The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 30, 2014, 04:58 PM   #1
MtnMike1

Finally Pulled The Trigger - Virgin Buyer

Hi all, I've been lurking around here for a few days and posted a few times seeking help to make my first handgun purchase. Many of you responded and provided help in that decision, thank you all. I want to give a special shout out to Uncle Malice who was very patient answering my questions over several PMs.

I ran the gambit from a HK, CZ, Glock, Springfield and Sig. At first going after a combo CC/OC before deciding on a full size gun. I narrowed it down to a Sig 226 a couple of days ago but then I could[t decide between a couple of different models. Today I ordered a P226 Enhanced Elite and I can't wait to try it out.

If anyone else has the same gun I would like to hear which holsters you found most useful. I hope to avoid ending up with a box of unused leather as I've read many have.
Old January 30, 2014, 05:19 PM   #2
RockDTMC

Good choice, that's a great gun. As far as holsters go, I'm a big fan of De Santis holsters. I use their Speed Scabbard for OWB and the Cozy Partner for IWB. They work great for me.
Old January 30, 2014, 05:21 PM   #3
LockedBreech

What a fantastic choice in a first gun. Top shelf. Congratulations.

For a full-size range gun I love the Blackhawk SERPA holsters (For my Beretta 92FS and Beretta PX4). I'm not sure they make one for the 226 but I think so.

If you have the money, also check out Mitch Rosen and Galco, among others. Quality leather. Don Hume is another expensive but outstanding band.

I carry my Ruger LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis which is fantastic, but I have no experience with their full size holsters.
Old January 30, 2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Topher127

Nice Choice

Congrats on that purchase! You'll be very happy with a Sig.
Old January 30, 2014, 05:42 PM   #5
WVsig

Good gun enjoy the Sig.....
Old January 30, 2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Dc777

That's like a '69 camaro for your first car. You will love the gun.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 30, 2014, 06:00 PM   #7
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Today I ordered a P226 Enhanced Elite and I can't wait to try it out.
Congratulations dude. As others have said, that's a heck of a first gun. I'm glad I could give you a hand and I'm sure you'll like it a lot. Be sure to share some pics when it comes in!
Old January 30, 2014, 06:07 PM   #8
IMightBeWrong

You bought a truly remarkable pistol as your first gun. There are legions of shooters that went through dozens of other firearms before finally resting on the SIG platform as their pistols of choice - including myself, or at the very least nothing beats a SIG for me and few are on par with it. Congrats on the purchase!
Old January 30, 2014, 08:03 PM   #9
shaunpain

I have a standard P226 in .40 in the cabinet that is an absolute tack driver. While the gun is a little big for my hands, it's perfect for someone with mitts. You will love your new Sig, and by the way, CONGRATS! I'm sure you will have many more guns in your future!
Old January 30, 2014, 10:33 PM   #10
MtnMike1

Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys, I'm happy with my choice. I'm excited to practice and become expert with a gun that makes me look forward to picking it up. I handled and shot a number of very good guns while looking that just did not excite me.

On my first trip to a gun range I shot my own G27 and four rentals. The gun that felt best and I shot most accurately was and older, worn out looking P226. Of course, the gun and I may have that in common, LOL
Old January 31, 2014, 09:30 AM   #11
Gaerek

Holsters are an incredibly personal choice. Some people like a certain brand/style/material/etc. When I bought my first gun, I probably went through 3 or 4 holsters for it before I found one I really liked. Expect to do the same. Really though, the first question I would ask is, what's the purpose of the holster?

If it's just to hit the range, then a good OWB (outside the waistband) holster will do very nicely. I'd make sure it at least has one level of retention, especially if you're planning to wear it outside the range at all. Blackhawk! Serpa's are extremely popular (just make sure you're not pushing the release like a button, and instead are simply indexing your finger along the frame). But a lot of people don't like Kydex holsters. If you prefer leather, Bianchi, Galco, De Santis and others make good leather. I'd personally stay away from anything made from nylon. If you want something sturdy leather is really the only material.

