The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Creeper

So... you just got your first "tacti-cool" shotgun huh?

I'm bored right now... snow on the ground, cold as hell in the shop and not much to do, so I decided to write what I call a "cautionary tale" for new and potential tactical shotgun owners.

Is any of this gospel? Nope... just opinion based on experience and observation. Take it for what it's worth... and as it's on an interwebnet forum and costs nothing, it's worth nothing but 5 minutes of your time to read.

There seems to be a substantial upswing in the sales of everything tactical, military, semi-automatic and high capacity. In other words, if it's black and looks like it came out of "Half Life 2"... it's really flying off the shelves.
The dreaded "Obama Factor" no doubt.

Tactical shotguns for civilians... are a mixed bag.
The more exceedingly tactical they are, the less multi-functional, the less generally useful and less frequently used they seem to become. This last facet of tactical shotgun ownership is the worst possible aspect, as it creates a large group of people that don't really know how to use the gun they own.
If you're a 3-gun competitor, or a cop, or military, you may be the only true exceptions... especially the rabid 3-gun guy, who will send more pellets downrange in a year than many will do in a lifetime.

So, what does "Joe Average gun doode" do with a tactical shotgun... I mean besides set it next to your nightstand or behind a door and forget about it?

For most... accessorization seems to be a popular pastime. Another term for it is "farklization"... a farkle being a thing which you don't necessarily need, but you've rationalized it's value sufficiently that you must have it.
For some... it's all about how evil their guns look in pictures they post in forums.

What farkles are good... and what farkles are mall ninja useless, you may ask? That's a good question, and depending on how rational and objective you can be, there are good and near useless tactical shotgun accessories.

You could search for and read every post by objective and rational thinkers like Scattergun Bob (this post in particular), DaveMc, Super Dave and others, find the gems that directly correlate to tactical shotguns, and apply that information to your particular weapon... or, you can wing it, based on what you've seen in movies and video games.
The former is time consuming (but perhaps a worthwhile project), the latter could be expensive, and you'd end up with a photogenic, "tacti-cool" 13 pound shotgun that is less useful than if you'd left it completely alone.

A shotgun, like any gun, is a tool. Each tool has a purpose, and unless you've been in a few fights that involved a shotgun, you may not know that modifying a tool can have "unintended circumstances" which will have a negative effect on the function of the tool.

Lets look at some of the not bad tactical shotgun "accessories".

The sling.
Although this should be the first, and is possibly the only thing that is a truly useful, all purpose shotgun accessory... surprisingly, it's low on many people's list of things to buy.

A shotgun, when not actually in use, is a cumbersome device. A sling allows you to use your hands. Being able to use your hands allows you to do many useful things... like open and close doors, turn lights on and off, manipulate other tools like flashlights and handguns, and reload your shotgun more easily.
There are many sling manufacturers and we all have our favorites... however, if you spend more than $40 for a sling, you probably spent too much.
Specter, Wilderness and Urban ERT are some of the more popular ones... buy one if you don't have one already. If you do have one, fit it correctly and practice it's use as a tactical tool.

The magazine extension.
Capacity... that's what it's all about ain't it? Most Tactical shotguns have an 18.5" barrel. That means that unless you want a magazine tube to extend out (way) past the end of the barrel, rendering your gun less useful in close environs, your maximum capacity is around 8-9 rounds of 2.75" shells.
Magazine extensions run between $45 and $100. The quality of the magazine on a shotgun is just as important as that of a handgun... if it's poor quality and causes your shotgun to jam, all those extra shells aren't going to do you much good.
Do you know how to clear a jam on your shotgun? If not, put it real high on your list of things to learn well.

If you must have a extended mag tube... buy a good one and stay away from the not so good ones. Nordic, DMW and SureCycle make the best... none cheap, but I've never heard of one causing a jam or flying apart.

Before you buy a extended tube, consider this. Mag tubes (when loaded) add weight and affect the "swing" of a shotgun. Do you want an extra 1-2 lbs... do you want a shotgun where being able to move it quickly is important? Temper your desire for capacity with practical logic.
The one rational exception to this might be the aforementioned 3-gun competitor who must have X capacity to be competitive.

Shell carriers.
Back to capacity again. I don't think shell carriers that hang off the receiver or attach to the butt-stock are as bad an idea as extended magazine tubes that stick way out past the muzzle. Why, because adding weight to the center or rear of the gun does little to create the "overswing" or pendulum effect that occurs with long extended mag tubes.
With some guns, a buttstock shell carrier actually will improve balance.

