The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 23, 2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Ricklin

Well whadaya think guys and gals

I'm thinkin of pulling the trigger on one more rifle this year, and the K98 Mauser has piqued my collector interest. This one looks almost too good to be true these days.
http://www.southernohiogun.com/surrifle.htm

I'm sure another will come up but I'm kinda focused on this one right now.

Your opinions are wanted and welcomed.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Chipperman

K98s are great guns.
I've been very happy with what I've gotten from SOG.

With both of those things said, be aware of what you are getting:
1. These will be non-matching rifles
2. They will be Russian Captures
3. They will be import marked
4. They will be missing front site hoods, cleaning rod, sling, and capture screws

I think they are good rifles for a good price. They will never be true collector K98s though. If you want a rifle that will have more collector value in years to come, you are better off getting a Finn M39.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:53 AM   #3
kraigwy

I think that:

There are tons of cheap 98 actions out there. Reasonable price Mauser Stocks & Barrel Blanks. I'm gonna stock up, and build some rifles.

Years ago I did that with Win M-70 Actions. Got a deal picking up 8 actions for $225. They made some pretty good shooters. I think with a little TLC you could do the same thing with the 98s.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 24, 2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Tom2

The Finns are certainly collectable. The nice ones that came in imported awhile back are selling for alot more, like Swede Mausers do now. If you want to just blast away for fun at the range, any old safe to shoot 98 variation will do and give you that nice purple mark on your shoulder the next day. If you want to really invest in something, get a all matching vet bringback Mauser K98. They are expensive now. Not too long ago you could be buying really nice bringbacks for 3-400 but you will pay alot more than that now. Still, authentic examples will go up in value. There is more demand than supply. Bite the bullet and spend more for a really nice one. You can still shoot it. They don't break easily and you can get plenty of non corrosive commercial ammo or load it. Not like a collectable Luger wherein you might break some little part and have to worry about that. The common imports are cheap and will stay that way for a long time.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Ricklin

Thanks

Thanks a lot gang, I think I will continue searching, for a nicer collectible. Not looking for a shooter, I want an investment rifle. I think nazi marked items are a good bet for future appreciation.
Heck the CZ pistols I just bought a few weeks ago have gone up in price 10% or so. And those are just shooters.
Take care and merry christmas everybody.