The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 13, 2012, 05:08 PM   #51
Phil-USN

I usually shoot almost everything i have at the range, almost. I always make sure i have atleast one loaded magazine when i leave.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:36 PM   #52
thedudeabides

I always make sure I have 500-1000 rounds of ammo for every caliber handgun and rifle I own.

But I'm paranoid.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:09 PM   #53
dave9969

I'm over by Ft. Myers, kind of inland of their.
Gun show this weekend, the guy I buy from is North Georgia Reloaders.
He is the guy in the middle of the show with all the bullets!
Old September 13, 2012, 07:16 PM   #54
m&p45acp10+1

If I had ammo left why would I be going home?

When I am going home I have only my carry ammo left. If I am out of ammo at home that means I have to spend some more time on my reloading bench.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:49 PM   #55
Smit

I always assumed it was the duty of a responsible gun owner to never "fully" run out of ammo. I think the zombie/doomsday syndrome has a little part in that mindset......oh well.
Old September 13, 2012, 08:00 PM   #56
orionengnr

Since I started handloading, I only worry about running out of components.

And it will be a very cold day in a very warm place before that happens...
Old September 13, 2012, 08:13 PM   #57
SRH78

Quote:
If I had ammo left why would I be going home?
...because the range was closing.
Old September 14, 2012, 03:03 AM   #58
FloridaVeteran

Stevie - re primers from the 1990s, how do you store them? And do you ever have any problems with out-of-the box primers that are so old? I'm thinking relative to humidity. I put my spare boxes (except the big Federal boxes) in foodsaver bags, to keep 'em dry. But maybe that is overkill.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:52 AM   #59
Woody55

I guess I should remark on why my average on hand round count is so high (1,000 for what I shoot most). It isn't because of zombies, the breakdown of society or gun banning.

It's based on how fast I expend the rounds, how long it takes me to find a decent deal and get buy a resupply and how much I can afford to pay for a bulk shipment.

I have a single shot .243. The on hand average is 40 rounds. When I hit 20, I look for two boxes to buy. (I have the dies to reload, but I haven't transitioned to reloading yet).
Old September 14, 2012, 12:51 PM   #60
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionengnr View Post
Since I started handloading, I only worry about running out of components.

And it will be a very cold day in a very warm place before that happens...
Yeah it is a good feeling when you start dealing with figures in thousands and pounds instead of boxes
Old September 14, 2012, 02:09 PM   #61
Terry A

Quote:
Yeah it is a good feeling when you start dealing with figures in thousands and pounds instead of boxes

Yep! I have a dresser with the drawers filled with assorted calibers. I also have several thousand more rounds in metal ammo boxes in different closets.

It's taken me years to build up this amount of reserves.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old September 14, 2012, 03:29 PM   #62
45Gunner

My biggest fear in Vietnam was running out of ammo in the middle of a firefight. That fear has carried over to my civilian life. I carry a 1911 with 8 round magazines and always, always carry cocked and locked. I also have a two magazine pouch carrier on me.

For those times when I am lounging around the house and the dog needs to be walked, I throw my Glock 36 in a pocket holster and a spare magazine in the other pocket.

I have in excess of 25,000 rounds of ammo in my house at all times. Mostly .45 ACP, 5.56, .40 S&W, and .357 Magnum. I shoot in the neighborhood of 1200 - 1500 rounds per week and try to buy 2000 rounds per week. Some of my purchases are factory new and some are reloads, but rest assured I will never be caught without ammo.
NRA Life Member
Old September 14, 2012, 05:42 PM   #63
8MM Mauser

Yes, at the range, but I always have about 20 rounds of buckshot stowed in the nightstand. If I had to use a gun it would be my shotgun.

That said, if I wasn't an undergrad with a wife and kid (if I actually had money) I would have a lot LOT more and would probably reload.

I do try and have some ammo left on the drive home though.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:16 PM   #64
NC Cruffler

That would never happen.

Old September 15, 2012, 09:46 PM   #65
Patrice

"No, never done that! I've always kept a little reserve, sort of a "what if the Indians attack" syndrome, I reckon."

