The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 11, 2005, 07:55 PM   #1
Mr.XD9mm

Anyone Know of any Good Houston/Katy Area Gun Ranges

Just wanted to know if anyone has any favorites for their Houston/Katy Area Gun Ranges Indoor or Outdoor?
Old October 12, 2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Bob41081

There is American Shooting Center in George Bush Park off Westheimer Pkway.
Sporting Clays, Trap. 5 yd to I believe 600.
Bob
Old November 5, 2005, 01:41 PM   #3
springmom

It's a great one

It is a lot cheaper if you take several guns with you than is Carter's Country. Carter's charges both by gun and by shooter. So if all 3 of us go to the range and take more than one gun apiece, just getting onto the line can be $50. American only charges per shooter.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old November 5, 2005, 02:00 PM   #4
LHB1

Yeah, I wish American Shooting Center was as close to me as Carter's Country is. I live between Spring and Woodlands and am limited to outdoor ranges by combination of shooting cast bullets only in pistols and by claustrophobia which bothers me at indoor ranges.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old November 5, 2005, 06:18 PM   #5
springmom

You must be near me

We're a mile away from the Carter's Country on Treaschwig!

I like the place. I like the guys. Don't tell my husband (hope he never logs on to this forum...) but he's getting a Springfield 1911 from there for Christmas (it was on sale, got it the last day of the sale, and he's gonna be a happy camper) but if you don't get things on sale, wowza, they're expensive.

I think they ought to cut you some slack on the range fees if you buy the ammunition from them, but they don't. I took my CHL over there in August, and at my instructor's recommendation, browsed the CC purses. They were marked up 100% (yes, you read that right) over what I bought one for at www.gungear.com . Their ammunition is marked up about 30-40% over what I spend at Gander Mountain.

But they're a good bunch, and I like the fact that there are a number of range officers out there when the loonies come out.

Springmom

home on the web:

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old November 5, 2005, 10:14 PM   #6
LHB1

Hi SpringMom,
Actually I live just on the other side of I-45 near The Woodlands. I list Houston as my city because few people outside this area know where Spring or The Woodlands are located. Have been dealing with CC since about 1975. Know most of the long-time people there including Doug (now at I-10), Jim, Doris, Bill Jr, and Mr. Carter. Have contributed considerable dollars to the net worth of the Carter's over the last 30 yrs. Now that pre-deer season crowd is gone I hope to get back onto the pistol range Mon morning with my Wilson Classic.

Note: Husbands really appreciate wives who buy them guns. When I told my wife earlier this year that I had ordered a long desired pistol, her only comment was "Why did you wait so long".

LB
Old November 7, 2005, 03:12 PM   #7
Ian2005

American Shooting Center

Yeah thats a good range right off of Westheimer. Definitly cheaper than the indoor range close to Gessner.

1 Shooter,1 Gun, 1 Target - $7.50
Old November 8, 2005, 12:54 PM   #8
rn22723

I used to go to HS with Bill Jr. He would fish live rounds out his jacket pocket in class at Spring High School! I liked shooting out there way back when! I learned to reload from the counter help, way back when! Ufda! 1973 was a long time ago! We used to live across the interstate south of the old Goodyear Blimp hangar! Talk about dating myself!
Old November 9, 2005, 11:03 PM   #9
siotwo

Howdy Neighbors!

Hello again LH and nice to meet you springmom, m, and all the rest of you near me/us. Your a great wife spring. My wife surprised me with a No.1 stainless for my B-day, from CC. I still tell the story

I was at CC the other evening trying out my .44 I sense a group shoot in the future
Old November 9, 2005, 11:20 PM   #10
LHB1

Hi SIO2. Wondered what happened to you. I hope to go shooting tomorrow or Friday if my hands aren't too sore. Beginning to get some arthritis and piddling around at my workbench or reloading bench usually makes them sore.
I never seem to get there early. Retirement means I don't have to get up early any more!!!

