The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 14, 2001, 12:29 PM   #1
lotsOfQuestions

gun safe questions

I've been lurking here for a few weeks now, and just purchased my first gun. I've signed up for some training, and will actually complete some of it before I bring the gun home. I have two small children, so safe storeage of the gun is extremely important to me. I would like to err on the side of extra effort to get the gun, over quick access. I will keep ammunition locked up too. I also don't want to have keys around the house. I am leaning towards a keypad trigger lock, and a keypad safe to keep it extra secure. I will keep the keys in a locked cabinet at work, and/or with friends.

There seem to be a lot of choices for both locks. Specific gun safes are usually pretty small, and more expensive than typical home security safes. For $200 or so, I see I can get a home fire safe with keypad and key. It's about twice the size of the gun safe, and looks plenty beefy to me. I guess I don't want to be storing live ammo in there with any valuables, or important paperwork though, so maybe I don't really want a big safe? I'm open to suggestions on types, and specific models. What do you guys recommend?

Oh, it's a Glock 19
Old October 14, 2001, 11:09 PM   #2
RKCheung

Quick access is essential in a self/family/home defense type of situation. What I have is a GunVault - Minivault (runs for about $135 on GunBroker.com), which holds my P99 w/ 3 loaded mags next to my bed. If you do a search on it here, you'll find lots of endorsements for it. I am also planning on buying one of those big Sentry fire-resistant safes when I buy more handguns and to keep important documents. I don't want to consolidate both my guns and documents in one place because when TSHTF I don't want to grab my Last Will & Testament instead of my Walther.

Also, the GunVault can be bolted down and has hundreds of thousands of combinations so it'll be secure from your children as long as you don't tell them the combo. You can open it in the dark and it has a spring-loaded door so it's both secure and easy to access if you need it. The keys will also open it w/o the combo so you should keep them far away from your kids - safe deposit box or other secure place will be good. And IMHO I think a trigger lock would be superfluous if you have a good safe.