The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2006, 09:44 PM   #26
Guntalk

Wheeee! This is fun.

What is the difference between a $1,000 and a $2,000 gun.

About a grand.

But, seriously, folks . . . .

You just are going to have to see them. You might like 'em. Might hate 'em. I suspect you'll think they are priced pretty well. I do have some issues with a few cosmetics, and they have to get the trigger pull weight right, but they are mightly nice.

Doesn't matter what name is on the gun. The only thing that matters is the gun.

If anyone here will be at SHOT, take a look. Pick them up. Then, post your own thoughts.
Old December 6, 2006, 10:49 PM   #27
bergie

Guntalk,
I do agree with you that "Doesn't matter what name is on the gun. The only thing that matters is the gun".
Obviously, I haven't handled one yet, but what I am seeing from your links and your description is a $2100 single nonselective trigger with a heavy pull, and fixed chokes. 2 barrels choked differently but no ability to choose which one you shoot, what is the thought process behind choosing to manufacture that? Why not a selective trigger or double triggers?
You liked the way they handled but thought they should lighten the barrels, then went on to ask for longer barrels. You liked the weight of the 20, and asked for a waterfowl model 12 g. to weigh about 7.5 lbs which has always been considered a nice lightweight field gun, but you had said to lose the recoil pad and now you want to put a recoil reducer in the stock?
The Huglu/CZ guns offer features not available from S & W, selectors and tubes for a little less than half what the S & W will cost, and the new Charles Daly sxs has these features for a third of the price. These are the guns that the public will be comparing the S & W to, other Turkish made guns, not the Italian "B" guns you compare them to in your reviews.
So, the S & W execs "get it" and were "polite enough " not to throw you out of the office when you offered some suggestions. What is it that they get? They are offering stripped down guns without the features most shooters want and most other makers have and charging a pretty penney for them
The pictures do look nice, but I think I will have to wait to see one in person, which will be when? Probably not for a long time if ever. I can't think of a single gunshop within a 60 mile radius that will stock these, they don't even stock S & W pistols.
bergie