The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 8, 2014, 12:57 AM   #151
DaleA

Welcome back. Very fine stuff indeed.

Quote:
It's a skull allright, but not a human one. A fire demon, you can see them around every now and then. Scary [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], huh?
Reminds me of an old ('50's or '60's) science fiction story where they got super high speed photos of a nuclear explosion and saw a laughing devil's head in the mushroom cloud. Heh. In the story it WAS the devil laughing at the human race for creating such a device.
Old September 8, 2014, 08:08 AM   #152
Fingunner

Quote:
Yeah, viewing them on a large screen isn't helping, i can focus on the smaller test image, and i can get the gun pics to work, but they don't come into full focus, they stay slightly blurred.
Try to make pictures smaller (CTRL + mouse wheel) or (select smaller magnification from web browser).

This is a bit easier than ones with bullet flying towards you:

Can you get this work?
Old September 8, 2014, 06:53 PM   #153
MaDMaXX

Yes, i can get that one to work, thanks, interestingly, i get to the same half focused point, and it sits there for another few seconds before i can get the sharp definition.

That didn't happen on the others. I wonder if it's anything to do with resizing (initial image work, not scaling in the browser) as i know the old magic eye pics had that problem on computers.

*Edit - hmm, just went and looked at the pics on page 6 of this thread and was able to view them ok, i'll check the ones back on your site later. I *think* the focus level is linked to how cross-eyed you are, if that's off, even if the 'middle' picture is clearly bordered, i can't seem to *fully* focus on the center image.
Old September 14, 2014, 08:18 AM   #154
Fingunner

Yesterday I heard that one of my shooting buddies had an incident at range. Nothing too serious but an eye injury. Da*n, eyes again? Hopefully it's not a permanent one.
Guess if he had his eye protection on? No, he did not, so in addition to thousands already existing warnings I made a simple picture with clear message:

Eye protection link

I can say I'm on mission: This picture is something I ask you to post and send forward and even print to you local range wall.

Don't gamble with your eyes - you can only lose in that game!
Old September 15, 2014, 11:56 AM   #155
tipoc

Outstanding!

tipoc
Old September 19, 2014, 10:21 AM   #156
Fingunner

Pictures for Glock enthusiasts:

A brief moment after hammer hit:

And even smaller moment after previous image:

Enjoy

Go check the rest:
Kuulapaa site
Old September 19, 2014, 07:43 PM   #157
MaDMaXX

Oooh, is that the new equipment, those shots are really clear and crisp, i like.
Old September 20, 2014, 09:34 AM   #158
Fingunner

Yep, they were taken with new gear. It was pain in the @ss but it was worth it

Anyway, there has been discussion about bullet wobble in couple of forums and here is one picture, which may show an example.

I don't say that bullets wobble, but they seem to be slightly tilted.
What do you think?
Old September 20, 2014, 10:11 AM   #159
B.L.E.

I would think it wobbles like a badly thrown football. Maybe the cast bullet had an air pocket and the wobble represents the bullet spinning around its off-center center of mass.
Old September 20, 2014, 12:32 PM   #160
JD0x0

That's definitely not the first pic I've seen that 'bullet crookedness' It's sort of interesting as most pistols have fairly fast twist rates, and short projectiles, so they should be more than stabilized. Maybe that's the problem, they're being spun a bit too fast, and it's causing the bullet to 'tilt' I've read about that happening with 'overspun' rifle bullets having a slight 'tilt' which will reduce the ballistic coefficient of said projectile.

Just to give an example. A 9mm Kahr has a 1:10'' twist for 9x19
If we fire a 124 grain Nosler hollowpoint with a length of .56'' @ 1100FPS, projectile has a stability factor of 13.9 according to Berger's twist calculator.

A stability factor of 1.5 is considered stable, 2 is usually considered ideal stability. This particular example has an SG of 13.9 which is very high. A lighter/shorter bullet would have an even higher factor, still.
Quote:
Bullets do not follow a laser beam-like, perfectly straight line to the target, nor does the nose of the bullet always point exactly at the point of aim. Multiple forces are in effect that may cause the bullet to yaw (rotate side to side around its axis), tilt nose-up (pitch), or precess (like a spinning top) in flight. These effects (in exaggerated form) are shown below:

Last edited by JD0x0; September 20, 2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old September 20, 2014, 12:37 PM   #161
MaDMaXX

I agree, i think they start their flight like a dart or an American football/Rugby ball.
Old September 20, 2014, 03:52 PM   #162
Cyanide971

These are awesome!
Old September 21, 2014, 01:36 PM   #163
treg

Awesome pics, thanks for posting!

I especially like the stereoscopic images.
Old September 21, 2014, 03:47 PM   #164
Shadi Khalil

What app for the iphone are you using to take these pics?
Old September 21, 2014, 05:09 PM   #165
skizzums

could you get multiple bullets in a single pic from a full-auto? I know 900rpm isn't that fast, so they might be too far apart to do it
Old September 21, 2014, 07:56 PM   #166
B.L.E.

Quote:
could you get multiple bullets in a single pic from a full-auto? I know 900rpm isn't that fast, so they might be too far apart to do it
Probably not. Even a Minigun firing at 6000 rpm (100 rounds per second) will have the first bullet about 28 ft down range before the second one leaves the barrel assuming a 2800 fps muzzle velocity.

A .45acp submachine gun at 1200 rpm will have the bullets 45 ft apart if the bullets travel 900 fps.
Old October 9, 2014, 12:59 PM   #167
Fingunner

Couple STI Trubor pics for race gunners

More high speed photography
Old October 10, 2014, 09:02 AM   #168
Fingunner

Does the slide start moving before or after bullet has exited the barrel?

Old October 10, 2014, 09:59 PM   #169
B.L.E.

I didn't realize that so much gas leaked past the bullet, or is the bullet pushing the smoke from a previous shot out of the barrel ahead of it?
Old October 10, 2014, 10:06 PM   #170
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Does the slide start moving before or after bullet has exited the barrel?
Excellent picture!

It confirms what physics tells us must be true.
Old October 11, 2014, 11:18 PM   #171
Hunter0924

Awesome work man.
I am thoroughly impressed.
Old October 12, 2014, 02:34 PM   #172
tipoc

Quote:
I didn't realize that so much gas leaked past the bullet, or is the bullet pushing the smoke from a previous shot out of the barrel ahead of it?
What you see is the expanding gas (and bits of unburnt powder, etc.) leaving the barrel faster than the bullet. It is lighter than the bullet and travels faster. Once clear of the barrel it expands rapidly in all directions. It's this propellant charge that pushes the bullet forward. Some leaks past the bullet as it travels down the barrel. This gas is what we see as the muzzle flash, smoke and bits of detritus leaving the barrel.

tipoc
Old October 12, 2014, 07:53 PM   #173
chrisintexas

poster fingunner - n your post 134, what glasses and ear muff is the guy wearing in the photo
Old November 6, 2014, 02:38 PM   #174
wizrd

Holy crap! -- awesome !
Old November 30, 2014, 10:51 PM   #175
patreojames

Very cool pictures.