If you have an extended mag tube (that doesn't extend past the muzzle) and a receiver mounted shell carrier... potentially, you can have as many as 17 shells in or on the gun. Add a buttstock carrier and you can get well over 20.
That should do the trick right? If not, you may really need to stop playing "Metal Gear Solid"... it's affecting your concept of reality.
Mesa Tactical make the best hard shell carriers.

Shell carrier/bandoleer/sling things make you look just like Poncho Villa... and are a complete pain in the ass to use when you're in a hurry. Get a shell carrier(s), get a sling... don't try and combine the two.

Sights.
Some supposed "tactical" shotguns come with pretty crappy sights.
Under stress, the bigger, easier to see and simpler to align sights are the best. For many, this means large ghost ring sights.
Sights are a personal thing and may be affected by the quality of ones eyesight and even physical build, so I'm not going to go out on a limb and recommend specific brands or types... just remember that as cool as it may look to shoot a shotgun from the hip, they are much more accurate when you use the sights, so get good ones that allow rapid target acquisition in all types of light.

Optics.
This tends to go with sights. I'm not a big fan of optics on a tactical scattergun... a slug gun sure, but magnifying optics on a gun where the typical max range is less than 30 yards... not so much.
The other type of optic is the red dot or holographic sight. No magnification (usually), but rather a bright red (or maybe green) dot or triangle that subtends your target by X value.
For some people with eye issues, the red dot/holo sight brings an entirely new quality to their ability to hit the target... which is a good thing, and the reason why I can't say anything negative about them.
Just remember that cheek-weld and optical alignment are critical to use and accuracy... any add-on optic should be very close to the original open sight alignment, or you may have problems with holding the gun and seeing the target at the same time.

Lights.
To add lights, you usually need a mount, and sometimes a mount for the mount... and perhaps even a extended mag tube to put the mount for the mount on. Starts to add up don't it?
I got nothing against gun mounted lights... especially on a dedicated HD gun, because a good number of HD situations occur at night.

Because you never know when a light can be a tactical advantage or disadvantage, lights that are easy to turn on and off without removing your hand from the forend are the best ones to consider, meaning that Surefire forend lights ($$$) with built-in controls are a good choice... if they make one for your gun.
The lights that come with remote switches would be a close second, or maybe a better way to go... again, depending on the gun. Just make sure the switch cable, if there is one, is securely attached to the gun and more or less snag-proof.

Farkles of dubious value.

Compensators/Muzzle Breaks.
If you've read up on shotgun ballistics, you know that comps, breaks and ported choke tubes are of limited to no value. Simple as that. If you must have one, Royal Arms has the best options I've found.
Don't confuse comps and breaks with breaching stand-offs. Breaching stand-offs are a application specific device used by police and military for entry purposes and are not sold as a recoil reducers/muzzle rise reducers.
Saying all that, comps and breaching stand-offs look cooler than all get out, and that would be the most honest reason to buy one... 'cause they look cool. Royal arms and Vang Comp are the two makers that come to mind.

Pistol grip only shotgun stocks.
Other than for an military/LE entry gun, or a bank robber hiding a shotgun under an overcoat... this is the dumbest accessory there is, IMO. It makes shooting from the hip a virtual requirement, so accuracy and gun control go out the window.

Thats about it for generic tactical shotgun accessories. There are lots of brand and model specific accessories intended to correct or upgrade a stock guns short comings that I won't go into.

Everything you buy effects the function of your gun and your interaction with it.
A tactical shotgun is designed to be used quickly and effectively in a relatively closed environment under stress... anything that reduces that effectiveness may get you and/or your loved ones hurt, or worse.

The very best accessory you can buy?
That would be practice... lots and lots of practice, on a regular basis.
Until the operation of the gun you may use to defend your life is second nature and total muscle memory... under the worst conditions and pressures.

The next time you're looking on-line and think... "Hey, that pistol grip/laser/illuminator/battering ram/flare launcher/espresso maker would sure look bitchin' on my shotgun"... instead, spend the money on ammo, practice and perhaps even professional training. It doesn't look as cool in photos, but it might save your life.

