The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 3, 2008, 04:48 PM   #1
orbit1212

Ranges in SC

Dose anyone know of any good ranges in uperstate sc Greenville, Spartanburg area
Old March 3, 2008, 04:54 PM   #2
hoytinak

I can't help you much but here's a great forum for NC and SC both that have range sections. http://carolinashootersforum.com/ind...b63abce2e6ee4f
Old March 3, 2008, 05:26 PM   #3
deanadell

Orbit,

Where are you?

I shoot at the Forestry Dept range in Clinton.....Philsons Cross Roads Range.

I also shoot at the DNR range in Spartanburg.

There is also a nice Board of Public Works range in Gaffney...
Old March 10, 2008, 07:01 PM   #4
orbit1212

in Spartanburg. where is the dnr range
Old March 11, 2008, 06:29 AM   #5
cnjaxx

It is on 56 in Pauline. That's where I shoot at.
Old March 11, 2008, 09:19 AM   #6
deanadell

SCDNR James O. Thomason Firing Range (Spartanburg County) From Pauline, take SC Hwy. 215 approximately ½ mile east toward Glenn Springs. Turn left on Foster Mill Road and drive 2.5 miles (paved road becomes gravel road). Range is on the left side of the road. Hours: Tuesday - Saturday: 9 am - 5 pm (EST) or as posted. Closed Sunday and Monday.

The are the directions off the SCDNR web site. Just head south out of town on 56....it will join up with 215 for a mile or so, then 215 breaks off to ther left. As soon as you veer left on to 215 you will see the SCDNR sign on the left a hundred yards or so down the road....this is Foster Mill ROad.

Only drawback to this range is that handguns are only allowed on Wednesdays.
Old March 11, 2008, 05:06 PM   #7
orbit1212

will prob be there this weekend then
Old April 27, 2008, 03:18 PM   #8
BerettaFox

there's a new indoor range opening up here in greenville. go to www.allenarms.net you can see basically what it is. There's also a nice range over in pickens county. you drive through a trailer park to get to it and it seems really sketchy, but it's really nice and is totally worth the little drive to get to it. it has the clothesline system to reel in and out pistol targets. best of all it's free.
Old April 27, 2008, 04:27 PM   #9
orbit1212

thanks bro
Old March 13, 2011, 07:30 PM   #10
rc4stroker

Hand Guns

I know this thread is way old, but here goes.
Has anyone used the Pauline range to shot handguns?
Old March 13, 2011, 07:51 PM   #11
jclayto

My reply will be as dated as this post The last time I shot at this range, circa 2008ish they did not have a dedicated pistol range. They did have a secondary rifle range that was not in use and the range officer allowed me to walk down that range so that I could shoot handguns at an acceptable range.

Happy shooting! BTW, shooting through the concrete tubes there was quite the hoot, especially with my Garand.
Old March 22, 2011, 05:49 PM   #12
rc4stroker

Pauline SC range update

I stopped by the Pauline SC shooting range this afternoon just to look around. I was welcomed at the entrance with open arms by range officer Wayne Smith. He could not have been nicer to me. He gave me the run down on the two ranges and how things operated there on Wednesday when pistols were allowed. He explained that they wanted to get a dedicated pistol range, but we all know how tight money is right now. I told him that I would be glad to write or e-mail whomever if it would speed things along. He totally looked over the fact that I was a newbie and asked me if I had any questions about the range. I am eager to go back and shoot there as soon as I can.
Old April 12, 2011, 02:39 PM   #13
oprogue

The range in Pauline is a well kept secret. Probably the best public range I've ever shot at. The RO there (Wayne) stays pretty much on top of things. Everyone I've encountered there has been super nice. Some friends from the Charlie6 forum also shoot there, you can read some of the articles echogreenlight has written - they have all been about shooters there at the Spartanburg DNR range:

A Day at the Range: A Silenced Remington .308

A Day at the Range: Jamm'n AR10

A Day at the Range: The KelTek RFB Bullpup

The .303 BVAC Misfire Pt. 1

You can see some of the benches and part of the berm in some of the photos he's taken.

He posts regularly in the forum (<-link) for the website - writes his articles as he sees it. Pretty straight forward guy, doesn't use any names in the articles. If you see him hit him up, the dude loves to shoot - introduce yourself, he may just do an article on you!

If you do go by, take Wayne a cold Pepsi (it's hot in that tin can they have him in), tell him "Ralph" from Inman/charlie6.org sent ya (that's echogreenlight). Wayne will get a kick out of it.