The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 30, 2011, 09:51 AM   #1
poppa59hd

Savage 720 barrel w/Weaver variable choke

Actually, I have 2 questions. I have a Savage 720 12ga. which has a Weaver interchangeable choke on it. Apparently, the choke tubes can be unscrewed and changed from Full- to "whatever". The one in it, now, is marked "FC" (full choke?) My question on this is "Are these choke tubes still available anywhere"? The choke is marked Weaver, El Paso, Texas and, as most of you probably know, Weaver hasn't been doing business in El Paso for a good many years. A phone call to Weaver's Customer Service revealed no one there even knew Weaver ever built a shotgun choke. Can anyone shed some light on this thing or point me in the right direction?
My second question is barrel interchangeability. Since the Savage 720 was a licensed copy of the Browning A5, will a barrel from a Browning fit my Savage a function safely? I just don't know anyone that owns a Browning so I can't try it myself. Any suggestions here?
I've had this gun for a good many years, never use it much (I have an 1100 Remington, also), but it shoots as nicely, if not nicer, than my 1100 Rem. and there's a certain classy sexy look to the old square-back Browning-style autoloaders. I'd love to get this old classic back out in the field a bit more.
Old July 30, 2011, 10:37 AM   #2
zippy13

I've never heard of a Weaver choke. It sounds like a version of a Cutts with screw in choke tubes. Perhaps Cutts tubes would work. You could contact Briley or Corsons Barrels and ask what they know about the Weaver unit.

Sorry, I don't have a clue about the barrel interchangeability.