C
Old December 16, 2008, 09:58 PM   #2
johnnyeastside

Thanks, from a new gun owner. I've learned these lessons in the motorcycle industry. Anything that doesn't make the bike stop or go is essentially a "farkle" and there is big industry in chrome covers that cover chrome covers. I say "paint it flat black and ride the f*** out of it" which translates to practice, practice, practice. But, for those that want to spend thousands on bolt on junk to look cool, my mortgage company thanks you.
When I first started looking into buying my first gun, I immediately saw that correlation.
Now, having a gun that you like will make you more likely to use it more, so I won't feel guilty that I think my gun is slick, however anything I put on it better pay its own way. I'm sure I will try some stuff that doesn't work out, but most of us have to go through some of that.
And, by the way, I haven't been considering a sling, but you did get me thinking about it. The reason I bought the gun was for HD, but I plan to go to fields with friends as much as I can to throw clays.
Old December 16, 2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Cold_DeadHands

Quote:
So, what does "Joe Average gun doode" do with a tactical shotgun... I mean besides set it next to your nightstand or behind a door and forget about it?
Take it and 1 or 2 boxes of shells into the woods and shoot an trespassing milk jug till there's nothing leftover?
Old December 16, 2008, 10:18 PM   #4
USA123456789

IT TOOK ME LONGER THAN 5 MINUTES TO READ.

Your article was great. Thanx i needed some advice on the tactical/HD gun i just bought it.

USA USA USA USA
Old December 16, 2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Cerick

This is my shotgun. It IS a tactical shotgun. Even says so in its name. Creeper, I agree with some of what you say, and some of it I don't agree with. First off, the thing I disagree with most is your comment about how people buying tactical shoguns creates a "large group of people who dont really know how to use the gun they own." Just because its "Tacti-cool" doesn't mean a large percentage of its owners are amatures. I'm sure there plenty of people with glocks, ak's, or other commonly used guns in movies and films that buy them for looks. Part of the reason I bought mine is because I like the way it looks.

With that said, i'm sure there are plenty of people out there who own sti's, Krieghoffs, and other expensive or rare guns that dont know how to use them. I bought my 870 knowing that its possibilities for use are almost endless. I already own a 20ga youth express that ive had since I was 12. There are a couple of reasons I picked this particular shogun. I liked the short stock on my youth express, and the tactical speedfeed stock on this gun is about the same length. The 18" barrel is great for close quarters, and since I wont be goose or duck hunting, its a perfect size for me. I can use it for small game or deer also. A 26" or 28" barrel would be good for all sorts of hunting, but not close quarters. This shotgun over other similar tactical 870's has a choked barrel, instead of a fixed IC barrel. I have bought 3 additional chokes for it since buying the gun, the chokes being IC, modified, and full, to add to the cylinder bore choke the gun came with. I believe the tactical or police shotguns were also made with higher quality parts then the express line, making it more reliable.

You criticized the magazine tube extension for its length and weight. The length on my mag tube extension is equal to the length of the barrel, and the weight for me isnt an issue. Also for HD or for bringing it into bear country, the extra rounds could save your life. The breaching choke doesn't seem to reduce any recoil, even though it was advertised as so. It could be useful, although I dont think i'll be breaching doors anytime soon. The big plus for that, again is the choked barrel.

I think that covers what I dont agree with, now for what I do or somewhat do agree with. Pistol grip. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=324551
That is a link to the pictures of the different setups I have for my gun. I put the pistol grip on and bought it because I admitantly thought it was cool, and might be great for HD. I haven't even fired it with the pistol grip on, but holding it was enough to make me realize it was very awkward to hold and probably more so to fire. The only time i can see wanting to use this is going hiking where the possibility of seeing bear is there, and attaching my shogun to my hiking pack. It would be lighter and more compact, therefore better to carry.

I also purchased a mesa tactical 6 shot, reciver mount shell holder. Bought it because it looks cool, and the extra rounds close by could be important in a defense situation. After installing it, It made the reciever feel too bulky, and when I shouldered the gun to shoot, the extra shells in my sight annoyed the crap out of me. I took it off, and the only reason I could see using it again is also for hiking, because I wouldn't have the extra 4 shells in the speed feed stock.

I have a Streamlight TLR-2 on one of my pistols, although I shoot worse with the laser, and the light could potentially give your position away, although it can help you safely identify your target. The lasers may be good, I just might not have enough practice with them. Todd Jarret has great things to say about lasers, but that might just be Crimson Traces money talking. I thought about putting the tlr-2 on my Shotgun, but haven't decided yet.

