The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 23, 2015, 06:47 PM   #26
joed

I've owned a 700 Remington in .25-06 for over 37 years. It was my first center fire rifle and it has done well by me.

I bought it for hunting groundhogs in OH. It was a spectacular long range varminter and I still use it on occasion. My favorite was the Nosler 85 gr bullets at 3625 fps. I have since switched to Sierra 90 gr Blitzkings but haven't shot enough of them to say they're better.

This rifle has gone bear hunting with me in Canada. I used it for deer when I lived in FL too. Darn, it is versatile.

You'll love that rifle and cartridge.
Old January 23, 2015, 07:07 PM   #27
hooligan1

Snyper how is the .257 technically a 6.5, no matter how you measure it never comes out?
Old January 23, 2015, 11:00 PM   #28
Snyper

Quote:
Snyper how is the .257 technically a 6.5, no matter how you measure it never comes out?
6.5mm = .2559 inches

25 Caliber = .257

About .001 difference from a true 6.5mm

The nominal "6.5mm" is actually larger (.264)

Still, at normal hunting distances, a 25 cal will do the job easily, much like a 223 will easily kill deer
Old January 23, 2015, 11:25 PM   #29
taylorce1

Quote:

At normal hunting distances there is no practical difference in actual perfomance.

It doesn't have to be "as good as" a larger cartridge as long as it's
"good enough"

Bob Milek used to kill them quite well with a 14" Contender, and liked the 25 06 in rifles

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

Technically, a .257 is a 6.5 mm
I own a .25-06 and have used it quite a bit in the past but I can tell you there is a practical difference. I've seen elk killed with a cartridges as small as a .257 Roberts and as large as .375 H&H. All the elk I've ever killed have been with the .270 or .30-06 and I can tell you bigger bullets get bigger reactions on impact.

.25 calibers are best on full broad side shots and not on hard angles on large animals. Sure shot placement trumps diameter every time, I'll never argue that point. Larger diameter bullets just give you more of everything that helps to ensure the bullet will penetrate to the vitals when everything isn't perfect.

As far as Bob Milek:

One thing you have to remember about Bon Milek is that he lived in Wyoming and could hunt elk every year and possibly more in state and traveled out of state on numerous elk hunts, as it was his job to hunt. He had opportunities and could pass on elk that the OP rcollier who happens to live in Minnesota might not ever have when he gets to hunt them. An elk hunt might be a once in a lifetime adventure for him, why risk that kind of hunt on a .25-06 or any smaller caliber rifle.

I know what you'll say, but think on this one. You have an opportunity on a once in a lifetime bull elk on an out of state hunt that you've been planning for years, the bull is walking away at a 45 degrees heading for a tree line last day of the hunt. You've tried to get him to stop, but he's ignoring your attempts and still cruising for the treeline. Would you really want a .25-06 with a 100-115 grain mono metal or a .308 Win/.30-06 with 150-165+ grain bullet of the same construction knowing that your bullet might have to travel through the paunch to get to the vitals?

Yes the .257 is a 6.5 mm as far as measurements go, but it isn't a 6.5 caliber in the sense of how bullets are measured. Just like the .277 caliber is closer to 7mm than the .284. It still doesn't change the fact that without going to custom bullets that may or may not stabilize in a factory twist barrel, the .25 caliber bullets are lacking in BC and SD when compared to other bullets from both larger and smaller calibers.
Old January 24, 2015, 09:27 AM   #30
gman3

Another two cents. Like I said earlier, I live on the East Coast and have never seen an Elk. I do like the 25-06, and if you are Deer Hunting on a long power line or Peanut field, it is hard to beat.

If I were to be told that I was going out west to go Elk hunting next week ,(probably a once in a lifetime event for me) I would be planning on taking a 30-06 with 165 partitions, or 7mm WSM with 150 partitions. If I had a 300 mag I would probably take that. But I would not go buy one since I have several of the others already.

I think it is generally understood by most that you can kill Elk with a 25-06, but that the cartridge is really best suited for Deer and Antelope sized animals.
Old January 24, 2015, 03:27 PM   #31
saudst

25/06

You have a good rifle in a great caliber. I have reloaded this caliber for 34 yrs. I must agree with most of the posters here as to the effect that can be expected on a elk hunt. I have never hunted elk and may never get the chance, but if I were to get a run, I would bring something to seal the deal with enough authority.

Bob Milek was kind of a mentor to me. I never met him but read everything he wrote in the Guns and Ammo magazine and learned from his writings to handgun hunt in Ohio. His favorite long range rifle caliber was the 25/06. Anything from crows and groundhogs, to mule deer this cartridge will handle just fine. If you get a chance for an elk hunt, pick up a 30/06. I have a few pet loads for the 25/06 if you would like, let me know.

Tim
Old January 24, 2015, 04:35 PM   #32
rcollier

I will not likely be hunting elk in the near future and sounds like I would go up to a .30 or 7mm if that time arrives.
Hopefully will have the 25-06 well broken in by that point.
Thanks again for all the info
Old January 24, 2015, 10:18 PM   #33
homesick

You have picked a great caliber in the 25-06. My experience with the 25 is vast, it's a bit large for prairie dogs (I have shot many with it) and a bit light for elk but it does work. However every thing in the middle is a pretty good fit for the 25. I have used the 25 on the western prairies and mountains and the northern woods of Minn. never felt under gunned.