Hhmmm....In my family it was more of what if the soldiers-attack/wounded-knee syndrome. But I get the point.

If I were to actually own a firearm....I don't think I'd run out of ammunition.--Patrice
Old September 15, 2012, 10:34 PM   #66
FloridaVeteran

IMO, 45Gunner has it - most of my buddies have the same experience. One cannot eat rare meat, which I like, because he saw way too much of the horrendous kind. He and many others did LRPs, when running out of ammo was a constant fear. Being low on ammo will never trigger fear until a body has experienced it in the face of being killed because his rifle was empty.
Old September 16, 2012, 01:28 AM   #67
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice View Post
"No, never done that! I've always kept a little reserve, sort of a "what if the Indians attack" syndrome, I reckon."

Hhmmm....In my family it was more of what if the soldiers-attack/wounded-knee syndrome. But I get the point.

If I were to actually own a firearm....I don't think I'd run out of ammunition.--Patrice
Interesting that you post on a firearm related forum but do nit own a firearm. What's the story
Old September 16, 2012, 03:13 PM   #68
Chuckusaret

I believe a person should have a plan that includes a well supplied primary location and a well supplied bug out location in the event the SHTF. I have both well supplied with food/water/medical supplies and sufficient weapons and ammo to hold off a small army. I also don't believe a person can have too much ammo for each of his weapons based on our present White House leadership.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:55 PM   #69
Eagleks

Quote:
Did you go to the range and shoot everything up in all of the EXCITEMENT of shooting. And find out when you get home no ammo
Yep, and it took me ages to get that ammo again..... because it was not commonly sold around here and that was at a time of no internet, and local shops couldn't seem to get it. I think it was about 1 1/2 yrs before I finally found that particular ammo again. Getting any in .357 was hard to get at that time for some reason.

That's when I swore that would never happen again, and keep some spare ammo at all times.
Old September 16, 2012, 08:13 PM   #70
JC57

Not in the past 34 years or so. But back in my youth, if you ran out you just went to the sporting goods store, showed them your driver's license, filled out and signed a ledger book, and got another box.

So yes, I may have run out back then. Being armed at all times didn't seem to be that important to everyone like it is now. America must have been totally crime free in the 70s. Wasn't legal to carry anyway, unless you were a cop, and even they could only carry what was authorized by the department. Everything else was just hunting and target practice. No big deal to be out of ammo, just pick some up before your next hunting or range trip.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:37 PM   #71
pistoled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody55 View Post
I guess I should remark on why my average on hand round count is so high (1,000 for what I shoot most). It isn't because of zombies, the breakdown of society or gun banning.

It's based on how fast I expend the rounds, how long it takes me to find a decent deal and get buy a resupply and how much I can afford to pay for a bulk shipment.

I have a single shot .243. The on hand average is 40 rounds. When I hit 20, I look for two boxes to buy. (I have the dies to reload, but I haven't transitioned to reloading yet).

+1. Same here. See a sale, load up. I'll be down to a couple hundred rounds and then start watching for sales/free shipping. I never pay more than .15 per rd for 9mm or .25 per rd for .223.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:32 PM   #72
RsqVet

Only once when on the road... due to miscalculation let a range officer who wanted to try out my carry gun burn through what turned out to be my last magazine.

It's all fun to talk about the various places and plans one can have for what and where to get ammo till you have to go do it... find a store and either buy FMJ or a JHP you have no idea if your gun will like. Then find a store with your known ammo.

That was also the last time I shot recreationally with my carry gun while traveling. Too much of a pain in the back side while on the road.
Old September 19, 2012, 12:14 PM   #73
PT-92

Perish the thought--How dare you !
Old September 20, 2012, 03:44 PM   #74
rodfac

Yep...42 years ago in an L-19...after eight passes, I was winchester for 2.75" willie petes...that left the smoke grenades hanging from safety wire across the back of the seat...two add'l passes, marking with them and the ba$$$tard$ were getting entirely too close with their 'cone fire' tactics...fortunately the fight was pretty much in our favor by that time and I RTB'd with bingo plus 15 minutes FOB...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 20, 2012, 04:11 PM   #75
Brian48

No. Never.