The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 1, 2011, 05:45 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Target gun adjustments

It looks as though I will have to get the adjustable comb, which was part of the original plan, but I have been trying to see if it is needed with the XS Skeet.

I am approximately the size of the standard person for which guns are designed. 5’8” tall, but pack too many pounds at 205 and my arms are slightly short. My neck is long.

I am still getting used to the XS Skeet, but it seems that whatever I do it fits the same as the one’s I rented before buying. Even if I mash my cheek down hard on the stock and lean forward, turning my nose to the right, I still can barely align the beads so one is just below the other. I get a figure 8 and at most a snowman (by which I mean the front bead is slightly occluded by the lower). Then, I am, looking out the inner part of my glasses.

If I understand correctly, an AC isn’t going to help with lowering my eye and raising the lower bead, unless the stock cutter shaves the top of the comb. If that is correct, would I be better off with something like a Jones pad?

This may be so complex that a stock fitter or good instructor will have to watch me shoot to figure out what is going on.
Old December 1, 2011, 08:26 PM   #2
oneounceload

Stop looking at the sights and see, at first, how you do normally just shoot the gun from a low gun position?

if the gun fits, you should be able to just shoot the target from a low gun position without worrying about the sights - try it on the skeet field and see how you do
Old December 1, 2011, 10:04 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

Quote:
if the gun fits, you should be able to just shoot the target from a low gun position without worrying about the sights - try it on the skeet field and see how you do
I'll do that.
Old December 2, 2011, 12:51 PM   #4
BigJimP

Oneounce makes a good point....and maybe that will work for you ...but if its inconclusive....take it to a pattern board. " The pattern board is your friend"...even if it is boring ...it will tell you a Lot !!

The rules in sporting clays, trap and skeet ( not international .....) ...all allow you to pre-mount the gun / so unless you shoot a lot ...and can really groove that gun mount where its like riding a bicycle consistent ... / shooting a pre-mounted gun is an advantage.
Old December 2, 2011, 01:07 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

I have taken it to the board and it seems to be shooting true and slightly high, which may be a good thing. (The results aren't totally reliable since I wasn't shooting with a bench rest and I should have taken a few more shots to get a good average.) It is boring.

I think I know what oneounce was thinking. Often when a bird unexpectedly goes off and I shoot a low gun I make a hit because I shoot instinctively. I will try that but plan on normally taking advantage of a pre mount, unless shooting a low mount really works better for me which I don't expect it will.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; December 2, 2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old December 2, 2011, 01:36 PM   #6
oneounceload

Instinctive mount takes out more of you trying to squiggle into a correct hold. If it works that way, then the gun most likely fits, or is close. If it is shooting just a touch high- and not from you seeing rib, then like a lot of guns, it is most likely about 60-40 POI/POA - a good all around setting as it lets you "float" the bird a little.
THEN you can work on your premount - don't go overboard, stand normally, mount relaxed and somewhat firm, but not so firm you are squeezing too tight and moving it everywhere.

Last edited by oneounceload; December 2, 2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: clarification
Old December 2, 2011, 06:29 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Instinctive mount takes out more of you trying to squiggle into a correct hold. If it works that way, then the gun most likely fits, or is close. If it is shooting just a touch high- and not from you seeing rib, then like a lot of guns, it is most likely about 60-40 POI/POA - a good all around setting as it lets you "float" the bird a little.
THEN you can work on your premount - don't go overboard, stand normally, mount relaxed and somewhat firm, but not so firm you are squeezing too tight and moving it everywhere.
Sounds like good advice, oneounce. I plan on going out again tomorrow.
Old December 2, 2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Practice tonight.

Double check the thing is empty, you may leave the room where the ammo's kept.

Focus on the corner where the walls meet the ceiling and be in your usual stance. Bring the gun to your face. Let the gun touch your face in the same place each time you mount. Do this a few times, then focus hard and CLOSE YOUR EYES. Mount the gun as usual. If the gun fits, you should be still pointed at that corner when you open your eyes.

25 dry mounts a night 3x a week will definitely improve your mount and your shooting.
Old December 2, 2011, 09:03 PM   #9
.300 Weatherby Mag

Klawman,

My opinion, after shooting your gun is that it may need to stock tweaks to get it to fit you perfectly... The point of impact on both barrels seems to be spot on for skeet.. I didn't see your patterning board results but it must pattern good as it smokes the birds..

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; December 3, 2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old December 3, 2011, 02:12 AM   #10
TheKlawMan

Dave. That is a good drill. I have been doing it but nowhere as often as I should.

You are probably right, Weatherby, about the gun being pretty much spot on. If it needs any tweaking to fit me to a "T", I doubt it needs much.