Optics wise, I think thats all preference. I have the red dot on the slug barrel, which I want to replace with a regular scope. A red dot for defense or turkey might be good, but again I think thats all preference.

I use the sling when deer hunting, and thats it.

I also play ALOT of videogames. everything from halo type games, to the more realistic Rainbow Six series of games. I do know the difference between reality, and games though.

I have a friend that bought an 870 express combo, with 28" smoothbore, vent rib barrel, and slug barrel for hunting, and he almost never uses it. I use my shotgun on a weekly or bi-weekly basis to either hunt, or to just have fun at the range. While there are people who buy spas 12's because they look like the the ultimate shtf gun and dont know how to operate the safety on it, just because you own one, doesn't automatically place you in that catagory. I know you, creeper, explained that right off the bat, but the way some of the things you said were read, may have seemed a bit, well insulting to some of us. I like tactical stuff. I do see a place for some of it, while also seeing some other accessories as a bit "useless." I just dont want to be thought of as a person that says " yo look at my shotty, I could take out mad people with this thing haha. Double pistol grip, red dot, light, mag tube extension, sling, shot shell holder, heatsheild, tac rail and all."

oh and sorry for such a long post

Last edited by Cerick; December 16, 2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old December 16, 2008, 10:19 PM   #6
scorpion_tyr

Nice article. I agree 100%. Especially about the extra shell holder. The shotgun is a very versital weapon capable of firing many different loads so why not keep the most useful for your situation in the tube and 5 on the stock that can take care of things you are less likely to, but still might see. For example I keep 5 rounds of 00BK in the tube and 5 HP Slugs on the stock. My reasoning for this is because I actually and unfortunately do live in a bad part of town and my biggest threat area is my driveway.
Old December 16, 2008, 10:28 PM   #7
Mike U.

One thing you didn't mention that should be added is a "Heat Shield". I bought one purely for the ghost ring sights that were on it. Right next to useless. All it did was add weight, add yet another thing that might get snagged in an emergency and otherwise was about as useless as a chastity belt for a Catholic Nun.
Old December 17, 2008, 09:47 AM   #8
alloy

Farkles........... just spilt some coffee.

my regular woods hunting shotgun works fine.
Old December 17, 2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Toddd

I totally agree, tactical garbage is getting way to popular and out of control. bunch of my buddies think its cool that their mossy looks like some gun arnold would use to storm an island, but its pointless. the extent of my 500 setup is a 28" ported barrel for trap/hunting, an 18.5" for storage and HD reasons (not likely to get used for that purpose but looks damn good and i dont really need to aim if i wanna dust some skeet) Other than that i got a homemade sling and a 5 shell band for my stock. both work great (and dirt cheap) and its nice having your pockets free of those rarely used emergency shells
Old December 17, 2008, 10:20 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Okay Not too often...

I show off the kids in public...
But for this thread I will do so...

what in that pile looks "tactical" or "assault-ish"?
The 20 gauge (short pump gun) did come from mossberg with a PG but it has since been swapped out for the rear stock from the long Mossberg since the 18 inch 20 is my HD gun. The newer gun just has to wear the Elmer's Glued beater wood stock. BTW, In my use of the term... each of these weapons has a "tactical" time and place to be used on some sort of critter...
Brent
Old December 17, 2008, 10:32 AM   #11
.45 COLT

I pretty much don't care what a person does to his shotgun (except call it a "Shotty" or a "Remmie" - that irritates me), but I hope that they put as much thought into what they put in the gun as they did into what they put on it. Rhodesian Jungle Ammo, Dragon's Breath or Pit Bull may sound "cool", but have little practical purpose.

Good article.

DC
Old December 17, 2008, 10:33 AM   #12
johnbt

"Muzzle Breaks"

I don't know a thing about tactical shotguns, but if your muzzle breaks you should get it fixed. Maybe you meant muzzle brake.

John

P.S. - An experienced man, although I don't know if he was a tactical man, once told me that a sling is just one more thing for an assailant to grab when trying to gain control you or your shotgun.

John
Old December 17, 2008, 12:19 PM   #13
BigJimP

Creeper, Interesting perspective, I agree with you.

I ran into a "Tacti-Cool" guy at one of my local gun stores yesterday - going on and on about AR's and Shotguns - and all the crap you can strap, tape and bolt to them ...and the junk that spues out of that guys mouth is too much to take. When he finally left, I asked the shop owner if he's always like that - and he rolls his eyes and says, yes .... but he's good for business because he is always trading something in, and buying something else... It made me laugh.

Fortunately we do have quite a few Tactical experienced guys on here like ScattergunBob, Dave Mc ( and others )....to lend some common sense to the discussion / and even though I'm not into Tactical rifles or shotguns - I enjoy their counsel to people that legitimately ask how to properly equip a Fighting Weapon.
Old December 17, 2008, 12:58 PM   #14
zippy13

Creeper, Interesting perspective, I agree with you.

+1
Old December 17, 2008, 01:24 PM   #15
oneounceload

my "tactical weapon is an old Mossberg 500, PGO removed and replaced by a standard stock - the only accessory is the 5-shot "side saddle". sits in the closet, though, my 357 is on the nightstand

The only gun worse for accessories is the AR platform:barf:
Old December 17, 2008, 01:27 PM   #16
Creeper

A wonderful assortment of responses, viewpoints and opinions... all valid from the writers perspective.

johnnyeastside... You and I may know each other. I worked in the motorcycle industry for 35 years. Hell, I kinda still do.

Cold_DeadHands... If everyone would do that at least once a month... that'd be great. I know your the kind of guy that after killing all those miscreant milk jugs, you pick them up, take them home and give them a proper burial in your trash bin... yes?

USA123456789... I apologize on the time it took to read. 5 minutes was a wild-ass-guess on my part. Glad you enjoyed it.

Cerick... My comments were based on relatively new shotgun owners and buyers. Obviously, not directed at someone with experience. Never the less, your points are all valid and well received.

scorpion_tyr... It's tough to balance practicality and functionality with the desire to carry an adequate supply of ammo for your needs. Compromise... all compromise.

Mike U.... Completely forgot about heat shields. The ones that actually came on the old Winchester trench guns were functional. The ones they sell today are pretty much useless junk aren't they?

alloy... Farkles is a term I first heard in the motorcycle biz. Just as johnnyeastside alluded to... "if it don't go, chrome it" is the mentality.
"Beware the man with only one gun... for they know how to use it"

Toddd... A shotgunner for all seasons and reasons. The quote in alloy's line applies to you as well.

hogdogs... a nice selection of standard weapons, all well used and abused, sufficient to know that none are safe queens. Good on ya'.

.45 COLT... Ah, ammo. That's a whole 'nother bag of cats for another time. Perhaps you should write a little tale about functional real world ammo vs. 4th of July parade ammo.

johnbt... Ha ha ha... you know how you get in a mindset and can look right at something and still not see it for what it is? That's me and muzzle "break". I think I'll leave it just the way it is... keeps me humble to know that I can still make such and obvious mistake.
Regarding your comment on the sling... I suppose you can legitimately look at it from that perspective, but I think I'll hang on to my sling, for the reasons I listed. Thanks for your viewpoint.

BigJimP... I know the guy you speak of. There's one in almost every town and in every gun shop. As your gun dealer says, they are a good source of income. Nothing better for a gun shop (or motorcycle shop) than a stereotypical wannabe, sidewalk commando with money.
At least they're enthusiastic, and given enough time, they might even back down to a more thoughtful and considered level.

Thanks very much to all that responded. There are as many opinions on guns and their use as there are guns themselves. It doesn't matter a whit if you agree or disagree, only that you have a considerate and open mind to the views of others.
In every pile of poop... lies a grain of truth.

Cheers,
C
Old December 17, 2008, 01:36 PM   #17
alloy

thats funny Creeper, i am sort of familiar with the motorcycle biz but thats a new one. but...the end result of a bunch of your farkles? a whooptie. (big wheel ghetto cruiser).

woods/truck gun...and my farkles...screw in chokes w/ brownells safety button, cause its all about safety with firearms. real nice article, as usual from the shotgun pros here. too much of a good thing is just too much of a good thing.

Last edited by alloy; December 17, 2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: farkles
Old December 17, 2008, 01:46 PM   #18
fisherman66

What, no mention of farkle ammo? The bolos, rubber balls, bean bags and speary things. Funny stuff.

