The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 10, 2015, 01:26 AM   #1
Cowboyboots

New Hunting Rifle

I am trying to decide on what I want to get for a medium hunting rifle with $1,000 budget up to $1,200 budget. Right now I have tied it down to CZ 557 .30-06 and Vortex Diamondback HP scope. I currently own a CZ 452 .22lr and have been very impressed with it. Does anybody have any advice on this setup or suggestions for a better setup with this budget in mind? Thanks in advance
Old January 10, 2015, 11:57 AM   #2
RC20

I think the CZ is a fine choice.

I don't have any experience with the Vortex line, I am very partial to Leopold or their USA made Redding (Revolution) (they are importing one called the Evolution now I think)

For sure other choices such as Winchester or Weatherby in that price range, Remington someplace in there as well.

Its what suits you, you can even buy a Sporter 1903 and do really well with them.
Old January 11, 2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Pathfinder45

With that budget I would try to find a deal on the Winchester model 70 Alaskan.
Old January 11, 2015, 05:16 PM   #4
Pathfinder45

And Leupold scope, definitely.
Old January 11, 2015, 06:38 PM   #5
Cowboyboots

This will be my first center fire rifle so I am still learning what advantages to look for. Thank you for the responses. I am looking for a nice hunting rifle that is dependable, reasonable in weight, and looks good on the shelf when it is not being used. Every firearm I own has a wood stock and would like this one to also have that. What suggestions do you have for a Leuopold scope? I have read many good reviews on Vortex and their price and guarantee was impressive.
Old January 11, 2015, 06:53 PM   #6
jrhilde

Cowboyboots ---- very good choice, awhile back I saw the new CZ 557 carbine and promptly ordered one in 30-06--- Mine's wearing a Nikon 4-12x40mm Prostaff, range finding reticle---- I was attracted to the carbine length barrel and will try it with just the irons also due to the clever fiber optic front sight. The front sight is adjustable for elevation while the rear handles windage---the craftsmanship, fit and finish are all top notch which is what I have always had with CZ and if I can ever slow down enough to get out to the range, it will shoot as good as the enclosed test target or better, they always do ----
I really liked the looks, resembles a dangerous game rifle with the short, but average size barrel---metal is all smooth and evenly finished, stock has very little grain, but has a cheekpiece and has a nice satin finish ---fully floated barrel--- they are not light but the slight extra weight will help suck up the recoil --- let us know what you think of it ------- John
Old January 11, 2015, 07:06 PM   #7
jrhilde

I didn't shop around much and at that time they did not have the new 557 at Bud's so I paid pretty much retail on mine, just under $800, but if you do go with the CZ, with your high end budget of $1200, you'll have $400 for a scope---You will need a set of the CZ rings, I think Midwest carries them. You said this will be your first rifle ? Good choice --- my first was a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 and it was great but this one will do nicely---

CZ has been building very accurate rifles for a long time ----
Old January 11, 2015, 08:23 PM   #8
hooligan1

I dont own a CZ, but they look like nice quality rifles, but I do own 5 Vortex scopes, all very fine quality..I also have the Vortex Diamonback 4-12x40, BDC reticle, its nice for the money...I've owned some very nice Leupold scopes too, I like Vortex.
Old January 11, 2015, 08:26 PM   #9
Kimber84

I can attest to Vortex, excellent value for the money and hands down the best warranty service I've ever dealt with. I broke a set of binos and they turned them around in less than a week completely fixed.

I don't own any of the diamondback line of product, but I do own three vipers and they've all been great.
Old January 11, 2015, 08:34 PM   #10
BumbleBug

Does it have to be a bolt action? Ruger #1 single-shot with a nice Leupold. The ultimate look good, shoot good all with exceptional quality.

FWIW...

