The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2016, 12:36 AM   #26
The Old Salt

I have some LC headlamp brass. It was Lake City pull down ammo. It was primed when I bought it.
I was testing a prototype 308 barrel using the LC brass. For a recent test the brass had 4 previous firing with being annealed after the 4th firing. It was loaded with 175g SMK and IMR 4064 powder.
The LC brass survived loadings that produced 175g SMK IVs in excess of 3000 fps with no side effects except a slight bulge in the case wall 30% up the case from the head and case expansion at the shoulder to case side transition. Several had stiff bolt lifts.
My point is, it is very strong brass! It withstood pressures that produced mid 300 Win Mag IVs out of a 308! Under more standard loadings it willserve you well.
Old July 20, 2016, 03:05 AM   #27
Nosler guy

I totally agree with road clam. Lc is pretty darn good stuff. It's the only brass my sport rifle likes (for accuracy) and I've reloaded some up to 6 or 7 times. I used to turn my nose up at it bc of how wonky and off center the flash holes are. I always year stamp sort and sometimes weight sort for those extra special loads.