The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2013, 06:00 PM   #76
RC20

I think there is an unmet need for target shooting bullets of a non boat tail design.

We are shooting 30-06, and I don't think its unusual we are limited to a 100 yd range distance.

A lot of time and effort in a boat tail design and production that pay no return at that distance, I would rather have a better price vs range of the boat tail.

For 30-06 I would start at 174 grs (as that seems to be the accuracy sweet spot of the admittedly wide latitude 30-06).

Others can weigh in on the best for their calibers (130 in 270?).

Its funny you can buy hunting bullets with a flat base, but not target.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:12 AM   #77
BFG9k

There's an unmet need for a nonexpanding bullet that creates a large temporary cavity.

Société Française des Munitions' (SFM) concave (reverse) ogive THV bullet design looks like it was made on a lathe but could probably be cast or swaged without the tip.

The late Charlie Kelsey's "radially dynamic" Devel Bullet design with fluted ogive was sintered but could probably be hard cast or swaged with half jackets if you don't mind a little deformation on impact. Or it could possibly be machined like a Phillips screwdriver bit even onto factory FMJ. This design is much more likely to feed properly in semiautos.

The Krnka-Hebler tubular bullet design with a wad has been tried many times without much success. Theoretically it could greatly improve ballistics by reducing drag (there's a hole through it!) but the expense and loss of mass likely negates any advantages for anything smaller than a cannon.
Old March 15, 2013, 04:45 AM   #78
Mike / Tx

If your looking for a niche, go to the calibers like .257, and .270 and offer some heavier weights than what are currently offered by the major brands. They concentrate on the masses where there are a LOT of folks who are looking for something just a bit heavier for their needs.

Myself I would love to see a nice FB or even a short BT with a 125 - 130gr weight in .257 for my 25-06s. Some think that is too heavy but I know for a fact they will both shoot well in either of my rifles. I have some of the now discontinued Wildcat's in both weights and they shoot like a dream. For two years after Nosler brought out the BT I asked why they wouldn't put it in a 115gr, their reply was it wouldn't stabilize. Nowadays it's one of their best sellers for that caliber.

In .277, something in the 160 - 180 range would also be nice. Nothing really available other than the Partition.

Just need to find the overlooked gaps in the lines and see what you can fill.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:12 AM   #79
Niantician

Re: Is There an Unmet Need in the World of Bullets?

I'd like to see a Hornady FTX .44 bullet heavier than the 225 gr they offer now. Maybe 260 gr? I'd also like to see a harder cast bullet in their leverevolution line. Something that could still be fired from a levergun and still had the polymer tip.