...bug
Old January 11, 2015, 08:35 PM   #11
RIDE-RED 350r

Deleted.... Not quite what the OP was asking.... My mistake

Last edited by RIDE-RED 350r; January 11, 2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old January 11, 2015, 10:25 PM   #12
Pathfinder45

I like a fairly plain Leupold 3-9x40. I don't want anything bigger and can't stand big ol' gaudy tacticool knobs and such. I like a fairly simple duplex reticle, again, no nonsense. The scope should be a complementary enhancement to a good rifle, not dominating the relationship. I mount a scope on a rifle; I never mount a rifle on a big, fat, honkin', telescope.
About the rifle: Vintage or new?
for a new rifle, I find this one compelling: http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...asp?mid=535205
but there are a lot of nice older rifles out there I find are perhaps even more interesting.
Old January 12, 2015, 01:23 AM   #13
Cowboyboots

First off I sound stupid asking this but I can't figure out how to link each post in my reply, could someone explain to me how to do this?

Cowboyboots ---- very good choice, awhile back I saw the new CZ 557 carbine and promptly ordered one in 30-06--- Mine's wearing a Nikon 4-12x40mm Prostaff, range finding reticle---- I was attracted to the carbine length barrel and will try it with just the irons also due to the clever fiber optic front sight. The front sight is adjustable for elevation while the rear handles windage---the craftsmanship, fit and finish are all top notch which is what I have always had with CZ and if I can ever slow down enough to get out to the range, it will shoot as good as the enclosed test target or better, they always do ----
I really liked the looks, resembles a dangerous game rifle with the short, but average size barrel---metal is all smooth and evenly finished, stock has very little grain, but has a cheekpiece and has a nice satin finish ---fully floated barrel--- they are not light but the slight extra weight will help suck up the recoil --- let us know what you think of it ------- John
I didn't shop around much and at that time they did not have the new 557 at Bud's so I paid pretty much retail on mine, just under $800, but if you do go with the CZ, with your high end budget of $1200, you'll have $400 for a scope---You will need a set of the CZ rings, I think Midwest carries them. You said this will be your first rifle ? Good choice --- my first was a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 and it was great but this one will do nicely---

CZ has been building very accurate rifles for a long time ----

John thanks for the details on the 557, have you fired it yet? Are the rings that you suggested of high quality? I do know that the quality of your rings will impact the quality of your scope. This will be my first "larger" rifle but I do have a CZ452 .22LR.

I dont own a CZ, but they look like nice quality rifles, but I do own 5 Vortex scopes, all very fine quality..I also have the Vortex Diamonback 4-12x40, BDC reticle, its nice for the money...I've owned some very nice Leupold scopes too, I like Vortex.
Hooligan thanks for the details on Vortex, from what I have read is the Diamondback HP is even better than the Diamondback. With that in mind which Vortex would your recommend with my budget in mind (around $400) or Leopold?

I can attest to Vortex, excellent value for the money and hands down the best warranty service I've ever dealt with. I broke a set of binos and they turned them around in less than a week completely fixed.

I don't own any of the diamondback line of product, but I do own three vipers and they've all been great.

Kimber thanks for details on Vortex, I have read that the Diamondback HP use the viper glass in them. Do you know anything on this?

Does it have to be a bolt action? Ruger #1 single-shot with a nice Leupold. The ultimate look good, shoot good all with exceptional quality.

FWIW...

...bug

Bug I would prefer bolt action just one of those personal things. My family has always had bolt, lever, semi, or pump. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I like a fairly plain Leupold 3-9x40. I don't want anything bigger and can't stand big ol' gaudy tacticool knobs and such. I like a fairly simple duplex reticle, again, no nonsense. The scope should be a complementary enhancement to a good rifle, not dominating the relationship. I mount a scope on a rifle; I never mount a rifle on a big, fat, honkin', telescope.
About the rifle: Vintage or new?
for a new rifle, I find this one compelling: http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...asp?mid=535205
but there are a lot of nice older rifles out there I find are perhaps even more interesting.

