The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 12, 2013, 07:24 AM   #1
kcub

High standard quality (revolvers)

I had a garage band way back in the 70s and owned a sentinel snub .22 magnum. I traded it to my lead guitar player, a hispanic fella who rode a Harley. He said some rednecks in a pickup messed with him and next time he wanted to ventilate their radiator and roar off. I liked that story, so I traded it off.

Anyway, back in my youth I didn't know much about anything. Were these guns high quality or 2nd fiddle?
Old April 12, 2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Sarge

Distant second fiddle to Smith, Colts and Rugers. Still not bad guns by any means.
Old April 12, 2013, 08:35 AM   #3
lowercase

I picked up a Sentinel .22 mag with 3" barrel last year. Gun was in decent shape.

With CCI Maxi-Mag 40-grn, it keyholed like crazy.

With multiple other types of ammo, it wouldn't group worth a darn. Traded it away. I've heard good things about these guns, but mine just didn't do well.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:44 AM   #4
psyfly

"If you get a good one..."

I had a 4" Sentinel .22lr for years that was an absolute tack-driver. After it was lost to a burglar, I always wanted to replace it.

Finally did a couple of years ago with a 6" model. Best I can say about accuracy is "fair to middlin'".

W.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Jeff #111

I have a copy of the 1979 Gun Digest annual. Imagine my amazement when I saw that High Standard made a 44 magnum revolver back then. Anyone have any experience with that revolver? Just curious. Moving from making affordable 22 caliber revolvers and pistols to a 44 magnum revolver is a BIG jump.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Willie Sutton

Being a bit of a High Standard collector and fan...

High Standard's forte was their .22 autoloaders. But even there, for every target-quality Victor, Olympic, or Supermatic Citation built there were a dozen plinker-quality autos made. All are nice, some are superb. The nicer ones were on a par with the S&W Model 41, and even the lower grade ones are nicer than any Ruger that has ever been built. They competed directly with the Colt Woodman series.

The balance of the HS line was pretty eclectic, and ranged from revolutionary (HS Model 10A and 10B bullpup shotguns) to the mundane. They made shotguns, small over/under derringers, revolvers, and even a black powder Colt 1860 Army copy. There were a variety of success rates in these designs. Their revolvers were not their main product line (see semi-auto .22's, which were), and never really received much praise other than that they were functional, and that they were made with good materials.

Their .22 revolvers were working-class ones, lesser than Colt and S&W, nicer probably or at least on a par with H&R, etc. Enjoy them, don't expect to retire on their appreciation in your portfolio of firearms investments.

HS Sentinal? <yawn>...

Willie

Old April 12, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Jeff #111

Massad Ayoob in Greatest Handguns of the World gives the High-Standard 22 revolver it's own chapter and the pistols get a chapter in the 2nd volume.
Old April 12, 2013, 11:44 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

My Dad had a Sentinel when I was a kid. 6", 9shot, all steel. Looked like a .38spl at a glance. Shot as well as anything else. Would love to have one of my own.

High Standard made a lot of guns, ranging from top shelf quality to budget grade working class guns.

The also made the Sentinal with an aluminium alloy frame. I prefer the steel ones.

My brother had a (Fliteking?) 20 ga pump. Nice gun, but not top grade, on a par with Stevens, not Rem or Win...

One of our neighbors had a Durango, a 9 shot swing out cylinder that looked like a Colt Single action.

The .44 Magnum referred to was the Crusader. Not many made. Interesting gun, used a lever (not a button) for the cylinder latch, and the same lever was also the safety! Yes, a large frame DA .44 magnum with a safety! A handful were heavily engraved and inlaid.

Hi Standard also produced the last few Auto Mags made.
Old April 12, 2013, 11:49 AM   #9
natman

The Crusader is rarely seen.

I've got a "High Standard" 357 revolver that's an early Dan Wesson in HS drag.

HS also built the JC Higgins Model 50 bolt action rifle in 30-06 and 270 using a chrome lined HS barrel on an FN Mauser action.

They did a lot of things.
Old April 12, 2013, 12:16 PM   #10
craZivn

Ah, the 70s. when you could pepper a pickup truck with a .22 and ride away like a boss, with no fear of terrorism charges or cell-phone witnesses.

Ivan
Old April 12, 2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Carmady

It sounds like you had a Sentinel Mk IV .22 Mag with the short barrel. They often sell for $400-500+ online.
Old April 12, 2013, 12:30 PM   #12
kcub

They were threatening him. Tailgating, otherwise jacking with him. Not fun if you are on the bike. IMO, they would have had it coming.