The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Going through my 45 acp ammo can now... "vintage" cases LP or SP... your choice ???

I have not bought a 45 acp round, since they started switching to small pistol primers... lucky for me, as I'm much shorter on small pistol primers than I am on large pistol primers...

I like the large primers better, as I think they get better ignition in the cold weather, & I live in MN... that & I have alot of LP primers, & am way too short of SP primers

how about you guys... which of the two do you prefer ???

( sorry I think this could have been misunderstood thinking I had extra primers, so I reworded the following )

reason I ask, is I have about 500 extra ( 45 acp cases ) that I'm planning on selling at the next local gun show, curious if everyone wants small primer pockets in their 45 cases now, or if the large pocket 45 cases will fly off my table if reasonably priced, because they have big pockets ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 27, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old February 25, 2013, 05:03 PM   #2
buck460XVR

Since all of the powders I use in .45 ACP are easy to ignite, primer size makes no difference to me. I assume this is why major manufacturers have no qualms about using SP primers in their factory loads. They cost the same, they perform the same and I have about the same amount on hand.
Old February 25, 2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

I load both small and large primer cases and haven't noticed a difference. Both let me put holes in paper targets. I do know if you put a reasonable price on primers now they will be gone pretty fast at a gun show. I have seen primers at a few LGS and the prices have been $4 to $5 per hundred plus tax. Those prices are much higher than I'm willing to pay. I'm glad I stocked up when I did.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:49 PM   #4
dickttx

I have seen primers at a few LGS and the prices have been $4 to $5 per hundred plus tax. Those prices are much higher than I'm willing to pay. I'm glad I stocked up when I did.

In the approximately three years since I started reloading again I have never seen primers locally for other than $5 per hundred/$50 per thousand/$250 per 5K.
That is the reason I am a big fan of PV. $29.13 per K delivered when 10K ordered along with 8# of HP38.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:05 PM   #5
RickB

I used to throw away the small-primer cases, until I started seeing enough of them that I just couln't stand tossing so many. When I have a few hundred saved, I'll see if I can trade them for regular ACP cases (or maybe trade them for small pistol primers!).
Old February 25, 2013, 09:54 PM   #6
chris in va

I prefer the SPP cases as I also reload 9mm. One less primer size to find.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:20 PM   #7
CWKahrFan

All I know on this subject is I'm SO glad I started reloading .45acp because right now, SMALL pistol primers are basically gone, nada, nonexistent on the shelves in these parts (NC)... but there are plenty of LARGE.

So while many wait and fret, I'm shooting lots of .45... which is not a bad dilemma at all... it's kind of a blessing... yah... .45... large primers... cool...
Old February 26, 2013, 07:37 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

my point exactly... I don't much care normally ( I don't shoot much 45 auto in the 1st place, & even less when it's below zero outside )... but I do have LP primers, so I'm happy all my cases are LP... hope I'm able to sell my extras in a couple weeks at the gun show... I'll label the bag, that they have LP primer pockets, so at least any prospective buyers will know... plus or not ???
Old February 27, 2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Strazznah

I would be willing to buy those .45acp Large Primer cases from you, so you wouldn't have to lug them to the gun show. Let me know
Old February 27, 2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

will let you know what I end up with extra once I'm done wet tumbling & sorting...
Old February 28, 2013, 08:52 AM   #11
reloader28

I dont get enough small primered ones to worry about. I just throw them away.
I guess if I came across a bunch, I would use the small ones.