Pathfinder thanks for the suggestion on the Model 70, the only thing I see is its a little heavy and also pretty pricey which would leave me little for a scope. I agree with you on the scope I am not wanting a bunch of stuff on it just a well built and dependable that fits the rifle well. As for the rifle I prefer new only because this will be the first firearm that is brand new to me but if I found a deal on something that I couldn't pass up that would probably be waived.
Old January 12, 2015, 03:23 AM   #14
Pathfinder45

Well, weight soaks up recoil, and the 30-'06 is pretty powerful. That being said, the Featherweight version is an awfully nice rifle, but it will kick a bit more.
Old January 12, 2015, 03:32 AM   #15
Pathfinder45

Here's the link for the Featherweight: http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535200 The Sporter version is only 4 0unces heavier, but, yes, the Alaskan is a full pound-and-a-half more than the Featherweight.
Old January 12, 2015, 06:19 AM   #16
hooligan1

By all means, the Diamondback HP is probably what I'd pick up and look at in person....
Old January 12, 2015, 07:15 AM   #17
gman3

I have a Model 70 Featherweight .30-06. I also have several other rifles (more than 10) chambered in .30-06 that have a much more severe recoil impulse. The Featherweight is a relatively light, handy rifle, but is has a very effective recoil pad that works well.

It is the easiest to manage of all of them as far as recoil, with the exception of the M1 Garand. It is really surprising how much difference a good pad makes.

The Husqvarna 640 with just a butt plate which weighs in at a little less than 7 pounds will really let you know what a full house .30-06 cartridge feels like on your end. 10 rounds or so and I feel it for a few days afterward.
Old January 12, 2015, 07:41 AM   #18
jrhilde

Just checked Bud's guns and they have one listed, the 557 in 06 for $674 ---check it out --- I can't say how mine will shoot due to have not been out to the range yet. I've only had it a month or so--- I've had two CZ's in .22, a CZ American 550 in .308 and the 550 30-06 with the full stock, all were spectacular accurate---[ I have a bad habit of buying, selling and trading guns ], but this one I'll keep---
Old January 12, 2015, 07:53 AM   #19
jrhilde

I forgot to add, yes, the scope rings are very high quality and are unique in that the rear ring has a small tab at the bottom corner that fits into a cut out in the receiver---this insures the scope rings are installed correctly and eliminates any chance of the rings moving due to recoil---the rings match the metal finish and are very robust.
Notice also, the skeleton hood over the front sight to protect the sight when rifle is leaned against a wall, tree or whatever --- John
Old January 12, 2015, 04:25 PM   #20
Cowboyboots

Well, weight soaks up recoil, and the 30-'06 is pretty powerful. That being said, the Featherweight version is an awfully nice rifle, but it will kick a bit more.
Here's the link for the Featherweight: http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535200 The Sporter version is only 4 0unces heavier, but, yes, the Alaskan is a full pound-and-a-half more than the Featherweight.

Pathfinder thanks for the details on the Model 70. I am interested in this rifle the only thing is the price. Do you have any suggestions for a scope to mount on this rifle with the budget I have in mind? The Model 70 has a definite reputation I am just unsure if it will fit in my budget.

By all means, the Diamondback HP is probably what I'd pick up and look at in person....
Hooligan I was at Cabela's yesterday and got to look over the Diamondback, they didn't have the HP in stock. I was very pleased with the quality of the scope and either one of these scopes is what I will probably get. I am hoping someone will have some experience with the HP model.

I have a Model 70 Featherweight .30-06. I also have several other rifles (more than 10) chambered in .30-06 that have a much more severe recoil impulse. The Featherweight is a relatively light, handy rifle, but is has a very effective recoil pad that works well.

It is the easiest to manage of all of them as far as recoil, with the exception of the M1 Garand. It is really surprising how much difference a good pad makes.

The Husqvarna 640 with just a butt plate which weighs in at a little less than 7 pounds will really let you know what a full house .30-06 cartridge feels like on your end. 10 rounds or so and I feel it for a few days afterward.

