The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 6, 2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Casimer

punch size for the j-frame hand spring pin?

Which punch size should be used to remove the small hand spring pin in the trigger of a J-Frame revolver?
Old November 6, 2008, 08:19 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

This doesn't sound very professional but I had a short stubby punch I used on those pins, and never actually looked at the size. I assume the hand spring needs to be replaced, as that is the only reason to want to remove it.

Jim
Old November 6, 2008, 11:05 PM   #3
capbuster

I believe you are referring to the hole that is used to hold the hammer spring captive. If this is correct, you might try using a straight pin such as are used to hem clothing. Its cheap and has worked for me.
Old November 7, 2008, 01:56 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

No, I think the pin Casimer is referring to is the one in the trigger that holds the "mousetrap" hand spring in the older S&W's. It is a single wrap spring; one end rests on the stud in the hand and the other in the trigger. To remove the spring, you have to remove the small pin that holds it. As I said, there is no reason to remove the spring unless it weakens or breaks, both very unlikely conditions.

In the latest revision, the hole and the pin are gone, and the spring sits in a hole in the trigger. That method is as good as the other and a lot less expensive to make and assemble, but it would probably not be possible without using MIM for the trigger.

Jim
Old November 7, 2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Casimer

Quote:
No, I think the pin Casimer is referring to is the one in the trigger that holds the "mousetrap" hand spring in the older S&W's.
That's right. I'm rebuilding a j-frame trigger which has a hand spring that's been bent way out of shape ( don't know why ). So I purchased a new spring from Numrich.

This trigger has three pins, one of which serves as the hub of the hand spring. But unlike the larger 3 pin triggers I've seen, where each pin is of equal diameter, the j-frame trigger's hand spring pin is smaller than the others ( i.e. less than 1/16").

I haven't come across a punch smaller than 1/16". It looks like I'll need to improvise.
Old November 7, 2008, 08:00 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I had a lot of punches I made or turned down for specific purposes. Make a very short punch (punch area 1/4" long or less) for use as a starter punch; any longer and a punch that small will bend.

I suspect a previous owner removed the hand and couldn't figure out how to get it back in and connect the spring, so he ruined the spring trying.

Jim
Old November 8, 2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Casimer

Quote:
I had a lot of punches I made or turned down for specific purposes.
That seems like the right approach. I've found some smaller punches, but they're long and some are pretty pricey.

thanks