The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 2, 2013, 08:49 PM   #1
basilisk4

Colt Government Pocketlite

My father gave me one of these wonderful guns as a gift a few years back. I kept it in the car for a couple years before retiring it to the safe.

Any idea what one of these things is worth these days? I see a lot of Mustang Pocketlites on Gunbroker and such, but rarely see a Government Pocketlite.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:04 PM   #2
lamarw

You do not mention finish or condition. Both are important particularly condition. You could be looking at anywhere from $250.00 (60%) up to $600.00 (100%) and thirty bucks more if nickel/stainless finish. I am referring to the 32nd edition Blue book of Gun Values.

Hope this helps.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:08 PM   #3
basilisk4

Thanks for the reply. It's blued (not stainless) and while I am no expert on evaluating condition, I'd guess it's about 80% condition.

But I'm also trying to figure out how rare this gun is. I know it's only about 15 years old, but I understand it only had a two (?) year run before Colt discontinued the model. It's a great little shooter so I hate to keep it in the safe, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth doing so.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:50 PM   #4
michael t

USE IT IT WAS MADE TO BE CARRIED AN SHOT . Not keep locked in a safe

I have 2 Mustangs there carried and used 1 blue and other nickle .
Old March 3, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5
basilisk4

I love the thing, but if I have a near collector's item on my hands, which is what I was advised a few years ago, I don't want to muck it up.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Winchester_73

Quote:
I love the thing, but if I have a near collector's item on my hands, which is what I was advised a few years ago, I don't want to muck it up.
I agree with this 100%. Sometimes its important to think past the old "these guns are made for shootin" because sometimes, its better financially to do something different. For example, in this situation, selling this gun to someone else, due to its condition, and buying something else for carry would probably be wise. When you make smarter moves in the context of money and guns, in the long run, you get to own far more guns. Using this gun for carry, and devaluing it by wearing the finish is not a great idea due to the value of the piece as is.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Sharpsdressed Man

Well, it might be of more collectors' interest if it was 95-100% condition, but 80% guns don't draw a lot of money unless they are extremely rare. Something made 70--140 years ago (Colt Single Actions, Lugers, etc) will bring good money @80%, but newer, modern production guns have less people collecting them, and prices/values vary, due to mixed demand. I have a Mustang Pocketlite, so I know of the Pocketlite Government, but would hesitate to place a top value on it for the above reasons. I'm, going to guess you could find a buyer for between $450 and $650, but to go too far above retail for similar .380's on the market (SIG, and the new Colt Mustang) would be risky, especially since your gun has noticeable wear.