The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2008, 09:19 PM   #1
shepheard

What primers

I plan on using CCI primers for everything for the sake of just being easier for my purchasing. I realize that it's ok to switch brands of primers as long as they are the same type. I see that Winchester and Remington don't make a large pistol mag primer just a large pistol. How do I which cci to use if the load data just states large pistol in win or rem. Do I go by the powder type to know if I should use a mag or standard. Confused and need help.Thax much for any input
Old June 17, 2008, 09:30 PM   #2
doug66

If your manual doesn't specify magnum primers then use standard. I try to use only CCI, unless shop is out of them. Winchester my 2nd choice. Are you loading rifle and pistol? Loading data will state type of primer.
Old June 17, 2008, 09:42 PM   #3
shepheard

I will be loading 44 for a desert eagle soon. The load data I scanned over will state large pistol in win or rem. If I am using CCI would I use a lg mag or standard. I guess I could just use win primers for 44 since that will be the only gun I will be using a lg primer with.
Old June 18, 2008, 02:56 AM   #4
Sidetracked

The reloading manuals are stating which primer THEY used. You don't absolutely have to follow their primer usage.

Substituting a CCI Standard Large Pistol primer for a Win or Rem will be just fine, as long as you work the load up from minimum. (Like any other load)
Old June 18, 2008, 09:27 AM   #5
doug66

re: what primers

The only time I use mag. primers in .44 mag. loads is if using H110 or W296 powders.
Old June 18, 2008, 09:41 AM   #6
geocole

Last time I bought large pistol primers they were Winchester.
On the box they say---Large pistol for Standard or Magnum pistol loads
Old June 18, 2008, 02:16 PM   #7
BigJimP

I use CCI large pistol primers for .44 mag / the reloading manual I happen to have here at my desk says to use Remington 2 1/2 primer ( which is a large pistol primer ) not a magnum primer.

Its a little confusing but you don't need to use Magnum primers for a .44 Mag load ( except with certain powders). Personally with a 240gr bullet JHP bullet I like about 9.2 grains of Hodgdon TiteGroup in my reloads.
Old June 18, 2008, 08:45 PM   #8
shepheard

Thanks for the great info guys. I have heard from some sources that 296 and 110 do need a mag primer and 2400 wouldn't. That will probably be my powder of choice. Thanks again I really apreciate the info.
Old June 18, 2008, 11:11 PM   #9
Shoney

shepheard: May I say Welcome to the forum, in case no one else has.

The info above is very good. However, I wish to clarify another issue. Quite a few of the newer reloaders have been posting that they selected a certain load (usually mid range to upper range), assembled several of them and up to a box of cartridges, then gone to the range and tried them. Some have experienced problems with over pressure loads by doing this. Please be safe.

Please follow the suggested "working up a load" method of selecting the starting load, loading 5 for rifle and up to 10 of them for pistol, keeping them well identified and seperate from other loads; then loading another 5 to 10 cartridges with 0.5 grain increment for rifle, and usually a 0.3 grain increment for pistol; keep increasing the load until you get to the max load, never over max.

At the range you should be shooting each seperate load at well marked targets that identify the load shot and that load only. Watch for pressure signs with each shot as you go. You can then sit down and see trends to and away from accuracy. Then go home and load accordingly or for more testing.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111