The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 13, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Ideal Tool

Choose gun before or after CHL class?

Hello, I have been thinking of taking class & obtaining cpl. Question: do you need a conceable carry gun BEFORE taking classs? All my guns have at least 6" brl. & right now is not good time to buy. Can you go through class with a mod. 19 6"? Only short one is 3" Colt 1877 Lightning! Thanks guys!
Old October 13, 2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Archer-1911

Ask the instructor.

It depends mainly on the instructor. Some have one you can shoot, others let you bring whatever of yours, others still don't even take you to the range and you qualify with a laser gun (don't ask me that's how a good friend of the families got his). You'd be best off asking the instructor whom is going to be teaching you, or the company you're going through.
Old October 13, 2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Mod. note: Title changed to reflect the thread's subject.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 13, 2010, 09:46 PM   #4
MLeake

States I have permits in...

... don't register firearms, and don't specify a particular firearm on a carry permit. So, unless the instructor had a requirement to use a pistol intended for carry (my instructor in Florida had no such requirement), any handgun would do.

Not sure how that would work in a state that specifies a particular pistol on the permit, but would guess that pistol would have to be used for qual.

As Archer-1911 said, best bet is to ask the instructor you plan to use.
Old October 14, 2010, 08:04 AM   #5
aarondhgraham

Here is one thing to check for,,,

In my state (Oklahoma) if you take the class with a revolver then your license will restrict you to carrying a revolver or a derringer.

If you take the class with a semi-auto pistol you will be licensed to carry any style handgun.

I would ask if they have any rental pistols available for the class,,,
That's what I did as at the time I did not own a semi-auto.

Just something to check,,,

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 14, 2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Skans

Most concealed handgun classes, or concealed weapons classes, etc. are a joke. They are geared to getting large numbers of people to simply get their permits. It's like thinking that after taking your basic driving test to get a license that it prepared you to drive a car in all sorts of conditions.

So, IMHO, the concealed carry class is a big "0" in someone's determination of what kind of gun is best for daily carry for them. In other words its simply a non-factor. The only way you will know which handgun is best for you to carry is to do your research, ask others who carry lots of questions, familiarize yourself with what you think you might want to carry, figure out what caliber you are comfortable with, try out different modes of carrying in a gunshop if you can.

Then, you will simply have to pick a gun, buy it and carry it for a while. If it works out for you - great. If it doesn't, sell/trade it for something that works better for you. Most of us, no matter how experienced and how much we carry, swap out guns/holsters from time to time. Nothing's perfect!

Then, you will really need learn how to use your gun in various situations. This requires real training and real instruction and lots of practice. One-on-one kind of training. You need to learn how to draw your weapon; when to fire; how to deal with multiple attackers; how to draw from various positions; how to clear jams or deal with problems; determine your "range" with your chosen weapon and lots of other things that I am forgetting to mention. You need to learn when not to try to use your gun. For instance, if someone sneaks up on you and has a gun pointed at your chest - are you going to try to draw your weapon and shoot??? Better think again.

So, my suggestion is do your research, try stuff out, do more research, try more stuff out, ask lots of practical questions, buy a gun and holster, get some real training with what you've got. Carry it daily. Only then will you know if it works for you.
Old October 14, 2010, 08:35 AM   #7
kraigwy

In an "ideal world" a insturctor would provide several types of guns to allow the student the ability to see what fits him and his requirements.

The student should be give the opertunity to shoot then enough to make a informed decission, then qualify with the one that fits his needs.

Of course in an "ideal world" we would only have guns for sports and pleasure.

In the real world, the student should, on his own, try as many pistols and revolvers as possible to make the decission on their own before the class.

We tend to put too much on the instructor or coach without putting in the effert on our own.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 14, 2010, 08:35 AM   #8
MLeake

Concealed carry classes can be a joke...

... but they are required in some states, in order to get the permit.

And in at least one or two states, the specific firearm(s) to be carried must be listed on the permit.

No idea if Michigan falls under either category, but odds are we have some Michigan members who can help the OP out.
Old October 14, 2010, 10:31 AM   #9
Archer-1911

Michigan

PFFT I didn't even noticed OP lived in MI sorry about that dude. The course is manditory in MI and you need to be on the range with an instructor for around an hour. As far as I know you can take the CPL course with just about anything, again that's going to be largely based on the instructors personal convictions. The instructor might frown upon bringing a .460 or .500 S&W but the gun you take the class with does not have to be your final carry piece, I know that for certain. I took my full sized Kimber Custom II, only weapon I had at the time, and qualified no problem. Since then I've carried a couple of different guns. Like I said earlier it's best just to ask the instructor or the facility you plan on taking the course with.
Old October 14, 2010, 11:40 AM   #10
thesheepdog

Rent a handgun, then buy one afterwards.
Old October 15, 2010, 08:11 AM   #11
bikerbill

In Texas, taking the class with a revolver limits you to carrying a revolver, so if that's a concern, you'd have to take an autoloader. The state also specifies the smallest caliber you can test with .. I think it's .38 Spcl. However, you DON'T have to test with the gun you plan to carry, so you could in fact take the test with a borrowed gun and decide later what you want to use as a carry piece. I'm guessing it's different in other states, so know your state's laws before you sign up for the class. I tested -- and renewed -- with my Springer XD 9mm, but I never carry that gun, for a variety of reasons ...
Old October 15, 2010, 03:58 PM   #12
old bear

Apparently you don’t own a handgun as of yet, so I would borrow or rent both a revolver and an automatic. That way you can see which style works best for you. Personally I prefer a revolver and recommend a revolver for the first time shooter.

Enjoy the class and be safe.
Old October 15, 2010, 04:10 PM   #13
Stiofan

Actually he says he does own handguns, but only ones with long barrels such as his SW 6" mod 19.
Old October 15, 2010, 04:24 PM   #14
Ideal Tool

Hi guys! Thanks for all the input..I have another question..how many rounds are usually required to qualify in these classes? The reason I ask is that I do have a short brl. revolver..didn't mention it before because it's kind of old..a S&W hand-ejector .32 with 4" brl. complete with very slight bulge in brl! If I didn't have to shoot alot, this old timer might fit the bill, other then that, could you bring a .22?...S&W 6" mod. 17? One of these days, I would love to have a 21/2 or 3" Python as carry. Thanks guys!
Old October 15, 2010, 04:29 PM   #15
thesheepdog

Quote:
Hi guys! Thanks for all the input..I have another question..how many rounds are usually required to qualify in these classes?
50 in Texas.
Old October 15, 2010, 05:40 PM   #16
WW2

Oh No!

Quote:
a S&W hand-ejector .32 with 4" brl. complete with very slight bulge in brl!
A bulge in the barrel? I would either get it fixed or trash it. That bulge could result in a very bad accident when shooting!

Of course, I am no gunsmith, so my recommendation is to have it checked out by a good smith!
Old October 15, 2010, 06:08 PM   #17
Buzzcook

I guess it depends on the class you take and the instructor. Personally I'd wait till you can get a better idea of what you're going to want in a carry gun.

Ask your instructor, he and your state laws are the authorities that matter.
Old October 15, 2010, 06:48 PM   #18
X_shooter

I took mine in Michigan and my class required 150 rounds. I shot close to 200 including making more holes for the instructor as well as some steel targets they let us shoot at the end of the class. YMMV.
Old October 15, 2010, 07:54 PM   #19
Sherlock

Can you visit some ranges and try out some more compact guns? It's great if you can get a feel for the gun you are looking to carry. Take into consideration how you are going to carry it, as previously mentioned, for instance are you able to to wear shirts or polos untucked, do you have to were dress attire? Do you prefer revolvers or semi autos? Are you thinking of carrying in pocket holster, inside the waist band or on a OWB holster?

In Ohio it does not matter what we qualify with. I could have shot a S&W revolver and carry a M&P. I don't know how it is in Michigan.

I hope you enjoy the class and good luck with choosing a carry piece.
Traveling Man - Hoover #770 F&AM
Freedom exists so long as freemen stand united and devoted to protecting it.
Old October 15, 2010, 07:59 PM   #20
Dave85

Different classes have different requirements, based on their own designs. The State of Michigan only requires an expenditure of 30 rounds during a training program. Also, there is no state requirement that you bring your own gun. My guess is, you should be able to find a course at a gun shop where they would be happy to help you shoot what you think you might like to buy from them.

Once you have your CPL (it is a Concealed Pistol License in Michigan), you may carry any legal handgun—revolver, auto, or derringer—that you can keep concealed.

Here is a link to the statute that outlines the requirements for training.
Old October 17, 2010, 07:15 PM   #21
IZZY

dont buy a gun for a course, buy a gun for CARRY.

That means YOU should have it on you always outside the home, often inside as well.

Choose the biggest and most reliable gun you can comfortably conceil and carry that will do the job.

For me it's a glock 30.

for you....