The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 24, 2010, 08:52 PM   #1
hknut

Trust

What is the easiest way to set up a legal trust? I was told that Legal Zoom was really good. Anybody have any dealings with them?

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old February 25, 2010, 08:46 AM   #2
timpierce

I downloaded Quicken Wllmaker for 38.00. It was fast and easy.
Old February 25, 2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Doc Intrepid

There is a substantial difference between a Will and a Living Trust.

Depending on now complex your circumstances are, and/or how large your estate is, you might be well advised to consult with a Lawyer who works in Estate Law and creates trusts. Living trusts can be fairly complex documents.

FWIW.
Old February 25, 2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Skans

If you are going to go the trust route you really should consider using a lawyer, especially one with some experience doing trusts intended to hold NFA items to bypass the CLEO sighnoff.

There are lots of things you can screw up trying to do your own trust. I got a look at one that someone used to purchase silencers - he had a lawer draw it up for him, and he said it worked just fine.
Old February 25, 2010, 11:41 AM   #5
timpierce

Quicken Willmaker has provisions to create a living trust, which is what I did. My stamp was approved with the document I created with the software.
Old February 26, 2010, 11:55 PM   #6
mrnkc130

I actually just filled out my trust tonight, I had some help from someone that has done on before...but really it is not that difficult. I am horrible at filling out paperwork, it's my curse. After I had it explained to me how to fill it out I went thru and double checked everything, if you use quicken willmaker it basically takes you thru it step by step. The main thing that was explained to me is just dont make it to complicated. Have a dedicated trust for your NFA stuff, dont put cars and sorts of other things on it. I'll be mailing mine off this week with a supressor and an SBR on it and I'm confident there will be no problems.

Quicken will maker is about $35-$45 bucks, I think walmarts have them, if not you can easily find them on amazon.
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man,the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a timehanded out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now
restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:bread and circuses (Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81)
Old February 26, 2010, 11:57 PM   #7
Indiana shooter

a living trust and a trust are two different creatures, make sure your trust is worth the paper its printed on in your state.
Old February 28, 2010, 09:57 PM   #8
hknut

A class 3/SOT dealer has sent in MANY of these forms. He said it was easy and he would do alot of it and flag where I needed to fill in. I just wanted to find out if there and easier ways. In my case its a 2 hour drive each way to fill out the paper work.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.