If you're looking for a carry rig, the best I can recommend is a "Crossbreed" style hybrid IWB (inside the waistband) holster. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Crossbreed (they're good quality, just expensive), but there are several companies that make these style. Alien Gear holsters makes them with several unique features and features the other companies charge extra for, and they're half the price. This style of holster has a leather backing, with a kydex shell that actually holds the gun. Then clips are installed that allows it to hang off your belt, but inside your pants. Worth looking into.

But MOST importantly, and I can't stress this enough, is get a GOOD gun belt. A flimsy leather dress belt will not work. Many companies make them, but expect to spend at least $50 for a good belt.

Lastly, the P226 is a popular enough gun that you should be able to find just about any brand/style of holster for it. I know Blackhawk does make a Serpa for it, my father-in-law has one.
Old January 31, 2014, 09:35 AM   #12
loose_holster_dan

that's a way to start. can't help you with the holster. that's bigger than i usually like to carry.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 31, 2014, 09:46 AM   #13
WVsig

Take a look at Milt Sparks...
Old January 31, 2014, 03:40 PM   #14
dakota1911

Nice pistol. I do not have one right now but a good friend does and I get to shoot his. SIG makes a lot of good stuff.
Old January 31, 2014, 03:51 PM   #15
southjk

Good choice of pistol. I have the exact same model so I'm a bit biased but I think you'll love it. I don't carry mine so no holster but I've been happy with the Crossbreed brand and just ordered another for my M&P 9. Happy shooting.
Old January 31, 2014, 04:04 PM   #16
zincwarrior

What purpose is your holster?

CC?
field carry?
just a holster to take to the range?
Old January 31, 2014, 06:06 PM   #17
MtnMike1

Holster

I plan to buy two most likely. One for open carry while motorcycling, camping, etc and one for CC. I know the 226 is on the large size for CC but I want to try it and see how it works for me.
Old January 31, 2014, 06:21 PM   #18
chris in va

Having been in a motorcycle wreck, I humbly suggest you reconsider wearing a hunk of metal on your hip.

I had my Kahr in my jacket pocket and if it had been on my hip, I would have broken my pelvis.
Old January 31, 2014, 07:50 PM   #19
MtnMike1

Thanks Chris, that is a great point which I had not considered. Think I'll revisit where to carry when I'm riding.
Old January 31, 2014, 08:20 PM   #20
Uncle Malice

Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster is a good option. Nice and secure.

I've gone down myself, although not while carrying. I think, for me, the potential possibility of a crash is not much of a determining factor on how or what I carry.... but I certainly understand that point of view.
Old January 31, 2014, 11:30 PM   #21
fire4606

Taken off a bike at 60 mph by a deer, like Malice that possibility doesn't influence how I carry, nor would it have made any difference in my case.

226 is a nice pistol, congrats
Old February 2, 2014, 01:02 AM   #22
seeker073180

~7 years ago, my P226R was my first handgun..... First of many!!!
Old February 2, 2014, 09:46 AM   #23
915A

Wow awesome first pistol, congrats man! Holsters are just as tough to pick there are tons of options. But I will throw in my opinion, http://adamsholsters.com/store/ . I have two of Luke's Texas IWB's and is Texas IWB mag carrier. Super comfortable, minimal to no break in time, and extremely well made. Luke and Sarah have some of the best customer service I've dealt with in a long time, and they are with you through out thr whole process. I highly recommend them.
Old February 3, 2014, 07:11 PM   #24
Crankgrinder

I don't own a sig but I already told somebody else if I bought another semi it would have to be a sig, that stainless elite is one fine piece, that one you got is too. Had to start spending the $ on my holsters before I found one I liked. Wife just bought me an arg from rosen and its like a fine set of wheels for something.