The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 10, 2011, 09:42 AM   #1
cmdc

Scout scope for Ruger Scout Rifle

I just got a new left hand scout rifle and ordered a Leupold 4x scope that they advertised as a scout scope, but it's not. Any recommendations for a good scout scope?
Old August 10, 2011, 10:09 AM   #2
PawPaw

Link for the Leupold Scout Scope here: LINKY!

Link for the Burris Scout Scope here: LINKY

UPDATE - Nikon makes a Scout scope, as reviewed by Chuck Hawks. LINKY! Midway USA has the Nikon in stock.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Last edited by PawPaw; August 10, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old August 10, 2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Legionnaire

I've used both the Leupold and the Burris. The Leupold had more forgiving eye relief; I liked it better than the Burris. Both are good scopes.
Old August 11, 2011, 12:55 AM   #4
bamaranger

leupold 2.75x scout scope

You want the scope marked IER (intermediate eye relief), translation, scout scope.

Some pistol scopes MAY work, and are sometimes marked EER (extended eye relief) but then again they may not according to you and your rig.

I have not shot a Burris scout, but hear the 20mm objective has a much smaller field of view than the larger 28mm Leupold. I think the Burris makes a more attractive appearing rig, more compact and tidy, but the Leupold is likely much more useable.

Can't help but mention that I opted for a custom reticle in my Leupold scout, the big German #1, with which I am much pleased.
Old August 11, 2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Major Dave (retired)

What caliber

is your lefty scout rifle?

I have 2 lefty rifles, a 7X57 custom bolt gun (22" barrel), and a Win Mod 70 Classic Featherweight (26" barrel) in 270 WSM, so what does the Ruger Scout rifle do that I can't do with what I already have?

P.S. I also own a Win M70 Short Action Carbine (18" barrel), in 243, but it is a "righty", for smaller game. Very light weight and good for "sneaking and peeking" in tight cover.
Old August 11, 2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Madirishman

I have a Leupold EER Vari-X 1-8 x 32(?) mounted Scout style on a Ruger Frontier in .243. It works though I did add a Pachmayr pad to extend the stock a bit both for eye relief and as it is a bit short. To be perfectly honest, I'm a little ambivalent about the scope. I have not hunted much with it, my intention was for it to be a coyote gun.

For a fixed low-power scope or even my Leupold with the magnification turned down to two or three, I think the Scout concept works well. I'm personally not sold on my current configuration and have thoughts on selling the scope and mounting something more traditional. Reaching out to a couple hundred yards at times for a kill shot with a 2x doesn't excite me too much.
Old August 12, 2011, 12:25 PM   #7
cmdc

The Ruger Scout is 308. I opted for the 2.5x Leupold Scout Scope. Wasn't aware of the 2.75. I thought it would be a good rifle for close-in hog hunting. What is the max range for a 2x scope? I suppose that depends on how good a shot you are. If there was a good variable power scout-style scope available, I'd get one of those. I'm thinking 200yds max for the 2.5x. For me anyway.
Old August 13, 2011, 09:40 PM   #8
bamaranger

fess up

WEll, I'll admit it.........I 'm wrong. Went down to the safe and pulled out the Savage Scout. The Leupold Scout is indeed 2.5x.

I've lugged my Savage over hill and dale a country mile, plenty, and always thought the darn thing was 2.75x.

Sorry guys.
Old August 14, 2011, 02:06 PM   #9
cmdc

No problem Bama. As Floyd the barber on Andy Griffith said, "It's funny the things you don't know."