The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 10, 1999, 11:37 AM   #1
deanf

If dumb luck shines upon me and I do take a bear, I plan on keeping the pelt, but I'm not sure about the meat. I've had bear summer sausage, and while it was tasty, it was very greasy, and I can't eat more than a couple of slices in one sitting. Consequently, I have several rolls of two-year-old bear sausage sitting in the deep freeze.

(I'm having a hard time getting to the point here.)

Is it ok (ethical) to take the bear just for the pelt?

I will try bear again, prepared differently, but I'm not sure I could eat/give away all the meat before it spoiled.

I'm already starting to feel guilty for taking the animal without any firm plans about what I'm going to do with most of it.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789
Old August 10, 1999, 08:21 PM   #2
Long Path

Donate the meat to an orphanage.

I know several who have in CO.

Consult the local game warden for tips.

I think I'd feel the same way. As bear is considered a "meat animal," you may be legally as well as morally obligated to have plans for the meat.

I never planned to eat a coyote or bobcat after shooting it, but a bear is kinda different.

That said, I've never eaten bear. Perhaps someone has suggestions for ways of removing the tallow from the meat? I guess I'd cut it into strips and fry it on the griddle like bacon, then use it for soups.

Old August 10, 1999, 11:32 PM   #3
Huntman

Ethically I don't think it is proper to keep on shooting bears without using the meat.This is an ongoing problem with outfitters who have clients only interested in the hide.I have had the hindquarters cut in steaks and chops.On a barbecue NO one even commented on them(could have been beef)It is a tough call to shoot an animal like a bear only for the trophy.
Old August 11, 1999, 05:37 AM   #4
Long Path

Barbecue is perfect! That's why you usually want pork or brisket on the barbecue, because it would dry out, otherwise in slow-cooking. Also, strong sauce and smokey flavor.

Chops and steaks!

They're cheaper, too!
Old August 11, 1999, 03:35 PM   #5
Paul B.

Years ago (more than 30) when I lived in california, if you hunted bear in Humbolt county, and were successful in killing your two bears, you could turn in your used tags and get two more free. I always tried to shoot the younger ones, as the meat was not as strong. You're right though, bar-b-que is the way to go.
Paul B.
Old August 11, 1999, 05:47 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Render the fat. Blackpowder shooters use to love bear grease for lubricating their smokepoles, patches and what not.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt