The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 19, 2015, 12:35 PM   #1
cjacobs

Help Building 1st AR-15

Hello all, I am building my 1st AR-15. I am new to this, so please take it easy on me if I sound a little ignorant to the terminology and overall knowledge of this process. FYI, I am building this rifle for hog hunting and playing at the range. I main needs are accuracy, smooth trigger, and I want the thing to look badass! I also want to build a quality rifle the first time rather than buying crap and then having to build something better later. I would like to stay under $800 for the total build (minus the scope). So I'm looking opinions on receivers, kits, etc. I think I need to start with the lower receiver first. So, what is the best lower receiver to purchase?
Old February 19, 2015, 12:51 PM   #2
rickyrick

Anderson lowers are good
Aero precision

Both are low costs and can't tell the difference from other lowers
Unless you're looking for a cool roll mark.

If you can find a barreled upper that suits your needs, it will be cheaper because no special tools will be needed to complete the rest of the build .

But the tools aren't that expensive but it is money that can go elsewhere in your build, as you shop for parts, keep that in mind.

It's a good market for someone putting together ARs at this moment in history
Upper sets abound
Old February 19, 2015, 01:02 PM   #3
rickyrick

I might add, if you have access to a workbench with a vise and a torque wrench, then the remaining tools to install a barrel on an upper arent that much
Old February 19, 2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Shooter2675

As long as the lower receiver is Mil Spec, there isn't much difference between different brands. In fact, a lot of stripped lowers are just stamped with the companies name and aren't really made by them. I would look for a name such as Aero Precision, Anderson Mfg., or even Palmetto State Armorary.

As for the lower parts kit, you have a lot of options there. You could get a complete one that includes the trigger (it would be a heavy pull, mil spec trigger), or you could get one that doesn't include a trigger and buy your own.

Depending on how much you are willing to spend on a trigger, there are many options. A good trigger is a Rock River Arms Varmint Trigger or match trigger, and can be had around $120 IIRC. If you want to spend more on a trigger, like $250, a Geissele trigger is second to none.

As for the stock, you can buy collapsible magpul stock kits for under $70 plus shipping, those are pretty good especially if you are on a budget. Or you could buy an A2 stock (like found on an M16 style rifle).

As for the upper, a stripped upper is fairly straight forward so get a mil spec one that is a good price, or if you want, you could spend a lot more for a billet upper, which just looks cooler.

For the barrel, I would recommend a White Oak a Armament barrel, they aren't too pricey and are very accurate. John at White Oak Armament has a very good selection of barrels.

For the bolt carrier group, same thing. Get a nice mil spec bolt carrier group that is MPI tested. Stag arms sells them as well as Del-Ton and many other companies.

For the charging handle, if you want a standard one they aren't thst expensive, but you could buy a more expensive, upgraded One such as a BCM Gunfighter.

You said you wanted it to look badass, so a nice Handguard could definitly do that. A nice one such as a Yankee Hill Machine would make your gun look nice. Also, I would definitly get a free float tube. It helps with accuracy.

For a gas block, I would reccomend Battle Tested Equipment (they cost $40-50 with free shipping), but if you want a gas block sight combo, you can find those from various vendors for a good price.

Let me know if you need to know anything else or if you have any questions,

John
Old February 19, 2015, 01:15 PM   #5
Shooter2675

You would also need several tools to build the gun, such as:

- A torque wrench ($40-$50 from a hardware store)
- A barrel nut wrench (about $30, you can buy it from MidwayUSA)
- A upper receiver vice block or a mag well block (I would recommend a upper receiver vice block, they cost about $30 or so)
- An AR-15 armorers wrench, to install castle nut and flash hider ($20-25 or so)
- Locktite for the castle nut (under $10, can be found at your local hardware store)

John
Old February 19, 2015, 01:24 PM   #6
rickyrick

Probably the hardest thing is the roll pin for the trigger guard, and that's not real difficult if your mechanically inclined.

Tape or some way to protect the finish incase you slip
Old February 19, 2015, 01:26 PM   #7
rcase1234

Highly recommend Anderson stripped uppers. Got mine for $57 shipped to my door from primary arms.com. Actually have one right now just waiting on a barrel for it which should be here tomorrow. The Del-Ton barrel kits are priced very well (which is what I have on the way for my current build), but I have no experience with them. They did get good reviews however. Check them out on their website and if you seen interested let me know and I'll be able to report back to you on performance of that kit within the next week or two. Also for BCG's check out AIM Surplus.com
Old February 19, 2015, 01:26 PM   #8
Shooter2675

Forgot to add, you are gonna want some roll pin punches and some plain old punches.

John
Old February 19, 2015, 01:29 PM   #9
cjacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
I might add, if you have access to a workbench with a vise and a torque wrench, then the remaining tools to install a barrel on an upper arent that much

I have all of that.
Old February 19, 2015, 01:33 PM   #10
rickyrick

Then you probably have options to build your upper as well, vise blocks as the other poster stated and a barrel wrench... Can probably buy on eBay.

I know how to do it, just can't explain on iPhone lol

Lots of people here will help.
Old February 19, 2015, 01:35 PM   #11
cjacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter2675 View Post
Forgot to add, you are gonna want some roll pin punches and some plain old punches.

John

Have that too.
Old February 19, 2015, 01:36 PM   #12
cjacobs

So start looking for an Anderson Lower. What about lower kit?
Old February 19, 2015, 01:44 PM   #13
rickyrick

I use psa lower parts kit on Anderson lower, great milspec trigger... You probably wanting something a little more expensive...

One word on PSA... Great products... Great prices.... FN barrels
But PSA's slow shipping times are the stuff of legend... They are upfront about it, it's posted all over their website in red letters, and they mean it.... Some people still get pretty upset over it, even tho it's been disclosed.
Don't let that deter you from PSA products, if you have a couple of weeks to spare it's great stuff.... Lol
Old February 19, 2015, 01:47 PM   #14
rcase1234

As far as roll pin punches I use a cheap set of GRIP roll pin punches that I bought for $10. They get the job done
Old February 19, 2015, 01:49 PM   #15
rickyrick

Latest Anderson lower I bought the other day.... No parts for it yet

Camera shakey, the engraving is clear and sharp...

Old February 19, 2015, 02:17 PM   #16
cjacobs

Help Building 1st AR-15

Is this a good one to go with? Is this a mil-spec one?
Old February 19, 2015, 02:18 PM   #17
rcase1234

Yep that's the one. Priced right too!
Old February 19, 2015, 02:19 PM   #18
cjacobs

Cool...mil-spec?
Old February 19, 2015, 02:20 PM   #19
cjacobs

So next I need a lower receiver parts kit?
Old February 19, 2015, 02:56 PM   #20
cjacobs

Oh and I will be using accessories such as lights, bipods, and occasionally a gopro.