The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Ammo Junky

Fawn age?

I saw a nice doe saterday. She has two small looking fawns with her. How late do they drop fawns and how old do the fawns need to be to not need the doe anymore? It was a nice doe, but I dont want to leave the fanws without the doe if its too early. I dont bow hunt and have two weeks to fierarm season so I didnt miss a shot, but I hope to see this or another nice peice of jerky in a couple of weeks.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old November 6, 2006, 07:15 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

I think they can have them as late as June or July. Yeah, in that situation, leave the doe alive. The solution, if you really want meat, is to shoot one of the fawns. Then the remaining fawn has a protector, and the a proven breeding doe is left alive to breed again. Your buddies may laugh at you, but it's good eatin....
Old November 6, 2006, 09:12 PM   #3
Pointer

Yes... +1
FirstFreddom is right...

Now, I'm gonna go urinate through my Clooney...

30-06 FOREVER
Old November 7, 2006, 08:38 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Generally, when the spots are completely gone, the fawns are weaned. They hang around mama because that's the way they're imprinted, but they're self-sufficient about food. Overall, though, it's best to wait for a doe who's solo, no fawns at all; the proverbial "barren doe".

Art
Old November 18, 2006, 10:13 AM   #5
sparkysteve

We always shoot does in late gun season with fawns. That's how you pick the biggest one. I saw a few lone fawns last week. Fawns are dropped in the spring and just kind of hang around mom. Deer tend to live in groups, not just because they need mom. The more eyes and ears you have looking out the better. I saw a group of 3 does and 5 fawns on Thurs. I shoot the big ones, they eat better. If you want to shoot a 6 mo. old deer, that's your choice. Just don't shoot a button-buck, that's next years buck. Mature does have more of a square body shape, a longer neck, and a longer face.

We call fawns sandwich deer, because after you shoot one you can put it between 2 slices of bread and have a sandwich. Or suitcase deer, because you can grab all 4 legs and carry it out of the woods like a suitcase.

Dont tread on me.
Old November 20, 2006, 09:07 AM   #6
Delynn

The does drop fawns at different times for different areas. The farther North the earlier they drop(the earlier the rut). Here in Florida the last week August, first week in September is the normal(Rut Jan 15 or later.) That is if they got breed the first main rut. The fawns do not travel with the does the first few weeks until they are a little bigger. New born fawns have little scent and that is their defense. Most of the does shot here in early bow season have fawns bedded somewhere. That is the sad truth. The does comes by with no fawn and get shot only to find here full of milk. A couple of weeks into the season the fawns will be with the does. The last two years I have seen fawns with does that could not have been more than two weeks old. Covered in spots and weigh less than ten pounds. They were pretty. Our bow season starts way to early here but then again Florida has NEVER had any deer management. Hope this helps