The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 25, 2013, 12:35 PM   #51
Spats McGee
Staff

Biden may blame big magazines for Sandy Hook, but NBC recently reported that the shooter used 4 handguns. That's right. Handguns. If you can get to youtube, there's a clip from the Today show on that topic.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:08 PM   #52
HarrySchell

IIRC, that clip is dated 2 days after the murders. The story changed since then, for real or not.

There had to be a lot of shell casings on the floor. A .223 is impossible to mistake for a pistol round. How the initial radio reports from inside focused on handguns has to reflect the casings. I think.

Something appears amiss.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:42 PM   #53
Dr Big Bird PhD

I don't trust a single news story on the event for this reason.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 25, 2013, 02:01 PM   #54
Wbdisco

I agree with what most of you guys are saying, but the fact is that we are preaching to the choir. We don't have to change each others minds. We need to inform the uninformed. As gun owners we are the minority, most people haven't been effected by gun violence directly or been assaulted to the point that we needed to protect ourselves. That is what makes the whole "less guns less violence" thing stick. There are going to be certain explanations that will automatically turn off the uninformed or anti gunners. These are usually gov tyranny, more guns make me safer, the police won't always be there, and because "it is my right". We really need to think of a way to connect to these people through emotions, and use their tactics against them.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:05 PM   #55
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrySchell
IIRC, that clip is dated 2 days after the murders. The story changed since then, for real or not.
Ah, I must have missed that part. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrySchell
Something appears amiss.
Agreed.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:56 PM   #56
Kimio

I used an argument asking why we segregate the deaths of those by gun shot by those who die from a stabbing wound or being beaten to death. How is it more acceptable for those tragic losses of life by one tool when compared to another.

Ultimately we value life, both sides (most of the time) want to do something to better the world so that our children and their children are able to grow up in a safer world.

A death is a death, it matters not what instrument you use to commit the crime. I ask what makes that LEO or retired military member more valuable and have more of a right to defend themselves against the same criminals that would just as quickly end their lives in an attempt to escape being brought to justice than I have the right to defend myself my loved ones and my property from when those same criminals try to threaten me and mine?

Why am I not allowed to use one of the most common and effective instruments in our modern day society that our Militaries and police officers arm themselves with to enforce the laws that are being broken by said criminals who already would have no qualms about killing those who would enforce them without a moments hesitation due to a very apparent lack of respect to said laws and regulations.

I want to be able to ensure the safety of me and mine, and while I wish I did not have need to arm myself, and were able to entrust me and my families well being to those that are trained and employed to protect and secure my freedom, the fact is, there simply isn't enough of them to gurantee that I will be safe at all times. Thus, it is up to me, to provide that protection for me and mine until help from those noble men and women serving as LEO and soldiers are able to arrive and assist.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:59 PM   #57
Daugherty16

I received a message from another forum i frequent, and just have to post the link.A quote from the body of founder Pat LeFemine's editorial, without permission but posted anyway, is here:
A Message to the Opposition

Hunters do not cower from your threats. We see right through your transparent attempts to divide us. It will not work. You may dupe the masses with your crafted sound bites and emotional campaigns but you won’t fool us. Your anti gun agenda was not bourne from the tragic events on December 14th.

We were all devastated by Sandy Hook. I live in Connecticut. I know people in Newtown. My heart was torn apart on that day. Those little kids were a treasure that can never be replaced.

Every gun owner I know wishes he was at Sandy Hook on December 14th. To place myself in harm’s way for a chance to protect those kids from a monster would have been my duty, my honor. Every hunter and gun owner I know feels the same.

So while you use this tragedy to push your feel-good, impotent gun control agenda understand one thing about us; we would consider it an honor to defend your kids too. If that day ever comes, and I pray it does not, you will want us there (with far more firepower and ammo than we need to kill a deer). You will tearfully thank the lawful gun owner who stood between evil and your family. You know this to be true, even though you will never admit it.

Here is the link. Pass it on.

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/featu...cles/together/
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:41 PM   #58
Spats McGee
Staff

I'd never been to bowsite.com, but that was a very interesting page.

Tags
google , gun control , joe biden , white house