The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 15, 2013, 08:41 AM   #1
mordis

Will revolvers rise in popularity?

Being that im mostly a revolver person, i hope so. I ask this question due to the fact that New York just passed the toughest Gun controll laws in the country. Made most models of autoloaders impotent, save the 1911 thanks to its still being made with 7 round magazines.

Now seeing that the 1911 doesn't fit people with smaller hands well, i can see service revolvers making a come back. I say this, becuase at 5'8" i do not have large hands. I cant reach the slide stop at all, I dont like having to shift the gun to work a controll.

What do you guys think? I sure hope so, these fine old guns still get the job done.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2
MLeake

New York legislators and Governor Cuomo just started talking about such possible restrictions a couple days ago. I am pretty sure that even in New York, it takes longer than two days to pass legislation, even when it isn't fiercely opposed.

So I think you are extremely premature.

I also find it offensive that you hope bad legislation that will potentially create misery for others might benefit your hobby.

It would be better if you were to post in General Discussion or Law and Civil Rights, on the need for New Yorkers to contact their legislators and Cuomo to voice their opposition, or on the need for gun owners to support RKBA organizations. Such discussions are underway.

I find this thread a cross between Chicken Little and buzzard.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:01 AM   #3
308Prepper

You hope more unnecessary, useless, restrictive legislation passes so revolvers become more popular?

Did I read that correct????
Old January 15, 2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Billy Shears

Quote:
I also find it offensive that you hope bad legislation that will potentially create misery for others might benefit your hobby.

Perhaps you are reading a little too much into his comment. He only said that he hopes revolvers rise in popularity. And that because he has small hands, 1911 pistols don't fit his grip. He didn't express any sentiment that I can discern about wishing for anti-gun legislation to pass.

Internet posts are notoriously difficult to "read" as far as intonation, nuance and such. Squabbles amongst ourselves are not productive.

Bottom line, don't most of us harbor hope that revolvers will become more popular? Who among us wouldn't love to see a rise in market demand that would convince gun makers to bring back the S&W Model 19 or the Colt Python?

Let's not impute foul motives based on short internet forum posts.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:04 AM   #5
MLeake

Well, looks like I was wrong on one count - the bill has already passed one of the two legislative chambers, and is expected to pass the second later today. Cuomo is expected to sign.

I expect there will be lawsuits in the very near future.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:05 AM   #6
spacecoast

Quote:
New York legislators and Governor Cuomo just started talking about such possible restrictions a couple days ago. I am pretty sure that even in New York, it takes longer than two days to pass legislation, even when it isn't fiercely opposed.

So I think you are extremely premature.
Not really, it's likely to pass today.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ew-york-state/
Old January 15, 2013, 09:17 AM   #7
spacecoast

Quote:
Who among us wouldn't love to see a rise in market demand that would convince gun makers to bring back the S&W Model 19 or the Colt Python?
... or convince some of the higher end 1911 makers to go into the business of making world-class revolvers, making them more accessible.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:39 PM   #8
mordis

I do apologize. I did not mean to imply that i wanted more restrictions to pass. I had heard it passed one chamber and it being New York was a foregone conclusion.

I feel that revolvers have been looked down on, in there service formats, and i feel it is a disservice. My family is protected by a service revolver, and its like picking up a old friend. It has soul, it says, im here and i brought 6 friends to help. Not only that, but its one of the platforms that fits me comfortably.

Strangely the only other platform to fit me well was the Glock and Glock style pistols that lack any controlls. The slide stop on a glock is closer to my thumb then most other pistols.

I truly do hope it gets overturned, as this does sound like the kind of thing the supreme court would over turn. I mean, they basicly made most autopistols out there useless, accept the small ones chambered in crap rounds. Whose size and layout i do not like at all..

It is my hope that, people will look at revolvers there and see a viable and reliable platform for there self defense.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Newton24b

its just common sense.

if youhave to choose between a 7 or 8 shot 32 or 380 or 9mm, people are going to get that 7 shot 357 magnum instead.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:32 PM   #10
Hal

Quote:
I find this thread a cross between Chicken Little and buzzard.
MLeake - I love ya like a brother man but - that's honestly a Baghdad Bob type of thing to say.
Coumo's horrid piece of garbage blew through the bi-partisan Senate like grain through a goose - 43-18.
The Assembly isn't nearly as bi-partisan and it would take an event of Biblical proportions to prevent them from passing it.
Cuomo's isn't apt to veto his own baby - so - it's as sure a thing as it gets that within a day or so NY is going to have a 7 round limit.

