The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 6, 2010, 02:58 AM   #1
sTimoral

Just bought my first shotgun! Mossberg 500 Combo!

I just joined this forum so i can learn more about customizing my Mossberg 500. I just bought one last night, and it is completely stock. I want to add stuff to it to make it bad

Also, is there any tips, hints, tricks you guys can give me?

I bought this gun for home defense, as well as having fun with it at the Skeet range and maybe going hunting.

I have never owned, or shot a shotgun in my life but am excited to learn what it is all about.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Dave McC; March 6, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old March 6, 2010, 03:26 AM   #2
BlackFeather

Congrats, nice buy.

As for customization, there are too many ways to do it and I would suggest going for practicality and comfort over "Badassness".

Not a bad choice for a first shotgun but be careful. Always pull the stock into your shoulder hard and when racking the slide make sure you bring it all the way back.

Be sure to clean it out good. And have fun!

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old March 6, 2010, 06:19 AM   #3
GunsAreGood

All I can suggest is buy lots of ammo and have fun.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Old March 6, 2010, 11:02 AM   #4
the rifleer

Yep, go buy some ammo and take it to the range and shoot some skeet with it.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTimoral
I have never owned, or shot a shotgun in my life but am excited to learn what it is all about.
Congratulations on your new shotgun.

Really... instead of spending money to "to add stuff to it to make it bad ass," spend that money on ammunition, on some training to learn how to shoot it well, and then on some more ammo. That's "what it is all about" -- folks who know will be way more impressed with how well you can use the shotgun than with how "bad ass" it looks, and you'll enjoy shooting it a lot more after some instruction. Once you've put in the practice time, and know what you're doing with a shotgun, then you'll be in a position to know what, if anything, you want to "accessorize" it with.

If you do a search on this topic, you'll find that just about all the experienced shotgunners on this board keep their guns very "plain Jane"...

Old March 6, 2010, 12:07 PM   #6
zippy13

Congratulations, and welcome aboard sTimoral.

You commented, "I want to add stuff to it to make it bad ass."
That stuff is called ammunition and practice leading to proficiency. Your new gun is already bad ass, adding on tacti-cool-looking trinkets is just talking-the-talking without walking-the-walk. Do you want to look bad ass or dumb ass?
Old March 6, 2010, 05:09 PM   #7
noyes

Best Mods...........learn to shoot it as tho your life depends on it........

& Congratulations on your new shotgun

Last edited by noyes; March 8, 2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Let me add my basso profundo to the chorus.....

Buy ammo, use up, repeat. After the pile of empties reaches your shins, you WILL BE Bad, not just look bad....
Old March 6, 2010, 08:53 PM   #9
sTimoral

I am beginning to get the gist of what most of you are saying. Thanks for all the responses. I will buy ammo, and learn the ins and outs of the gun as much as I can. I have a skeet range 1 minute away from my house, so I could practice a lot.

As for ammunition, can anyone recommend a specific brand or type? I know that for skeet shooting I buy different ammunition as opposed to home defense bullets, am I right?

Also, Is there a specific detailed thread on how to clean my shotgun after I am done using it? thanks a lot guys.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:56 PM   #10
patriotthad

Get PROFESSIONAL training! Several years ago when I had more money, I spent a lot of money on guns and none on training. Now, I wish I had only bought three guns ( which guns would they be?) and spent all of the other money on training and ammo. Check your trainer out. Many get "Certified" but really can't help you. Read their credentials.
Old March 6, 2010, 09:16 PM   #11
zippy13

I have a skeet range 1 minute away from my house
How fortuitous... the angles are smiling for you.
Old March 6, 2010, 09:45 PM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
As for ammunition, can anyone recommend a specific brand or type? I know that for skeet shooting I buy different ammunition as opposed to home defense bullets, am I right?
Correct - for basic clay target shooting the Federal wally world 4 packs will do just fine. HD typically requires the use of something more potent, like 00 buck or similar
Old March 6, 2010, 10:07 PM   #13
the rifleer

Get el cheapo ammo, unless you are actually competing, then get the value packs...

mossbergs are very reliable and mine doesn't care what ammo i put through it.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:15 PM   #14
sTimoral

Sounds good.

I was looking at some videos on youtube on field stripping a Mossberg 500. Would I need to do this to clean my weapon? Or do I not need to take it that far..?

This is starting to become addicting. I feel like im missing out on a lot.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:28 PM   #15
LSU12ga

Congrats on the new gun, I really like the muzzle brake on the short barrel.

