The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 22, 2011, 12:22 PM   #1
samefly

Your Range Bag?

Which bag do you use at the range and what do you carry in it (other than your firearm)? Got any pictures?

I actually own a Bailout Bag but because of were I live I decided to go with a bag that was a bit more discreet (didn't yell "hey look I have a gun in here") . I ended up using a very "non gun" looking marmot messenger bag (not a military style one either). This thing holds a TON of stuff: pistol, ammo, hearing protection, eye protection, gloves, flash light, cleaning kit, notepad & pencils, water bottle, snacks, etc. with room to spare. I'm also planning to add a first aid kit to it. I have kept my bailout bag, which is a great bag, but now use it as a home defense bag.
Old December 22, 2011, 12:58 PM   #2
KenL

My range bag is a heavy canvas duffel bag with reinforced corners, handle straps going all the way around, etc. Currently it has several hundred rounds of .40 in it, and it holds my pistols, ear muffs and any range tools and oils and cleaning products I choose to bring. It just looks like a duffel, so it doesn't scream "gun" either.
Old December 22, 2011, 01:14 PM   #3
compglock17

I use a 5.11 range bag. Im sure you’ve all seen them. It ha a removable inner bag with 3 dividers for ammo or whatever and sleeves for guns. I can keep several thousand rounds (loose) in the inner bag. It has several pockets on the outer bag for other gear. I keep small targets, ton of mags, a first aid kit, eyes/ears and spares for each, pens, markers, ect, ect. Bottom line, a TON of space. Down fall... it SCREAMS "gun bag". But it works great for me, whether its competition, instructing or just taking the kid to the range, it does it all!
Old December 22, 2011, 01:28 PM   #4
spacecoast

Like many others I'm sure, I use the Midway competition range bag and have been very happy with it. It has a lot of pockets, a brass bag and a separate strongly built ammo bag, and if the bag gets too heavy you just carry the ammo bag separately. They even sent me a new carry strap on the chance the old one was defective (recall action).

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...tion-range-bag

Old December 22, 2011, 01:48 PM   #5
samefly

what do you all think of using a deposit bag for carrying loose ammo in your range bag?
Old December 22, 2011, 01:58 PM   #6
compglock17

Quote:
what do you all think of using a deposit bag for carrying loose ammo in your range bag?
Sure! If it works for you, do it!
Old December 22, 2011, 01:59 PM   #7
spacecoast

Quote:
I can keep several thousand rounds (loose) in the inner bag
Compglock -

Are you sure you don't mean several hundred rounds? Or are you talking .22s? Just 2000 rounds of 115 gr. 9mm weigh well over 30 pounds alone.
Old December 22, 2011, 02:18 PM   #8
compglock17

Quote:
Are you sure you don't mean several hundred rounds?
LOL! Yep! Meant several HUNDRED! Guess that was just wishful thinking on my part!
Old December 22, 2011, 03:55 PM   #9
shootniron

I have the same bag pictured in the post by spacecoast. It seems to serve our purpose very well and it is less than 50 bucks.
Old December 22, 2011, 04:54 PM   #10
sigcurious

I use a maxpedition messenger bag. Still need to order a few more pouches/pockets for it, but I like that it can be tailored directly to my needs. non-shooting/outdoor stuff I keep in it, First Aid kit, some paracord, a wire saw, a pocket knife, penlight, a fire starter, and emergency blanket.

Unless someone specifically knows that maxpedition makes firearm oriented products, its pretty discreet to the outside observer.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:34 PM   #11
ZEBRARANGER

I've used several different bags over the years and settled on a bag thats not even designed for guns. Its a large heavy duty tool bag made by CLC leather Craft. Holds up to 12 to 14 boxes of ammo in the floor of the bag and six handguns in their soft zip cases in the center compartment. The outside zippered compartment holds a few gunsmithing tools, extra mags, speed loaders and such. The other holds a few basic cleaning supplies, targets and other accessories. End pockets holds two pair of shooting glasses and hearing protectors, the other end pocket, more mags. The bag is pretty large and fully loaded the shoulder strap is needed. I've been using it for about three years now.

Last edited by ZEBRARANGER; December 22, 2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old December 22, 2011, 09:20 PM   #12
4runnerman

I use a regular size duffel bag kinda. I find i can get almost everything in it.
It has wheels and a handle. I can get the Chrono,stand,loaded rounds,Targets,Range books,ect ect in it. Now i can unload in 3 trips back to the truck.
Old December 22, 2011, 09:31 PM   #13
armoredman

Works great for me.
Old December 24, 2011, 11:43 AM   #14
parker

Midway competition range bag best bag for the money.
Old December 24, 2011, 11:59 AM   #15
rtpzwms

I have a Allen bag now but with pistols it's just too small. I've been looking at this to supplement by current bag.
Old December 24, 2011, 06:23 PM   #16
Fargazer

I use a wheeled duffel bag for the pistols (wife and I bring a variety to shoot), and hang a Bagmaster large range bag off of the retractable handle for eyes, ears, first aid items, and so on. A separate plastic toolbox brings the ammo.
Old December 24, 2011, 07:18 PM   #17
Ridge_Runner_5

Used to have a pretty decent camera bag I used as a range bag. Was a lot better built than I would have imaged. Held guns and earpro and cleaning kits and hundreds of rounds of .223 and .22 without any trouble.

Now I use an LAPoliceGear.com Bailout Bag.
Old December 24, 2011, 08:55 PM   #18
Young.Gun.612

For my birthday two years ago my friend bought me an Eddie Bauer diaper bag for use as a range bag. It works surprisingly well. Has a padded nylon changing pad that I use to keep my pistol on when I clean it. Discreet and works perfectly.
Old December 24, 2011, 10:38 PM   #19
RubenX

I have a small cooler, padded, design to keep a six pack cold. I can barely fit the ear muffs, the glasses and about 40 rounds of 30-06. Hopefully, I'll find a proper range bag tomorrow under the tree (I've been doing lots of tactical whining about it, hope she got the hints).
Old December 25, 2011, 12:13 AM   #20
Shotgun693

I use a little red wagon. I couldn't nearly carry all my guns and crap in a bag.
Old December 25, 2011, 12:31 AM   #21
bbqbob51

Another thumbs up to the Midway Range bag. Got my for $39+shipping and handling. That sucker can hold a lot of stuff! Lots of extra features with pockets for magazines, etc. You want to put everything into it to the point of it being too heavy.
Old December 26, 2011, 02:34 AM   #22
ccSnoopycc

I have a VOODOO Tactical "scorpion range bag" and love it. I would def recommend it.
Old December 26, 2011, 10:41 AM   #23
Don P

I use a I-Shot bag for daily range trips and for Competition matches I use a wagon with a hard cooler in it and a 2 1/2 gallon water jug on the back of the wagon. All the shootin needs are in the cooler, water in the jug and I can sit on the cooler. So I have water, shootin needs, a place to sit , and its all on wheels.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 14, 2012, 09:19 AM   #24
CDR_Glock

This is what I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi39r...tePSKpzfMfg%3D

It has two separate compartments for a pair of pistols. I really like it.
Old April 14, 2012, 10:17 PM   #25
tazbigdog

I like Eagle.

Here is their website: http://www.eagleindustries.com

Natchez has three of my bags:

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...a-II Bag Black

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...le Style Black

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...’s Bag Black

I've tried many other bags and the stitching falls apart, the zippers break or the straps cannot hold the weight. Blackhawk bags came a close second, but I like Eagle the best.

Jeff