LB

ps: Got a new barrel coming for my S&W M41. Going to mount a 2X Leupold scope on it. Then I can switch from open sights to scope sights instantly by just replacing the barrel and premounted sights.
Old November 10, 2005, 12:14 AM   #11
siotwo

If you go friday, let me know.
Old November 10, 2005, 01:02 PM   #12
LHB1

SIOTWO,
Going Friday. What time is convenient? SpringMom, others want to join us at Carter's Country outdoor pistol range tomorrow?

LB
Old November 10, 2005, 06:53 PM   #13
siotwo

The morning would be best for me. When do they open?
Old November 10, 2005, 08:34 PM   #14
LHB1

Carter's Country opens at 9:00 am. Will be there by 9:15. Looks like very nice, cool weather for pistol shooting.

LB
Old November 10, 2005, 08:42 PM   #15
springmom

well, there's a doe with my name on her....

...up in the Sam Houston National Forest. Time to go try to bring her in. (We didn't get to go out last Saturday...youngest son has lost his Hunting Education certificate that he has to carry and we didn't want to leave him behind). Tomorrow, boy goes to school, and mama goes to hunt.

'Tis my birthday tomorrow. So I have to have some venison for supper that I shoot myself!

Springmom

home on the web:

Old November 10, 2005, 08:50 PM   #16
LHB1

SpringMom,
Good luck on your hunt and BE SAFE!! Watch out for misguided commandos and kooks.

LB

ps: Happy Birthday too! Maybe your husband will take you out to dinner. Hint. Hint.
Old November 11, 2005, 04:35 PM   #17
siotwo

Great morning at the range today!

Springmom, are you having birthday-backstrap?
Old November 11, 2005, 04:49 PM   #18
LHB1

+1 SIOTWO and I had a great time shooting this morning! Maybe some others in Houston can join us next time and get in on the fun.

LB
Old November 11, 2005, 05:53 PM   #19
springmom

No, we're having shrimp tonight

However, we've found a good spot and will be back there. Couldn't QUITE lure a buck into range, but whew did he pee nearby! About knocked us over as we walked back to the truck. And we found tracks and trails and a couple of good spots to go back to for hunting them.

So, a good day, even if no venison

Springmom

home on the web:

Old November 11, 2005, 11:57 PM   #20
siotwo

I found some little hogs during bow season in the SamHouston, as well as two coyotes. Shots on neither, but I'll be back for some bacon. I know spots in the SHNF are like personal treasure, but we'll have to compare notes at some point.
Ron

PS...on topic....they closed/will no longer have the 'target shooting area' of the forest. There is actually no public shooting ranges in any national forest, but they just always had one set aside in the Sam Houston for those in need. The press release said that there are enough real ranges in the Huntsville/Conroe/Houston area for the public to use.
Old November 16, 2005, 12:54 PM   #21
craigntx

newbie here

im a rapid fire freak, i like pasadena ranges. pasadena gun ctr off 225 will let you shoot anything! i lost a maadi ak to them when i destroyed their carrier
marksman indoor range on galv. rd and winkler area is cool too.
i spray my uzi a there frequently.
on the n. side i go to a range on 59n and mt hou. area.

re- carters treshwig range:
saw something about them being forced out.
whats the latest?
Old November 23, 2005, 07:26 PM   #22
oilman

outdoor: American Shooting Center.

Indoor: Top Gun Range near Chimney Rock and Richmond.
http://www.topgunrange.com/
Old November 23, 2005, 10:46 PM   #23
springmom

Carter's on Treaschwig

No, they have not been forced out. There was an attempt last year to try and do this; a land developer wanted the land that lies northwest of the shooting berms, and needless to say, Carters wouldn't have been a big draw to new homeowners. So they tried to shut them down by finding all sorts of "safety issues". Each of those has been dealt with, and Carter's is alive and well.

Springmom

home on the web: