The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 20, 2000, 02:43 PM   #1
JJCook

A little while back, a co-worker of mine was selling a SPAS-12 guage SG. While both in the Marines, he purchased it from someone who needed quick cash (darn fool was getting court-martialed). Anyways, he purchased it for, I think somewhere around $250.00. If Im not mistaking, aren't they rather costly? The gun had never been fired, and my friend has had it for almost 4 years now. It still has never been shot. Now he's trying to sell it for $1000.00. Is that still a good deal? I've never fired it before, nor has anyone else, but the thing looks like a darn street-howitzer. Is it as reliable as it looks? Any comments on this weapon will be greatly appreciated.

JJC
Old February 20, 2000, 09:19 PM   #2
hksigwalther

Gas operated, utilizes an O-ring (like an 11-87) => will require a little more attention in cleaning. Is it a fixed stock or a folder (with hook)? Full length magazine will hold 9 rounds, the shorter one (I think) 7. Muzzle is threaded with a protective cap. Cylinder, modified, full and oval shaped pattern tubes are available.

Excessively heavy (~9 lbm empty). If you're looking for a shotgun with a mean look, the SPAS is the one. If you're looking for a pump/auto for function, go with a Benelli M3SuperDuper90 (~7 lbm). You do lose one round in the max cap magazine, though. I've seen, very recently, SPAS-12 folders going for $950-$1000. Did not notice if it was new or used. Got a fixed stock one just after they banned imports of folding stocks in the early 90s for ~$650.

As a side note : You can't currently purchase (or assemble) the M3S90 with an extended magazine AND a vertical pistol grip (unless it's pre-ban). You can one OR the other but NOT both.

- Ron V.