The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 23, 2001, 09:51 PM   #1
CD1

Muzzle loader incedent/ignorant me

This afternoon my father in law and I went to shoot his new muzzle loader. I brought mine to shoot as well. We both have the same type, so I was showing him the ropes. I had him blow a primer to clear the breech of oil before we started shooting. No big deal, he puts a patch down the barrel, puts in his primer...pop. Piece of cake. A little while later I had him perform the same manuever on mine. Puts a patch down the barrel, puts in a primer...BOOOOOOMMMM. The gun goes flying out of his hands and lands on the ground behind him. I had a charge in the barrel from last year that I never pulled out. I have never left a charge in the barrel over the off season. I was totally shocked. We are both gun safety fanatics, so everyone was behind the firing line, and gun was pointed in a safe direction, no material loss. A very inexpensive lesson. This was the first firearms "incident" I have ever had, and I have been shooting a long time. Thank God for maintaining vigilance when it comes to gun safety, I can think of a lot of worse endings for this story. The worst of it is that I might have to buy a new barrel, the ramrod shattered and scarred my barrel down the entire length. Good night, and stay safe.
Old June 24, 2001, 10:22 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Some 50 or 60 years ago, my father unloaded his .257 Roberts, jacking the shells onto a bed. He thought they were all out; closed the bolt and pulled the trigger.

Have you any idea how loud is a .257 Roberts, inside a bedroom?

I learned from his "thereafter-style": I always poke my little finger up into the chamber to make absolutely sure there is nothing there.

Never forget Mario Andretti's comment about Indy-car racers, for its message applies to shooters: "There are two kinds of racers at Indy--those who HAVE hit the wall, and those who WILL hit the wall."

, Art

(Moved to Art Of The Rifle forum)
Old June 24, 2001, 10:50 PM   #3
WiFAL

Next time you put a charge in the barrel put your ramrod in and mark where it stops. In the future, slide the marked rod down the barrel prior to snapping caps to determine if its loaded.
Old June 25, 2001, 04:42 AM   #4
PreserveFreedom

The important thing is that nobody got hurt. Now, if he starts flinching when shooting, you can load one of them and not tell him which.

Old June 25, 2001, 11:16 AM   #5
brouhaha

Someone on one of the boards (may have been this one) had a similar story. They inserted a primer and put their thumb over the barrel to see if the nipple was clogged. Instead of a little pressure, their thumb was blown off by a forgotten charge. Live and learn I guess...

brouhaha
Rem. 870 Express, 1914 8mm Mauser, 1899 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser
Go TCU Frogs!
Old June 25, 2001, 11:26 AM   #6
BigG

Brouhaha, that could be an honorable mention for the Darwin Awards.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 25, 2001, 11:55 AM   #7
Redlg155

I beleive someone posted about a guy who snapped a cap, observerd no fire come out the barrel, and then placed his mouth over the barrel to blow into it..hoping the clear the charge!

Now that would be a great way to cleanse the gene pool!

Good Shooting
RED
Old June 25, 2001, 11:56 AM   #8
Redlg155

oops...I meant to say nipple...

Red