As a side note - it's far worse once you read the entire text.

Registered Nurses and Social Workers will have the green light to have a person's license suspended.
They fall under the classification of Mental Health Professionals according to the bill.

(P.S. - yeah....I agree somewhat the topic sounds a bit ghoulish....I like revolvers too, but, not at the expense of semi autos)

Last edited by Hal; January 15, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #11
MLeake

Yes, I admitted I was wrong, thinking legislative bodies would actually take time to deliberate what they had to know would be controversial legislation; guess they value speed over laws that withstand court challenges.

I also overreacted to the OP, as it appears I misread his intent. That, and I have seen a lot of threads from others, lately, of the "it's ok, I have mine" or the "we're doomed - we must compromise" varieties... Those have made me a touch sensitive.

Sorry, OP.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:02 PM   #12
Hal

Quote:
That, and I have seen a lot of threads from others, lately, of the "it's ok, I have mine" or the "we're doomed - we must compromise" varieties... Those have made me a touch sensitive.
Man do I hear you there....
Old January 15, 2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Sharpsdressed Man

If we look at a restrictive government like we might at an employer that dictates what gun we can carry on the job (like the police departments I have worked for), then if one MUST carry a 6 shot weapon, then one must. A person COULD get used to the idea and practice. The downside to NY, is that they will never stop there, and sometime in the furure, their citizenry will be disarmed.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:54 PM   #14
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Revolvers have always been popular among us dinosaurs, dopes regulating guns won't change that. What should change is more people should now learn to pay more attention to who they vote for.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 15, 2013, 06:01 PM   #15
Billy Shears

Quote:
What should change is more people should now learn to pay more attention to who they vote for.

Brother, ain't that the truth. I'm not optimistic it will happen, but I certainly agree with you that it ought to happen.

[Oh, and BTW, I believe there's a typo in your signature line. where it says "mean to govern will" it should say "mean to govern well."]
Old January 15, 2013, 06:45 PM   #16
skidder

Quote:
What should change is more people should now learn to pay more attention to who they vote for.
That would be ideal, but people are weak minded. They are like the buffaloes that followed the Indian off the cliff. Blinded to what's ahead by their inability to discern the outcome. They pay no attention to history and all that it has to say. "So goes the crowd, so we must follow".
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 15, 2013, 06:47 PM   #17
Chettt

hey this isn't going to stop with 7 rounds. If we don't stand up and fight this law, you'll soon be required to have all but one revolver chamber permanently closed.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:55 PM   #18
brazosdave

that's only the beginning, they won't be happy until they get an unarmed populace. Never did get a good answer for the govt agencies massive buying of hollowpoints last year. Wrote my congressman and got the same old" it's for weapons proficiency training". Seriously, hollowpoints? IRS and NOAO weapons training is that big a deal? I seriously expected more from a Texas republican than some b.s. answer like that, but he's part of the machine too.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:14 PM   #19
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Made most models of autoloaders impotent, save the 1911 thanks to its still being made with 7 round magazines
From what I read, you can still have a 10 round magazine in New York. It is illegal to load more than 7 rounds in that mag however. Getting caught with a mag loaded with more than 7 rounds is a now a misdemeanor.

I didn't see any thing on +1 so who the hell knows where that falls.

So no.... I don't see autos becoming less popular.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:32 PM   #20
skidder

I take it that does not include 8, 9, and 10 round revolvers?
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 15, 2013, 08:35 PM   #21
Drummer101

It might include the clips/loaders but not the cylinder. Not really sure.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:38 PM   #22
RamItOne

well shoot even my revolver has one more than NY wants

Although this 7 round limit will certainly throw a monkey wrench in the caliber wars

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 15, 2013, 08:52 PM   #23
spacecoast

Yeah, well lucky for you your revolver isn't "semi-automatic".
Old January 15, 2013, 09:18 PM   #24
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Yeah, well lucky for you your revolver isn't "semi-automatic".
People keep saying that and I keep thinking of the Webley-Fosbery automatic revolver. I'll probably never see a real one or own one but I have wanted one since I was still in my 20's about a hundred years ago.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/double...fosbery-e.html
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 15, 2013, 10:15 PM   #25
Rainbow Demon

The Webley Fosbery in .38 caliber held 8 rounds in the cylinder.
Early versions of the speed loader were developed for British top break revolvers, some were made of molded leather.

I don't think a cylinder counts as a detachable magazine. Speed loaders are a loading device rather than a magazine.