The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 11, 2006, 08:31 PM   #1
carl418

Are Charter Arms any good?

I almost hate to ask this question. I'm halfway sure I'm going to hear lots of negative things about Charter Arms. But, maybe I'm wrong. So, let's hear it..... Is Charter Arms any good? I'm talking about the latest offerings from them. Does anyone out there know about the .38's they offer? Are they accurate? ( at least, accurate as far as a 2" barrel can be....) What about the quality? I don't expect a $300 gun to compare to a $500 one, but..... is it a waste of $300?
Old March 11, 2006, 08:43 PM   #2
XavierBreath

I have no experience with Charter Arms revolvers except that some of my retired cop friends liked them back when. They say they were good for the money. I do not know about the new ones.

For $300 though, you can find a nice used Smith J frame in most areas.
Old March 11, 2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Ozzieman

Older charter arms were good guns for the price

I still have a Bull dog 44 sp and a small 38 that I bought for my mother.
I picked up a new Bulldog several weeks ago and the best discription for it was that some one took my old bulldog and filled it with sand and cat litter.
Not impressed.
Old March 11, 2006, 09:01 PM   #4
carl418

I wish I COULD find a good used carry gun! The local gun dealer told me that they occasionally see a good used one, but they go out the door so fast, I would have to live there to get one. And, unfortunately for me, a new S&W 638, or a Taurus CIA is more than I can afford right now.
Old March 11, 2006, 09:44 PM   #5
Lou22

I hope nobody is tired of me offering my opinion on Charter, but here is my experience. I bought a new Undercover .38 last year from a dealer who was going out of business and selling his guns at cost. I got a stainless for $168 plus shipping. I'd heard that some Charters (particularly those made by Charco) were junk, and to stay away from them. For the price I thought I couldn't go wrong. This gun was a Charter 2000. I think I got a heck of a bargain. It has been dependable, easy to shoot and surprisingly accurate in single action (this one has a regular exposed hammer). I completely trust it to carry. It has only one problem: in double action the hammer tang blocks the sight groove. I think I will eventually have somebody grind the hammer tang down. It'll be better that way for CC anyhow.

I don't know about the latest reincarnation of Charter, bought by the company (I understand) that owns Hi-Point. My guess is that they are still a decent little gun. I've heard that Charter 2000's are basically OK, but will loosen up with a lot of heavy shooting over time. I'm not worried, as mine is for carry and occasional range practice. I've put about 300 rounds through it with no problems.

Lou

Last edited by Lou22; March 11, 2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old March 11, 2006, 10:11 PM   #6
support_six

When my father died in 2003, he had a few guns that passed to me. One was a Charter 2000 Undercover .38 Special. I have carried it as a concealed carry weapon, taken it to the range, and have generally had good luck with it. I have not tried to shoot +P ammo through it since the instruction booklet said not to. I usually shoot 110 g. Winchester Silvertips. I've probably shot about 500 rounds through it since obtaining it. It is as tight as ever, reasonably accurate if I do my part, and it's low price makes it an affordable weapon.

I think it cost him about $200 in 2000, probably full price since he was not much of a negotiator. It wouldn't be my first choice as an "all or nothing" carry gun but it has been acceptable as an occasional carry or truck gun.
Old March 11, 2006, 10:16 PM   #7
bedula32

Most cops are paid a lot better today as well than in the past. Some cops used to literally be on food stamps and welfare to get by. Just worth keeping some historical perspective when you start quoting what some cops said 30+ years ago. I am sure a lot of Wal-Mart employees would say Jennings are pretty good guns but what would they have ever compared it with (assuming there is a Wal-Mart employee who can scrounge together enough to get a Jennings that is).

Specifically as to Charter I do not know the current state of their quality. I would like to know as well but alas I am not willing to take the risk either until I know for sure they are of good quality. I don't want to be a test case. That is the catch-22.
Old March 11, 2006, 11:34 PM   #8
joneb

bedula got it, good compaired to what?
Old March 12, 2006, 12:50 AM   #9
joneb

check this out,

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203444
Old March 12, 2006, 01:20 AM   #10
Larry C.

Mine wasn't good

Carl418,

My .44 Bulldog gave me trouble. Had trouble getting the cylinder to turn! I was glad to sell it. Great idea, poor execution. Ruger are you listening?

Larry C.
Old March 13, 2006, 06:00 PM   #11
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Undercover "Off Duty"

Greeting's All-

I had one of these back in the 80's that was a very reliable, inexpensive
little handgun. No, it wasn't a Smith or a Colt; not even a Ruger, but it
ran flawlessly and for $129.95 you couldn't ask for much more. I have
always enjoyed the J-Smith's, and D-Colt's; but the old Charter Arms
Company manufactuered a quality product IMHO~!

Nowdays, they can't make up their mind whether or not they want to
stay in business~! So, I would probably avoid them at all
cost.
Old March 13, 2006, 11:52 PM   #12
TX_RGR

yes you CAN carl! Find yourself a good example of an 80's vintage bulldog and your worries are over. You can also find a used smith or whatver. Try www.gunbroker.com. Maybe instead of charging you rent, the local gun dealer can do the transfer for you!
Old March 14, 2006, 01:58 AM   #13
Jeffro250

I have a newer BullDog 44 special....ive got, oh, a good 3000+ fairly stout rounds through it and it still as tight as the day i bought it. The fit and finish isnt of the highest quality, but for the money, i think their a good buy.
Old March 14, 2006, 10:37 AM   #14
support_six

I forgot to mention earlier that I did have to take my father's charter 2000 Undercover .38 in to a gunsmith to have the timing checked and the barrel mouth beveled. It spit a little lead when fired. $40 later, problem solved.
Old March 14, 2006, 11:51 AM   #15
Edward429451

Quote:
Ruger are you listening?
\

Yeah, how bout a SP101 in 44 special?!
Old March 14, 2006, 11:58 AM   #16
gunsmith1

Charter

I'd buy one in a second at a good price. I have found them to be as reliable as anything. If you can get one for the right price I think you will like it.
Old March 14, 2006, 02:33 PM   #17
1tomcat

Have a charter 2000 2 inch 38 spec stainless and highly recommend this gun, it is accurate and reliable and handles +p like a champ.