The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2014, 04:01 PM   #1
JefferS

Got a .308 Plink Load w/ 147 gr M80 and IMR-4xxx?

I got a bag of 147 gr M80 pulls, so I thought it would be fun to get some of them loaded to plink with. My current supplies I have on hand and would like to use are:

Powder:
  • IMR-4064
  • IMR-4350
  • IMR-4895

Brass:
  • Once-fired Lake City
  • Once-fired mixed factory (mostly Winchester)

I've looked at some other threads that recommended other powders, but I've got what I've got.

I'd like to see if someone has a good min/max and OAL that they would go by since I enjoy the workup of a load, but I'd be happy with a favorite recipe using the powder above (unless your favorite uses 60 gr of IMR4895 --I want to live ). I'll probably use the LC brass since I have a lot more of it than the other.

I'd also be curious as to if anyone thinks the 147 gr M80 is similar to something with load data, like maybe the Hornady 150 gr FMJ-BT (#3037). The Hornady manual (9th edition) puts all their 150 gr in the same load table, so they don't make much distinction on bullet type, but the 3037 has an OAL=2.7".
Old January 24, 2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Bart B.

If you don't have a reloading manual, check this out for a place to start:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

44 to 45 grains if IMR4895 will do fine. Start a couple of grains low then work up looking for obvious high pressure signs. The other powders you have can be used, but they're too slow for best results; save them for heavier bullets.

Seat bullets so the case mouth centers on the crimping cannelure, but don't crimp the case mouth onto the bullet.

This will make the ammo about perfect for feeding from magazines as well as decent accuracy when fired.
Old January 24, 2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Pull-downs I've played with were already distorted by the crimp the original round got at the factory. It may be my bad luck, but even loading to best practices I don't think I've ever got better than about 3 moa out of any of them. But YMMV, and that may be all you need for plinking if the range isn't too great.

If your plinking is to be at short ranges, you might save a little money by starting at 39 grains of 4895 in the military cases.

Regarding load data, bullets often have differences in hardness due to thickness of the jacket or, in the case of military rounds, having jackets of copper-plated soft steel (use a magnet to check for this; bullets with steel are not allowed at some ranges and can start fires in dry areas by sparking against stone). This can affect peak pressure. But, typically, using a starting load will take care of that.

Note that the Hodgdon .308 Win data was developed with Winchester cases and Federal 210M primer. Winchester .308 cases are lighter than military 7.62 cases and typically you want to reduce charges developed in Winchester cases by 1.5 grains to get matching pressure in 7.62 cases.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 24, 2014, 12:09 PM   #4
JefferS

They are Steel

Excellent call on the steel, UncleNick. I could have lifted the whole bag off the bench if my magnet was strong enough. Guess I didn't know everything about these guys. They're weighing in at around 147 gr, so I think I got that right (I hope).

I have a Nosler, Hornady, Lyman, and Lee manuals on hand. My problem was that I was not sure what bullet to compare these to, and I guess I didn't even know for sure what bullet I ended up with. I was just going to go with it being close to the Hornady, but I'm glad now I asked the question.

Does the steel affect the starting point, or is a 147 gr bullet like any 147 gr bullet? Not that I'll be able to test these at the range. I'll have to wait until I get to the country (someday). I'm still consider myself a newbie, but trying to get better.

I'll probably be loading my Speer bullets before these so I can go to the range with them, and I'll be clearly marking the bag since the person who gave them to me neglected that part.
Old January 24, 2014, 12:15 PM   #5
mikld

My M2 pulls go over 47.0 gr. of IMR4064 in HMX brass. Shoot these in my M1 and they are really enjoyable, and about 1 1/2"-2 1/2" at 60 yds...
Old January 26, 2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Mikld,

Are you maybe thinking of HXP brass in .30-06? The OP is running .308 Win.

JefferS,

I don't recall seeing any serious difference in the steel and copper loads. The steel is very soft. I etched the copper off one such bullet one time with a copper bore cleaner and the steel underneath was .304" diameter afterward, so the copper was about 0.002" thick all around. That means it's the copper that controls the coefficient of friction during firing. That thickness is half the height of your rifling. The steel is thin and distorts down into the lead core, which is no harder than any other core, either.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 26, 2014, 11:30 AM   #7
mikld

Quote:
Yep, my apologies! Reread the OP but missed the title line...
Old January 26, 2014, 05:06 PM   #8
JefferS

Interesting stuff, UncleNick. Thanks.

Quote:
No worries, mikld. Glad to know a .30-06 recipe. I just told a guy I'd take his Sportsman off his hands, so I'll be looking at the 06 recipes. I've already got some new Hornady brass for it, as well as a bunch of LC69. I'll probably be using my Nosler BTs for those. Already got the Nosler book, too!