The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 17, 2002, 03:23 AM   #1
1911greg

anyone know about colt .25 pocket pistols (clone Martian commercial) needs parts

It looks like this, http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976289274.htm

except the safety is in the center of the frame, does anyone have any idea if the colts are striker fired and does anyone know of any websites where I can find what the internals look like?

Long story shot its was my great grandfathers currently my dads and My dumb ass broke the firing pin and am trying to fix it but it looks like finding parts for a Martian will be impossible so I am trying to find out if the parts interchange with a colt.

are there any sites that specialize in parts for the colt pocket pistols?

thanks alot any help would be appreciated.
Old November 17, 2002, 03:48 AM   #2
BEARMAN

I believe the Colt .25 with the safety in the middle of the frame just behind the trigger is the same as the Astra Cub in .25 ACP ,some kind of early contracting out. A good website for assembly and disassembly info is [ www.marstar.ca/index.htm ] . It does have the Colt broken down there.
Old November 17, 2002, 09:46 AM   #3
Old Fuff

Before this goes too far you need to determine exactly what you have.

The Colt model 1908 is striker fired. It has a grip safety and a manual safety that is mounted on the left side at the rear of the frame (not in the center). Colt manufactured it in the United States between 1908 to 1946. While it looks like the larger .32 and .380 Colt Pocket Model(s) the internal parts are not the same, because the design is entirely different.

During the late 1960’s they imported a gun from Spain from Star and sold it under the Colt brand in .22 Short and .25 ACP. After the 1968 GCA was passed they could no longer import it so the moved the tooling to the U.S. and continued to make the gun here. This pistol was called the “Cub,” and had an exposed hammer you could cock with your thumb and a manual safety in the center of the frame just in front of the left grip panel. It obviously is not striker fired.

There are numerous copies of the Colt model 1908 that were made in Europe. These may have the safety located almost anywhere. They should not be marked “Colt” and should have proof marks on the barrel, and probably slide and frame.

If possible, post a picture of your gun. If not, read the above and see if it helps to positively identify it.

After that I think we can help you with parts.
Old November 17, 2002, 10:15 AM   #4
Old Fuff

O.K., I think we may be getting somewhere. Between 1919 to about 1928 Martin A. Bascaran, a company in Spain made a .25 pistol called the “Martian Commercial.” It roughly copied the Browning model 1906, which other then the grips was identical to the Colt model 1908. The “Martian Commercial is similar to your description and has the safety in the middle of the frame. The grips should have the stylized letters “MAB” on them as well as the words, “Martian Commercial.” This pistol is apparently striker fired.

To tell, swing the safety forward and use it to lock the slide about ½ way to the rear. Then turn the barrel to unlock it. After that release the slide and ease it forward and off. Be careful because it is under spring tension. At this point turn the slide upside down and you can push the firing pin, spring and spring follower (if there is one) out the back of the slide.

I can see two possibilities - get a new firing pin, or repair the one in the gun. Keep and save any broken parts you find.

Bascaran also made a different .25 pistol that had an odd squared shaped barrel. However I don’t think this is what you have. This gun has the word “Martian” on the grips.
Old November 17, 2002, 10:16 AM   #5
John Lawson

If the firing pin tip of the striker broke off, it can be easily repaired by most gun shops having a lathe, by replacing it with a piece of drill rod, drilling the body with the proper sized drill and silver brazing the new tip in place before sizing and shaping it.
If you broke it in another place, you will have to find a replacement.
Old November 17, 2002, 10:59 AM   #6
johnwill

From what you're saying, it seems that it's a clone of the Colt Junior, and I'm pretty sure parts are around for them. As mentioned previously, the Colt 1908 and the FN 1906 are pretty much identical guns, at least mine are.

This is what the Colt Junior or Astra CUB looks like.

Astra CUB

And this is a Colt 1908.

Colt 1908

Finally, here's the FN 1906.

FN Browning 1906
Old November 17, 2002, 12:14 PM   #7
1911greg

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

You guys are all over this one,
Old Fuff described my gun to a T (has MAB on grips, the barrel that twists out) it looks alot like the colt 1908 but without the grip safety, and the safety is in the center of the slide. I looked at a diagram of the 1908 and the firing pin looks very similar to the one on my martian.

so any ideas of sites that sell firing pins for the Colt or the browning?

thanks alot for all the help you guys really know your stuff!
Old November 17, 2002, 02:43 PM   #8
BEARMAN

A site with a large number of exploded firearm drawing is [www.mek-schuetzen.de/Sites/Explosion.htm ]
Old November 17, 2002, 04:37 PM   #9
Old Fuff

Now that we have identified your gun the next step is to find a new firing pin. While your gun is a copy of the Browning 1906/Colt 1908 .25 caliber pistols (both are for our purposes the same) the Martian “Commercial” is not an exact copy so I am not sure the firing pin is the same. Either of the firms listed at the end of this post has replacement firing pins for the Colt and Browning. However you should first see if they might have a part for the Martian - not too likely, but they might. If not, inquire if they know of a substitute. From past experience they might. If not, then take a chance and order a firing pin for the Colt and hope that it works, or can be made to work. Your other alternative is to follow the advice in a previous post and see if a gunsmith can rebuild the original firing pin. Somewhere in all of this you’ll get the job done. Best of luck.

