The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2009, 08:25 AM   #1
iblong

45 200swc vs 230 lrn

Ive been loading 230 gr lrn in 45acp and have just started loading 200gr lswc's
Using the same powder and load the 200 is shooting low about 2",very nice groups but low.Im asumming its do to the lighter bullet exiting the barrel faster than the heavier bullet.So in theory if I drop the velocity I should raise the poi.This in a fixed sight 5" 1911. does this seam the right direction to go.
Im new to loading 45 acp,so any imput is welcome.
Thanks,Bob.
Old June 1, 2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Sky Master

A faster bullet would shoot higher not lower. Try throwing a rock at different speeds and you'll see. You need to increase the charge maybe .2 grains at a time without exceeding the max, watch for pressure signs. You may also consider having the fixed sight replaced with an adjustable one. I had this done on my Colt Commander in 9 mm 30 yrs ago. MMC is the sight I had put on, don't know if their still in business.
Old June 2, 2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Pocketfisherman

While that is true ballisticly from a fixed mounted barrel, it is not true for a hand held pistol. As soon as the charge fires, the pistol starts recoiling and the muzzle moves up. A faster round is going to exit the muzzle with a lower line of trajectory than a slower round which stays in the barrel longer and allows for more muzzle climb.
Old June 2, 2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Sky Master

iblong, I never thought of that, you just might be right.
I'd still look into putting on a adjustable sight. It would take care of different weights of bullets and charges.
That's why I did it.
Old June 2, 2009, 09:10 PM   #5
aerod1

[QUOTE][/QWhile that is true ballisticly from a fixed mounted barrel, it is not true for a hand held pistol. As soon as the charge fires, the pistol starts recoiling and the muzzle moves up. A faster round is going to exit the muzzle with a lower line of trajectory than a slower round which stays in the barrel longer and allows for more muzzle climb.UOTE]

This is what I have found also.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old June 3, 2009, 06:17 AM   #6
iblong

Thanks guys just wanted to bounce the idea off a few other shooters,Ive made up a few different loads and hope to test this tonight in my back yard range.
Bob.
Old June 3, 2009, 07:08 AM   #7
Slamfire

Raising or lowering charges might bring back the point of aim, but it is not guaranteed. You just have to experiment. In my experience bullet weight changes bring much greater point of impact changes than powder changes in the 45 ACP.

I am only buying 230 LRN now days, they shoot fine, but mostly because they feed so well.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Sport45

Quote:
Using the same powder and load the 200 is shooting low about 2",very nice groups but low.
2" low at what range??

The answer could be as simple as using a 6 o'clock hold with the 230's and a center hold with the 200 gr bullets. Or just apply "Kentucky windage" when shooting the different bullets.

A few file strokes across the top of the front sight will bring the impact point up if you're looking for a permanent solution.

Last edited by Sport45; June 3, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:25 AM   #9
iblong

2" low at 10yds,Thats a good thought but I have strieght 8 sites and use a center hold with a 230 rn.
Bob.
Old June 4, 2009, 05:54 AM   #10
iblong

Well I had the chance to test some loads last night and I lucked out.
I wound up with a load that was .5 grains less than the 230 gr. load.
I also droped the spring weight 2lbs.functioned beautiffuly.and had repeatable 1 ragged hole at 10 yds. slow fire off hand,I just have to remember to change out the spring when shooting the 230's.
Love the nice holes left by semi wad cutters.
Bob