The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 28, 2014, 01:14 PM   #51
tipoc

Why so much for that 3" gun? Well other than that rich folks will pay whatever they want to to outbid their rivals for something they want we have this clue...

Quote:

This is one of the rarest of the rare 3" barrel Colt Combat Pythons you are likely to encounter; a New In The Box, Model I3030, made in 2003 as a custom order of 10 stainless steel Combat Pythons for Carol Wilkerson; this is number 9 of that batch from Colt's Custom Shop. We have the purchase letter from the gun shop and I also emailed Carol Wilkerson and verified her purchase date of December 2003 from Colt, at which time she sold this revolver to the current owner; I can forward this email as well. For those of you unfamiliar with Carol Wilkerson, you can go to this link: http://collectcolt.com/ Also this link is helpful (what I used) to identify this guns authenticity and origin: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/pyth...uestion-5.html As for any of the usual shenanigans, if you want this revolver, bid or get off the pot if you want this in your collection! The seller will not be interested in ending the auction early for your "reasonable offer". On the back end, if payment is not received within 14 days, I will relist the revolver. If you can not afford it, do not bid. You are responsible for the FFL to FFL transfer, shipping & insurance fees; this will be actual costs to us and not padded (and if you have to ask, you are bidding on the wrong revolver).
This particular gun comes from a well known batch of guns from a famous Colt collector. "Famous" in the same way that R.L. Wilson is famous (or infamous) in certain circles of Colt collectors. So it's not any Python, it's a particular Python. It was made at a certain time and owned by a particularly well known family of Colt collectors famous for that collection. Oh yeah, and 2 or 3 well healed fellas got in a bidding war for it.

People pay for aura and mystique. How else explain Kim Kardashian.

tipoc
Old September 29, 2014, 01:58 PM   #52

Here's the most expensive Python I've ever seen.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=442236426
Old September 29, 2014, 02:03 PM   #53
Sevens

Hmmm.

Is that more pricey than the Python referenced in Post#42 and posted with a link two days ago, and discussed in 4 of the last 5 posts before yours?

Old September 29, 2014, 03:27 PM   #54
dakota1911

Some of it is when lots of us were younger we wanted one and could not afford it. Now we have more money but Colt no longer makes them. I lucked out and bought a 6 inch Elite the last year Colt was still making them. I was worried as I ordered it sight unseen. It was a $1K thing. It is built like a swiss watch. I figured maybe a lot of the folk at Colt wanted the last ones to be good. Even I was amazed when I have seen these go for like $4.5K on the intergoogle sites. If you buy a Python because you wanted one and have the money go for it. If you buy one because you think you can double your money on it then good luck.
Old September 29, 2014, 03:29 PM   #55
dakota1911

By the way, besides the Python which is SS in 6 inch I have a S&W 686 in 6 inch and a Ruger GP 100 in 6 inch, so if you just want a DA revolver then you get into other questions.
Old September 29, 2014, 07:24 PM   #56

Hmmm.

Is that more pricey than the Python referenced in Post#42 and posted with a link two days ago, and discussed in 4 of the last 5 posts before yours?

You're asking way too many questions with too many numbers involved. I don't due stress on internet forums.