Numrich Parts Corp.
226 Williams Lane PO Box 299
West Hurley, NY. 12491
http://www.e-gunparts.com

SARCO Inc.
323 Union St.; PO Box 98
Stirling, HJ. 07980
http://www.sarcoinc.com
Old November 17, 2002, 10:13 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you can't find parts for the Colt, the strikers for the Browning 1910 and 1922 are the same. You need to check the fit carefully, though. Those strikers were made with a long thin front end because they also act as the ejector, but not all Spanish copies were made that way. (Most used hammers, but yours is an obvious exception.)

So if the striker is too long, don't cut it until you know what it needs to do. On the other hand if it is too long and doesn't need to be, the gun can fire as it closes and go full auto on you.

Frankly, that gun is not worth the trouble. They sell (when anyone will buy) at around $25 or so. They are made of cast iron and are not at all strong or durable. I recommend relegating it to the family heirloom department.

Jim
Old November 18, 2002, 12:19 AM   #11
1911greg

Ouch jim that hurts making fun of my 25 dollar family treasure!

for 25 i wish i could just buy another for parts but in CA we have all these safety tests and saturday night special laws.

It has a external ejector so I don't think this model uses the striker to eject it.

any ideas where to find the parts I sent out a few emails to the parts companies but anymore reccomendations could be helpful.

thanks
Old November 18, 2002, 10:39 AM   #12
Old Fuff

I think you may be looking at the "extractor" rather then the "ejector." The extractor is the little hook-like part on the right side of the slide behind the ejection port that pulls the cartridge or fired case out of the barrel. The ejector is the part (or firing pin nose) that throws the cartridge or fired case out of the pistol after the extractor has pulled it out of the chamber.
Old November 18, 2002, 11:36 PM   #13
1911greg

Oh I just saw E and thought it was the extractor I should know better!
Old September 18, 2005, 07:00 PM   #14
mvpco

Ruby Pistol ID help needed please

I need help in to ID this Ruby Pistol please

32 Cal,
center mounted grips

Link: http://p205.ezboard.com/fsteyrmannli...icID=103.topic

I need grips and magazine also please

Jeff Smith
Pensacola, FL
850-475-5030
Old March 7, 2006, 03:26 PM   #15
LuckyEi8ht

need help identifying a FN Browning .25 cal

I just inherited a .25 cal pistol from my grandfather. It does not have a latch to lock the slide back. The left side of the slide reads:

Fabrique Nationale D’Armes de Guerre Herstal Belgique

Browning’s Patent – Depose

Also, worth mentioning is that “Baby” does not appear on the grips.

Thanks,
~Lucky
Old March 7, 2006, 11:53 PM   #16
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just to clear up confusion. The old .25 caliber FN Browning Model 1906 is NOT the "Baby" Browning. The Model 1906 and the Colt Model 1908 are nearly identical. Some people call the Model 1906 the "Baby" Browning, but that is incorrect and FN did not call it that.

The true "Baby Browning" originally came out in 1931 but was not imported into the U.S. until 1954. Importation stopped in 1968 due to the restrictions imposed by the Gun Control Act of that year. While also striker fired, it is an entirely different gun.

Jim
Old July 20, 2010, 06:44 PM   #17
rlee5349

Martian/ Colt 1908 grips?

Old Fuff, You said the Colt 1908 and the Martian Commercial are similar except for the grips? What do you mean by this? How different are they, because I have a chance to pick up a pair of mother of pearl grips for the Martian Commercial, and I was hoping to fit them to my Colt 1908, if possible. Think they could be made to work? Thanks.
Old July 20, 2010, 10:55 PM   #18
RJay

It really would be better to start a new post rather than pull up one that is 8 years old. The visual difference in the grips? One is imprinted with MAB, the Colt's aren't. Are these two guns clones, I doubt it very seriously, they may be similar but not identical, any parts exchange will have to be fitted, including the grips. You might get lucky and the grips will interchange, only one way to find out, buy them and see.
Old July 21, 2010, 04:44 PM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just FWIW and to extend the world's oldest thread. I don't want to generate more confusion, but I will add that almost all the Spanish "copies" of the 1906 Browning, as well as the "Ruby" pistols, are hammer fired, not striker fired, and have safety catches that block the trigger, not the sear as in the .25 Colt M1908 and the late M1906 Browning. (The early FN Browning had no manual safety.) Thus, the resemblance to the Colt and Browning is mainly external.

Jim
Old September 12, 2010, 03:02 PM   #20
rlee5349

Beating a dead horse

Thanks guys! Maybe this is a record for the world's oldest thread! I didn't even realize the age. I was just google searching for info on the Martian Commercial and this is what came up. Maybe I'll go ahead and buy those pearls. They look identical to the round-top 1908 grips and the backs are flat, so I can just fit them with some pins or build them up with dental acrylic to make them work for my 1908. Save myself alot of money!