I'm going to just repeat what everyone else here has said, shoot it often and get comfortable with it. As ammunition goes there are several routes you can go; for skeet WW and other large sporting goods stores will have 100round value packs of #7 or #8 for 15-20$. For your home defense there are many different opinions, but most people will recommend #4 or 00 buckshot. You can find these at the same sporting goods stores for about 4.50-5 dollars / 5 shot box. There are some more specialized self defense rounds, such as low recoil buckshot, which can be found online at at the LGS.

I don't know where you will be keeping it but I have been using a gun grabber in my closet and I highly recommend it.

As far as accessories there is not a whole lot I can recommend to you, I have a similar shotgun and only have a removable cuff for ammo. The most practical thing is probably some sort of forend light, but these can run 200-300$.

Edit

You can field strip your gun after every session if you want, but I don't know if a full field strip is necessary; others might disagree, but I generally just clean the barrel and the chamber, and then field strip every now and then. I use a cleaning kit, some synthetic safe gun scrubber and some rem oil to clean it. Look at the boresnake cleaners as an easy way to clean the, well, bore.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:28 PM   #16
the rifleer

Like i said, mossbergs are very reliable. You could not clean it. I know of people that have had that same mossberg shotgun for 20-30 years and have never cleaned them and they still function perfectly.

I clean mine every 100 rounds or so ( or just at the end of the day if i shoot more than that). Its a good idea to keep it clean. I personally enjoy cleaning my rifles/shotgun. It will last longer, but even if you don't clean it you will definitely get your moneys worth out of it. At the minimum i would say put a drop or two of oil in every 300-500 rounds, but i recommend that you strip it and clean it.

The gun itself is not going to malfunction just because you don't clean it, its just going to work smoother and better if its cleaned and properly lubricated.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:37 PM   #17
sTimoral

Cool, thanks for the responses guys.

I was just checking out some videos online, and I noticed that there is a small kick when you fire this shotgun. Some people even mention getting sore. Now, I'm not a puny guy, however I do have a bad shoulder. Will this affect me too much when I take it to the range? Are there any tips on standing positions or anything like that?

Are there options available for extra padding on the butt of the shotty? I may need this for the women I decide to take to the shooting range with me as well
Old March 6, 2010, 11:39 PM   #18
noyes

I shoot 400 or so shells each time out.
Remove barrel for cleaning each time.
Wipe out receiver , wipe bolt as best i can , without disassembling.

Every forth time out (1200 shells or so) total disassemby & cleaning. Except trigger group ( just use cleaning solvent & tooth brush ).
Old March 6, 2010, 11:42 PM   #19
LSU12ga

Looks like you have a recoil pad on there already. There are some that can slip over and some that can drape over your shoulder. It shouldn't be too big of a problem; its a push, you're not really manipulating the shoulder joint too much.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:54 PM   #20
noyes

That's for fit. in second pic in Thread . http://members.aye.net/~bspen/fit.html

Wal Mart has Federal game shok 1oz. of shot loads for $4.67 a box of 25 or $18.68 for 100 shells .

Last edited by noyes; March 7, 2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old March 7, 2010, 01:46 AM   #21
New_Pollution1086

Excellent choice for a first firearm, I have a very similar combination with the muzzle break on it.

As said above, practice untill it feels like an extension of your body.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old March 7, 2010, 03:50 AM   #22
GunsAreGood

You should not have to much trouble with recoil if you are going to be doing trap or skeet shooting because you normally will use a lighter load for that type of shooting. I would encourage you to call your local range and ask them the requirements for the ammo. My range is picky with what we shoot because the pistol/rifle range is just behind the trap range and a heavy load will reach. better to find out now then to buy 1000 rounds that you cant shoot there. As mentioned before you can get a slip over pad for your stock or a range vest that will hold your shells as well as act as a pad for your shoulder. When it comes to cleaning your shotgun it is all preference. I disassemble completely and clean every time I shoot a round of trap but you will be fine if you do not. One thing is to make sure all the parts that should be getting a drop of oil here and there are or you might have trouble ejecting. Like I said before buy lots and lots of ammo and enjoy yourself.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Old March 7, 2010, 11:12 AM   #24
n7qvu

I have a 500 and love it.

As "patriotthad" said "Go get some training" and others said "Shoot often".

Welcome to TFL.
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old March 7, 2010, 02:56 PM   #25
sTimoral

Wow, this forum is very responsive thank you all very much for the help.

I will definitely call the skeet range that I live next to and ask which rounds they require. I wonder if they do training at that location as well... i'll ask.

I've heard from a lot of people not to get a pistol grip, and honestly, I don't want one. Out of curiosity though, does having a pistol grip usually absorb the kick of the shotgun?

I'm also assuming that the shooting ranges require that I have eye protection as well as ear buds?

Thanks for that info Noyes, im sure those charts will come in handy when I start getting into it further down the line.

Also, if any of you guys have shotguns, please feel free to post on this thread and share pictures, I would like to see them.