Gman thanks for the advice on the recoil of the feather light. I am not terribly worried about the recoil but it is a good thing to keep in mind and I will keep your suggestion in mind.

Just checked Bud's guns and they have one listed, the 557 in 06 for $674 ---check it out --- I can't say how mine will shoot due to have not been out to the range yet. I've only had it a month or so--- I've had two CZ's in .22, a CZ American 550 in .308 and the 550 30-06 with the full stock, all were spectacular accurate---[ I have a bad habit of buying, selling and trading guns ], but this one I'll keep---

I forgot to add, yes, the scope rings are very high quality and are unique in that the rear ring has a small tab at the bottom corner that fits into a cut out in the receiver---this insures the scope rings are installed correctly and eliminates any chance of the rings moving due to recoil---the rings match the metal finish and are very robust.
Notice also, the skeleton hood over the front sight to protect the sight when rifle is leaned against a wall, tree or whatever --- John

John thanks for the price on Buds. I just talked to the shop I bought my other CZ from and the total shipped and out the door for a brand new 557 carbine was $682. For the rings I will keep those in mind, can you put a link to them?
Old January 12, 2015, 05:16 PM   #21
Kimber84

Not sure on what glass is used in what scope on the Vortex line, all I'm familiar with are the Vipers and Razors. I would get one in your hand and take a look, if a local dealer doesn't have it in stock Vortex will send whatever you want to that dealer for you to check out.

All that being said, I used to only use Leupold on my rifles, after my experience with Vortex I've switched over to them on all my new rifles. There will always be detractors to Vortex, simply because they're not a $2k Nightforce or Mark IV, but keep in mind you're not paying for one of those either in the Vortex price.... Of course that is if you're not using the Razor line of optics, they're a little more spends, but they are very nice.
Old January 12, 2015, 09:41 PM   #22
Pathfinder45

Here is just one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=463024518

shop around; I'm sure there are others.
Old January 12, 2015, 09:55 PM   #23
reynolds357

CZ is an excellent rifle. I am not impressed with anything below the Viper in the Vortex line.
Old January 12, 2015, 10:54 PM   #24
Cowboyboots

Not sure on what glass is used in what scope on the Vortex line, all I'm familiar with are the Vipers and Razors. I would get one in your hand and take a look, if a local dealer doesn't have it in stock Vortex will send whatever you want to that dealer for you to check out.

All that being said, I used to only use Leupold on my rifles, after my experience with Vortex I've switched over to them on all my new rifles. There will always be detractors to Vortex, simply because they're not a $2k Nightforce or Mark IV, but keep in mind you're not paying for one of those either in the Vortex price.... Of course that is if you're not using the Razor line of optics, they're a little more spends, but they are very nice.

Kimber thanks for the advice on Vortex, everything that I have read has been positive about Vortex so I am pretty sure thats the way I am going to go for my scope. I was defiantly impressed with the diamondback that I looked at at Cabelas. I was not expecting the price on the rifle I was looking at to be as low as it was from the gun shop so I have a little extra money that I could use to upgrade to a viper, the razors are still outside my budget though. Would you recommend the upgrade to a viper?

Here is just one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=463024518
shop around; I'm sure there are others.

Pathfinder thanks for the link, I forgot to ask the gun shop what their price would be on this rifle but I will give them a call to see.

CZ is an excellent rifle. I am not impressed with anything below the Viper in the Vortex line.

Reynolds thanks for the advice, do you have any experience with CZ? Have you tried anything below the viper from Vortex?
Old January 13, 2015, 06:33 AM   #25
hooligan1

I own 4 Vortex Viper H S, haven't narrowed down to a favorite, but they all function like they are supposed to..Mine are 4-16x44's, and one is 6-20x44, dupex reticles on two, VMR1, and BDC on another...
A Leupold in these scopes category, would be another 150.0- 200.00.... But they are super nice too...