The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 21, 2013, 01:09 AM   #1
Drizzt

(TX) Austin police chief shows his colors again

In other news, our wonderful Austin police chief has come out with his opinion that citizens who do not agree with him are 'lying extremist with undeveloped brains'. Art Acevedo, the political hack that he is, basically insults people who disagree with his opinion that universal background checks should be mandatory. I find it rather interesting that the sheriffs around the country, who are accountable to the citizens, are generally against new gun legislation that imposes greater hardship on said citizens, while the police chiefs, who are politicians only accountable to other politicians, seem to love the idea of greater regulation. Interesting also that the chief thinks there are not enough gun laws, but has come out in favor of not enforcing laws regarding illegal immigration.

http://twitchy.com/2013/05/19/civili...******=twitter
"That a free citizen should have to go before a committee, hat in hand, and pray for permission to bear arms - fantastic! Arm your daughter, sir, and pay no attention to petty bureaucrats." Robert Heinlein - Red Planet
Old May 21, 2013, 01:12 AM   #2
Drizzt

The media stated that Acevedo had apologizedhttp://www.kvue.com/news/Austin-Poli...208224661.html for his comment, but this was no apology, just more ranting by someone who got caught running his mouth.
"That a free citizen should have to go before a committee, hat in hand, and pray for permission to bear arms - fantastic! Arm your daughter, sir, and pay no attention to petty bureaucrats." Robert Heinlein - Red Planet
Old May 21, 2013, 06:47 AM   #3
CowTowner

Didn't he move here (Texas) from California?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 21, 2013, 06:51 AM   #4
csmsss

Ahhhh....Travis County. Great music venues and...not much else but lunacy at its most profound.
Old May 21, 2013, 06:59 AM   #5
arch308

Travis County, the armpit of Texas.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:23 AM   #6
zincwarrior

Quote:
Travis County, the armpit of Texas.

And they would say the same of the Dallas Metroplex.
Austin is lefty. Its also full of California transplants. Thats fine. They get what they vote for. Things change and that will change over time too.

At the same time, Austin also has the excellent Austin Rifle Club with its plethora of competitions. In the interim: Keep Austin Weird and Round Rock Normal!
Old May 21, 2013, 07:34 AM   #7
ChrisTx

Blue county blow hard. Dallas is trying to compete with them for that title.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:46 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Let's stick to the legal and political aspects of the Chief's statements, rather than bashing whole geographical regions, please.
Old May 21, 2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

Austin has plenty of folks dedicated to the RKBA and are fine shooters.

As Spats said - continue with area insults at your peril.

As far as the police chief - I heard his deputy at the House hearings on campus carry. Uninformed and totally antigun. The deputy was vaporized by the state pro-gun representatives.

Won't help though -

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; May 21, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old May 21, 2013, 09:16 AM   #10
zincwarrior

Yes, he is not liked by the pro gun community. Interestingly, he's not liked by the...er criminal apologist crowd either. For the life of me I'm not sure why he was hired in the first place. OK, I take that back, him being from California had a lot to do with it (seriously).
Old May 21, 2013, 10:13 AM   #11
kilimanjaro

Is there an ability to do a recall of the Sheriff? These folks need to feel the heat.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:47 AM   #12
2ndsojourn

It's not the sheriff that's the problem, it's the police chief.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:35 AM   #13
arch308

I apologize for my earlier statement about Travis County. It was a stupid knee jerk reaction. As for the cut at Dallas, I won't argue that either.
I'm a Fort Worth boy and believe me, it has it's share of troubles too.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:48 PM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Is there an ability to do a recall of the Sheriff?
Sheriffs are elected, which means he serves at the pleasure of the public. The people of Austin can vote him out of office if they like.

In fact, that's why we often see vastly different attitudes about the 2A between police chiefs and sheriffs. The first group are political appointees, while the second are accountable to the general public.
Old May 21, 2013, 01:09 PM   #15
zincwarrior

Quote:
I apologize for my earlier statement about Travis County. It was a stupid knee jerk reaction. As for the cut at Dallas, I won't argue that either.
I'm a Fort Worth boy and believe me, it has it's share of troubles too.
Well, it is state law that Dallas, Houston, and Austin will all make fun of each other. San Antonio just lets them all bask in its TexMex glory.

To be a bit anal, thats sheriff of Travis County I believe. You don't hear much about them. You get lots on the Austin police from the local news.
Old May 21, 2013, 02:25 PM   #16
csmsss

Typically, police chiefs are appointed by mayors and run a city's police department, and sheriffs are elected by the citizens of a county and do not officially report to a civilian politician.

In practice, this means that the police chief is nearly always a reflection of the politics of the mayor who appoints him or her, and in the case of Chief Acevedo, this is no exception.

Neither police chiefs nor sheriffs are necessarily required to be professional law enforcement officers prior to their assumption of office; this is, however, infrequent as many states impose minimum training and certification requirements before they will authorize that sheriff or police chief to be a licensed peace officer under that state's jurisdiction.

http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/Docum..._requir_11.pdf

There are, interestingly enough, examples in Texas where sheriffs and chiefs are voted/appointed into office without possessing the required credentials to be a Texas peace officer.
Old May 21, 2013, 04:08 PM   #17
hermannr

Latest CoP for Spokane WA was not qualified to be a WA LE officer when he was appointed, even though he had been with several out of state Federal, state and local LE organizations prior to. He is qualified now.
Old May 23, 2013, 02:20 PM   #18
bikerbill

Acevedo did indeed come here from CA and brought his anti-gun screed with him ... I'm a Travis County resident (not Austin) and know many fine gun-rights supporters in this backwater of liberalism ...