The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2014, 05:05 AM   #1
clinck

Bullet tumble

I cast my own 9mm lead bullets unsized with a lee 6 cavity mould which have been successfule in my CZ75 B.
They are about 130 grain and run at about 1000 ft per second.

I just got the CZ75 SP01 Shadow and the same bullet same load tumbles in this gun but works pefectly in my CZ75 B.

Any ideas where I should start first in eliminating the problem.
Would sizing the lead bullets help?
Old July 22, 2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Rottweiler

Is that the "tumble lube" design bullet? I had the same issue, Tried sizing them and still had the issue. Tried them in a friend's gun same tumbling issue in his. Never could get those bullets to fly right. Sold the mold and went to a traditional design bullet.
Old July 23, 2014, 01:34 AM   #3
clinck

Bullet tumble

No the mold is traditional 9mm round nose. I have never tried the tumble lube bullets.
Old July 23, 2014, 11:11 PM   #4
skizzums

i get lead in the last inch of my cz 9x19 barrel when using alox, try pouring at a cooler temp to keep your bullets from cooling to a smaller diameter

lots of us are going to the tumble PC method, it eliminates all of these concerns and then some, i high recommend it, especially in a fast bullet like the 9x19, 45$ to get started and no leading or smoke, itll change yo life!!!!!!!!
Old July 24, 2014, 02:00 PM   #5
mikld

I would think the first thing to do is measure. Measure the diameter of the bullets you're shooting. Measure the groove diameter of your gun's barrel (slugging is easiest). Make sure the bullets are larger than the groove diameter (.001"-.002" to start)...
Old July 24, 2014, 09:05 PM   #6
clinck

moulded bullets

Yeah you make a good point. I checked the barrel of the cz75b and the shadow. The shadow definitely has a tighter barrel. So I went and splashed out the money on the lee lubasizer kit and the heads definitely got sized down.and they now go further into the shadows barrel. So I can now make the overall length 29mm as opposed to 28mm. So tomorrow off to the range to check if they shoot straight.

Xxxxxx
Keep it real. People kill people not guns