The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 14, 2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Jesse Tischauser

Boomfab Titane Titanium Bolt Carrier

Looks like the Titane just hit the market. This thing is the lightest bolt carrier on the market. It made my already flat 3-gun rifle even flatter. I ordered two more. I love mine!

www.boomfab.com

Old May 15, 2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Jesse Tischauser

Here is some more info on the application and use of these carriers for competition or just having an awesome flat shooting rifle.

When I first started testing these first thing I did was simply pulled the JP carrier out of my Stag 3G and put the Titane in. My first thought was there is a difference but is it enough to matter? I then turned the gas down a 1/2 to 1 turn. number of turns on the adj gas blcok will depend on the adjustable gas block you're using. I then shot my Titane equipped rifle with less gas side-by-side against my JP equipped rifle. I was shooting off hand shots at 50 yards on an MGM targets plate rack. The plates are 8". I could instantly see a significant difference in how much the dot inside my Swarovski reticle moved. Then Keith Garcia came up with the following drill to show what it can do.

Loaded 10 rounds in two mags so weight wasn't an issue.
Both test rifles where Stag Arms 3G with Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 scopes zoomed up to 5x.
Targets where at 50 yards.
Target is a 3-Gun Nation dirty bird target shot off hand i.e. no support
I shot double true taps with meaning one sight picture two trigger pulls as fast as I could.
Using a timer to make sure splits were similar I was getting .17-.21 splits between shots.

Here are the results.

Boomfab Target

JP Target

I didn't use a stock rifle because I don't have any stock rifles.

I'm told the production carrier is 4.3 oz or thereabouts so it lost a little weight compared to the prototype you see here.

Boomfab

JP LMOS

Young Manufacturing
Old May 15, 2014, 01:48 PM   #3
DT Guy

Might be good to note that you're a sponsored shooter, like they had you do on THR.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old May 15, 2014, 03:20 PM   #4
g.willikers

Does that expensive part come with a guarantee?
Will it make me as good and fast a shot as Jesse?
Old May 15, 2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Jesse Tischauser

"Might be good to note that you're a sponsored shooter, like they had you do on THR.

Larry"

I don't know how to quote on this forum cause there ain't no button down below. As far as being sponsored by Boomfab goes I used to actually compete against the guy that builds these carriers. He had to stop competing (thankfully for us because he was darn good) to work on this project and other business ventures. I wouldn't consider our relationship a sponsorship because I'm not being paid to use this product. I was given one to test and to try to break. Now that they hit production I've actually bought two of them.

So it's kinda like going to Walmart on Friday when they give you free food samples to taste hoping you like it so you buy something.

Competitor shooting isn't Nascar unfortunately.
Old May 15, 2014, 05:51 PM   #6
RickB

You have to have adjustable gas to use the part? It's not only a matter of not getting max benefit, but wouldn't you beat . . . something in the gun to death, if you don't turn-down the gas?
Old May 15, 2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Jesse Tischauser

I can't answer that as I'm not an expert in full gas guns. Personally I wouldn't spend the money on it if I wasn't going to tune the gas system with it.
Old May 26, 2014, 04:44 PM   #8
Jesse Tischauser

I received the production version of the Titane Carrier last week. It came it 0.3 oz lighter at 4.4 oz. The full BCG weighs in at 6.5 oz.