The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 14, 1999, 06:34 PM   #1
Andy

Anyone else out there use GPS? I got one for Christmas last year, Eagle Explorer. The thing is great. I've used it deer hunting and fishing. The only thing that I don't like is the government screwing with the signals so that its only accurate to 100 yards. I'm thinking about buying a DGPS reciever to eliminate that. I've got all of our stands and parking spots marked on the plotter, and fishing spots too. Anyone got any tips or ideas on how to use GPS more effectively?

Andy
Old January 14, 1999, 09:51 PM   #2
ddunn

I have been thinking about getting a GPS for a while now.
With the Technology progressing as fast as it has, is it worth getting the GPS now or waiting a year or two?

Why did you decide on that model?

I am a flat water kayaker in addition to being a hunter and a fisherman.

I would want one that could interface with both land and water maps. Not to mention it might get wet.

Thanks
Old January 15, 1999, 12:14 AM   #3
ShadedDude

A friend of mine bought one when we were in Florida, he got a Garmin XL plus if I remember right....we used it on a boat lobstering. Marked holes and went back for the next two days. Worked well.

I havent decided that I need one yet, but I have decided that I want one

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old January 15, 1999, 12:15 AM   #4
ShadedDude

We also used it as a speedometer in the van on the way back since the van's didnt have one

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old January 15, 1999, 02:31 PM   #5
Mendocino

GPS can be a great aid in hunting. Be advised though, that many states do not allow the GPS as an aid in hunting. I personally find this ridiculous, because GPS can be a tremendous safety device.

When contemplating the purchase of a GPS for hunting you might want to consider the following:
1) Any autonomous GPS receiver is only accurate to 100 meters (331') 95% of the time. This is due to the Department of Defense policy of Selective Availibility (SA).
2) Paralell channel receivers with at least 8 channels will provide the best reception.
3) The GPS satellites are not in a geostationary orbit, they move faster than the Earth rotates. Therefore, if you are having trouble getting a GPS solution, wait a few minutes.
4) Don't just buy the cheapest model. The cheapest models are generally sequencing receivers and do not perform well in the woods.
5)Any autonomous GPS receiver is only accurate to 100 meters (331') 95% of the time. This is due to the Department of Defense policy of Selective Availibility (SA)(repeated for emphasis).

If you are interested in High-end GPS (Trimble), and consumer models suitable for hunting (Garmin), check out our site at http://www.ncrm.com. I suggest the Garmin GPS 12 or GPS12XL for hunting, its what I use.

Regards,

JH

Old January 15, 1999, 10:12 PM   #6
Andy

ddunn-

If you buy one you'll never go anywhere without one. I bought the Eagle because it seemed to be the most for the money. I didn't want to spend alot of money and this one did everything I wanted. It has a 12 channel parallel reciever which makes it great in the woods. I never have a problem getting a signal except when it is buried in a pack or low pocket. For you I would recommend Eagles new Map Guide Pro. It has the same reciever as mine does but it also has a built in map. It comes with a CD-ROM that has more detailed maps in it. All you have to do is download the detailed maps to your GPS and it shows you where you are on the map. It also has more waypoints than you could ever use. I would love one of those but they are about $500. Mine was $175. Both are waterproof also.

Mendocino-

I have never heard that using a GPS for hunting can be illegal. I find that incredibly stupid. Where can I get more info on the subject? Thanks

Andy
Old January 15, 1999, 11:46 PM   #7
Jeff Thomas

Mendocino - I love it! A GPS illegal for hunting? How about if you remove the bayonet lug ...