Pass the koolaid please.
Old December 17, 2008, 02:00 PM   #19
freakintoguns

only tactical accessories i want for my 870 now are single point sling, and buttstock shell holder. had the pistol grip on it and a 3" high brass lsug changed that for me in a hurry. i agree witha lot of what you say too about shotguns and being over accessorized, think some people go why over board on ARs AKs and the such.
Old December 17, 2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Shawn Dodson

Sling – I personally don’t like a sling, conventional two-point or any other, on a long gun used for home defense. IMO it gets in the way (something else to manage), may snag on protrusions, can knock over nick-nacks/lamps/other "stuff" as you maneuver around furnishings, and interferes with smooth transition from strong side mount to weak side, vice-versa, when cornering.

Pistol grip only shotgun stocks – I believe there is an awful lot of uninformed opinion based on lack of experience in using this weapon. Correctly used, the pistol grip is pressed against the side of the rib cage, underneath the pectoral muscle, just as one does when mounting a handgun in retention position. In fact, this mount can be used with any shotgun. I switch in and out of this mount frequently when clearing.

Intended for use in tight quarters, the pistol grip only butt stock, is very manageable and accurate for CQF, especially if one must negotiate an alcove-like doorway/passageway, created either by wall layout or placement of furnishings.

Despite these two disagreements, Creeper did a great job of presenting the pros and cons of various shotgun accessories!

Last edited by Shawn Dodson; December 17, 2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old December 17, 2008, 02:26 PM   #21
Cold_DeadHands

Quote:
Cold_DeadHands... If everyone would do that at least once a month... that'd be great. I know your the kind of guy that after killing all those miscreant milk jugs, you pick them up, take them home and give them a proper burial in your trash bin... yes?
Sure I do! I'm running out of Milk Jugs tho... was going to go out and shoot some more today but don't have any worthy targets at hand. Any suggestions?
Old December 17, 2008, 02:28 PM   #22
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman66
What, no mention of farkle ammo? The bolos, rubber balls, bean bags and speary things. Funny stuff.

Pass the koolaid please.
I use assorted buck and slugs mostly, with WalMart econo-ammo thrown in to keep costs down... so I know very little about the assorted "specialty ammo".
I did get shot in the butt with rock salt by a farmer back when I was a kid... but I don't think rock salt is much in vogue anymore.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I, that has used some of the specialty ammo could write an objective treatise on the subject.

Mmmmmm, KoolAid.

C
Old December 17, 2008, 02:31 PM   #23
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold_DeadHands
Sure I do! I'm running out of Milk Jugs tho... was going to go out and shoot some more today but don't have any worthy targets at hand. Any suggestions?
Not too many places in the woods to shoot around here... at least not legally. When I run out of milk jugs, I bring a box or two of White Flyer biodegradable clays and smoke them.

That, or start drinking more milk.

C
Old December 17, 2008, 02:39 PM   #24
Cold_DeadHands

ahh...I see you are in Washington. I live in Texas on 10.5 Acres, can do what I want to on my property!
Old December 17, 2008, 02:42 PM   #25
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson
Sling – I personally don’t like a sling, conventional two-point or any other, on a long gun used for home defense. IMO it gets in the way (something else to manage), may snag on protrusions, can knock over nick-nacks/lamps/other "stuff" as you maneuver around furnishings, and interferes with smooth transition from strong side mount to weak side, vice-versa, when cornering.

Pistol grip only shotgun stocks – I believe there is an awful lot of uninformed opinion based on lack of experience in using this weapon. Correctly used, the pistol grip is pressed against the side of the rib cage, underneath the pectoral muscle, just as one does when mounting a handgun in retention position.

Intended for use in tight quarters, the pistol grip only butt stock, is very manageable and accurate for CQF, especially if one must negotiate an alcove-like doorway/passageway, created either by wall layout or placement of furnishings.

Despite these two disagreements, Creeper did a great job of presenting the pros and cons of various shotgun accessories!
Hi Shawn,

I'd have to agree with both of your assessments. From your perspective, and to meet your needs, the points you raise are valid, and obviously sufficiently qualified to be well considered by anyone.

Practically anything you attach to a shotgun, or any gun, has some kind of compromise involved. It's more a matter sometimes of what set of compromises are you willing to trade off.

Physical condition, environment, training... the list could go on a bit, and every element of your situation creates unique circumstances with unique responses to that circumstance.

We'd all have to do the proverbial mile walk in each others shoes to better and fully understand our sometimes opposing points of view.

C