The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2009, 06:03 PM   #26
BigRodPackin

i can tell you this.

i personally own several high $$$ shotguns. rugers,benellis,berettas weatherby athena ect. i also own several less expensive shotguns like the mossberg 500, the remington 870, a couple of cheap baikals,etc.....

one thing i learned a long time ago. they all shoot the same shells, and as long as the forcing cones are right, they will all shoot the same .

get yourself a nice 870 or mossberg and call it done.
Old January 28, 2009, 08:05 PM   #27
Demaiter

BigRodPackin... sooo true what you said about they all shooting the same shells....

So that being said - pick the one that you like and that fits you the best.

Doubles are favored because of how easily they can be proven "safe."
Clay games also sometimes require 2 shots and doubles have two follow up shots... w/o needing to cycle an action
Doubles don't send your shells flying - you'll have to pick them up if they do if your gun is a semi or pump...
People say the like the balance/swing of a double.

Pumps
Personally I think the Remington 870 Wingmaster is a FINELY crafted shotgun.
The 870 Express is the same action/reliability but the finish isn't as nice
I also like the Browning BPS - fine shotgun but annoying how you have to load it... I guess that is the downfall of having a bottom ejecting gun...
I found the Benelli super nova to be a bit "slippery" feeling.

Semis
Remington 1100 is a really nice gun
Benelli makes beautiful shotguns
Beretta makes nice ones too
Winchester too
Basically any brand name
Stoeger is a great bang for the buck semi but its more of a hunting type design...

If you get a pump which I recommend I also recommend a recoil pad if it doesn't come with one. There is nothing wrong admitting you want reduced recoil. Reduced recoil makes you a better shot and allows for faster follow up shots. My 1100 has a recoil pad and is gas operated and I can shoot it for hours. My BPS doesn't and I can feel it after about 10... I think I'm going to have to cough up the cash and spend another $125 for a recoil pad and installation...

Last edited by Demaiter; January 28, 2009 at 08:13 PM.