The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 25, 2009, 08:39 AM   #1
doctori

What type of revolver is this?

My father was a WWII vet that served in the Navy. I inherited his old 6 shot revolver. I took it to a gunsmith and asked him if he could tell me it's background or its worth and shootability. He was not helpful at all. His suggestion was to cut it up and throw it away. It has been in my family for a very long time. The only problem that I can see is that the cylinder does not lock correctly each time the trigger is pulled.

Any help would be helpful. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg revolver 001.JPG (227.1 KB, 202 views)
Old May 25, 2009, 08:42 AM   #2
doctori

update

I forgot to mention that it is a.38spl and has 'Made in Spain' on the barrel
Old May 25, 2009, 08:47 AM   #3
hexidismal

Are there any other markings on the gun besides the rollmark on the frame near the barrel ? Can you make out clearly what that rollmark says ? In the pic it looks like is says "made is spain" .. but maybe that's not what it says at all...
Old May 25, 2009, 09:11 AM   #4
doctori

Other Markings

I checked the entire gun over and there is no other markings other than a serial number on the bottom of the frame handel.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Tom2

Pre WW2 Spain did produce a few revolvers that had a good reputation. That apparently is not one of them. If the maker had any sort of reputation, it would be branded. I myself would not try to fix or fire it, either. Has no colletor value whatsoever and the only way it would have any value is if it were associated with some notable person or event. Sorry. Well it is an heirloom, those may only have value to the recipients but that is enough I suppose.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:26 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, there is no connection between that revolver and your father's naval service. It is a Spanish revolver, of the kind imported into the U.S. in the 1920's and 1930's, and sold for a couple of dollars. They were made of cheap cast iron and I have seen several blown up.

As an heirloom, it has some sentimental value, but the dollar value is minimal and the gun is not worth spending time or money on even if parts could be obtained and anyone found willing to work on it. Most gunsmiths will not work on those guns for the simple reason that if a gunsmith fixes it so it works, then it blows up and someone is injured, the gunsmith could be liable.

I suggest you deactivate it by grinding off the firing pin, then hang it on the wall.

Jim
Old May 25, 2009, 05:27 PM   #7
PetahW

[His suggestion was to cut it up and throw it away.]

+1, but, barring that, (since it's been in your family so long) I would have it molded into the center of a block of clear acrylic, thereby making a conversation piece out out a hand grenade.

Old May 25, 2009, 07:01 PM   #8
doctori

Thanks

Thanks for all of the help. I am glad that I asked this question before trying to fire this gun. I do like having all 5 digits on each hand
Old May 25, 2009, 07:16 PM   #9
goodspeed(TPF)

Quote:
I would have it molded into the center of a block of clear acrylic
That's a neat idea.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old May 27, 2009, 11:52 AM   #10
Chris_B

Quote:
I would have it molded into the center of a block of clear acrylic
My first thought on reading 'cut it up' as well