 1300 rounds through it without a hitch. I stopped counting 100 count boxes of WWB at 1100 rounds fired and have fired a mix of defensive ammo on top of that amount. I've added a Crimson Trace laser and while it certainly helps with speed shooting, I actually find myself more accurate using the tiny sights. But this review is supposed to be about the Pearce Mag Extensions isn't it?.........

So, shooting an LCP (or any other pocket gun) can be a challenge for someone with big paws. I'm no giant, but I'm a pretty good sized fella at 6ft and 220lbs. My hands are "larger than average". The standard mag baseplate from Ruger is great for concealment, but doesn't allow much room for the ring finger and no room at all for the pinky. This is excacerbated by the Crimson Trace as it adds just a skosh to the thickness of the trigger guard and pushes the hand just a bit downward on the grip. It won't make me give up the laser though.

The factory finger extension baseplate for the LCP mags is a bit of an improvement over the flat baseplate in that it gives more solid purchase for the ring finger, but my fat fingers feel a little cramped between the trigger guard and the hooked baseplate. It's not terribly uncomfortable, but just doesn't feel exactly right.

The Pearce extensions do not add capacity, but they offer quite a bit more purchase for the ring finger, and if you wanted to squeeze it in you could actually get your pinky in on the action, though again it's a squeeze. It's still more comfortable with a "pinky curled under" grip. The Pearce extensions have a serrated grip surface on the frontstrap of the extension allowing a more positive grip for the ring finger. The Pearce extensions look nice and blend into the lines of the LCP as if they were a factory option. Installation is quick and easy and the price is right too. A 2 pack runs about 11-12 bucks plus shipping.

Carryability is somewhat affected. I typically wear khakis to work and am partial to Columbia Sportswear ROC pants as they are nice enough for work, but rugged enough to hold up well. They also have roomy pockets. The LCP with the Pearce extension mag installed carries nicely in the ROC pants. When wearing jeans I find the Pearce equipped mag to be just a bit much for the pocket. It'll carry OK, but it affects draw speed enough that I switch to the flat baseplate and use a Pearce equipped mag as my spare.

Old January 26, 2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Good post Ranting. I too suffer from LCP love with large hands. I actually prefer the flat base plate on the mag rather than the factory extension as I get a better hold on the gun with it. While it's a better hold, with my large hands, it isn't a great hold. I love the gun, but it can be a handful when you can only get 2.5 fingers around it.

For the money, the Pearce maybe worth trying. Nice job on the pictures too.
Old January 26, 2011, 08:40 PM   #3
rantingredneck

Thanks, been meaning to post that for awhile.

Those pics were actually from my smartphone. Got a new one a few months back and it takes pretty good pics and uploads easily to photobucket. Makes this sort of thing easier .
Old February 4, 2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Delaware_Dan

+1 for the Pearce pinky extension. As a smaller guy I can get my pinky just on the extension. Not so with the Ruger provided extension.
Old March 7, 2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Chris Townsend

I got my Pearce extensions in last week and it was worth the money! Im quite happy!