The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 23, 2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Georgian

1851 R-M Conversion

Hey yall. I just picked up my 1851 R-M conversion, but am noticing a problem
with the cylinder bolt marking up the cylinder already, as well as the timing being off. When I cock it with a two-hand grip with the off hand semi-fast, I notice the cylinder under rotates. In other words, it doesn't rotate all the way and lock up. I have taken the gun apart and smoothed the bolt off because it was extremely roughly finished, but it didnt seem to help much. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless
Old February 23, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Hawg

If its not turning far enough the hand is too short. If the bolt is putting a ring on the cylinder its probably from letting the hammer down from half cock.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Georgian

You mean the hand as in the piece on the hammer rotating the cylinder? Well, I've owned single actions long enough I very rarely let down the hammer from half cock, I always cock fulling and ease the hammer down. Yes it is marking the cylinder pretty bad, as well as when cocked fast, the cylinder doesn't rotate far enough to lock up. I switch out the bolt and mainspring from my Uberti Hombre .357 and the cylinder rotates too far foward if cocked fast. I just received this gun yesterday and so far am pretty disappointed. Would a new bolt from VTI fix matters?

God Bless
Old February 23, 2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

How about....

... go back to the person or organization who sold you the pistol and tell THEM to make it right?
Old February 23, 2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Hawg

How does it work when cocked normally? The hand regulates how far the cylinder turns, swapping the bolt out shouldn't change that. It could be the hand spring in part but I'm with Doc, take it back.