The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 16, 2001, 10:12 PM   #1
PDshooter

AR-15 What brand to buy?

I'm looking to buy a AR-15, which one should I buy? And which one should I stay away from
Old October 16, 2001, 10:45 PM   #2
Jack Carson

For a new model, go Bushmaster

As of right now the Bushmasters are the best of the breed for the money. They are accurate and reliable and have chrome lined bores and barrels. Their chambers are not as tight as some of the newer "match" or "game" rifles which helps their reliability a great deal. I am assuming you want a carry/self defense rifle or carbine. If so, go with the 16" barrel. I have the 14.5" with the AK muzzle brake. It's great for carrying but awfully loud and I am afraid I am giving up quite a bit of velocity in the shorter tube. this is just my opinion.
jack
Old October 16, 2001, 11:16 PM   #3
HCKJMN

Go with the Bushmaster, Excellent product and excellent customer service in the event that you need it.

Jay
Old October 16, 2001, 11:16 PM   #4
jto

GO BUSHMASTER
Old October 16, 2001, 11:34 PM   #5
Mo_Zam_Beek

Bushy
Old October 17, 2001, 12:20 AM   #6
gbelleh

I just got a Bushmaster M-4 type today. All experience I've ever had with Bushmaster has been very positive. They're great guns!

Last edited by gbelleh; October 17, 2001 at 10:26 AM.
Old October 17, 2001, 01:07 AM   #7
Melvin-Purvis

"Woohoo", my first post...lol

I used to buy only Colt, but switched to Quality Parts (Bushmaster) a few years back....especially BM uppers on Colt lowers...no complaints so far, and more options to boot.

Stumbled across an Oly pre-ban CAR with the 11.5/5.5 LW option...it's butt ugly as all get out, but a serious tack driver out to 200+...did I just get lucky with the Oly?

I've been posting a bit at KFC/BFC/TFC for the last year...it's nice to finally get back to my "gun guy" roots...
Old October 17, 2001, 04:12 AM   #8
Tom B

Ruger !
Old October 17, 2001, 04:36 AM   #9
outrigger

another vote for bushmaster. i love my xm15-e2s.
Old October 17, 2001, 06:22 AM   #10
mini14jac

I get emotional when I talk about my Bushmaster.
(Or a good steak.)

I have a chart somewhere, I think it came from the Bushmaster page, showing that they sell way more guns than all of the competition.

JP
><>
Old October 17, 2001, 09:34 AM   #11
Coronach

The Big Three producers that generally produce good ARs are Bushmaster, Armalite and Colt (in no particular order).

To that short list I have heard many people add Rock River Arms, stating that their stuff is milspec, and is just as good, and their price is way less.

The only AR I own is Rock River, and its nice.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 17, 2001, 11:07 AM   #12
Jeff Thomas

They used to say that "nobody gets fired for buying IBM", meaning to say it was the safe, solid choice.

There seem to be a few firearms that have a similar, legendary status.

Bushmaster seems to have that as the AR-15 choice. There are certainly other, good AR's, but Bushmaster seems to get very few raps on its reputation. Remington 870's seems to have a similar blessing, and perhaps Glocks too, but it gets a little fuzzy with handguns ...

You'll enjoy your rifle. Buy quality mag's.

Regards from AZ
I refuse to live in a state which fails to recognize my family's fundamental right of self defense. I refuse to give that state my labor, my taxes, or any other support for such an uncivilized and barbaric policy. In other words ... Texas, Yes ... California, No.
Old October 17, 2001, 12:43 PM   #13
uglygun

Bushmaster more than anything is just a rock solid value, you pay a fair amount of money for the gun but what you get is quite seriously what the darned thing is worth, it's also the closest you're going to find to mil-spec in a civilian AR15. Colts in my opinion are no longer worth what a person would pay for them and owning the thing for the name is just silly in my opinion. The only other AR15 manufacturer out there that gets me all tickled pink is Armalite, you pay a bit more but you get a lifetime warranty with those Armalites while also getting some pretty decent customer service(in my experience atleast).

Rock River Arms is also said to be a pretty decent value but I don't have any experience with them.

Companies to stay away from? Traditionally there are two to avoid like the plague, American Spirit Arms(ASA) and Hesse. Bad customer service(sometimes horrific in the case of ASA) and poor quality control are the main issues that both companies have seem to have been fighting for some time now.

And as for the list showing the sales of AR15s for the year 1999,
Old October 17, 2001, 04:37 PM   #14
Clayton

Which specific AR15-type carbine do you guys recommend?
Old October 17, 2001, 06:26 PM   #15
Steve Smith

I and several HP friends use Rock River...they work very well.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 17, 2001, 08:22 PM   #16
halfcocked

I love my Armalite M15 carbine. The fit and finish is great. I like the Armalite carbine because it has a longer forearm which gives it greater site distance and doesnt have that long length of barrel in front of the site. Oh yeah, it shoots great too.
Old October 17, 2001, 08:49 PM   #17
JIH

I love my Armalites. Bushmaster makes a very good rifle, as does Rock River. Along with Colt, they make your upper-tier of ARs. (I'm not including specialty shops like Fulton Armory)

DPMS and Olympic make nice guns as well, though they are more a second-tier. I do not trust Hesse.

As far as price-to-quality considerations are concerned, Bushmaster is the best bang for the buck.

Armalite is higher-priced, but you get a lifetime warranty and arguably better QC out of it.

I have not seen Rock River carried by local dealers, so I don't know how they price.

Colts are sometimes overpriced, sometimes underpriced... sometimes the name sells them, sometimes the name prevents their sale. Kinda depends on how political your local shooters are. I dislike Colts because they are proprietary. While I typically stick to Armalite parts, if I really want to put someone else's upper on it, I want it to fit, and fit right.

Wilsons are overpriced.

DPMS, at least in my area, is usually priced at the same level as Bushmaster... Get the Bushmaster if this is the case.

Olympic prices low.

Hesse... I don't care if they give them away, I'm not putting my face near one.
Old October 18, 2001, 12:33 AM   #18
Melvin-Purvis

The reason Oly's are so much lower priced is because they paint the damn things...

Twice out and it looks like a Somali special... And they're loose, giving "Shake, rattle, and roll" a whole new meaning...

But they work. Mine does anyway, and it works quite well.

(Kinda like my buddy's Remington-Rand 1911A1...butt ugly, but it rolls out the rounds...7 rounds, <2 seconds...)

-S
Old October 18, 2001, 01:06 AM   #19
madmike

My Oly is anodized, tighter than hell, MOA and sweet. The machine work is gorgeous. Seen an (admittedly older) Bushy flash suppressor that was turned 5 degrees off...you could see it wobble as it was threaded on. I hear good things about their new stuff, but they used to make some right crap, and I haven't had the $$ to blow to let them redeem themselves.
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com
Old October 18, 2001, 06:37 AM   #20
mini14jac

Clayton,
If you are asking about configuration,
try the Maryland AR shooter's sight;
http://communities.msn.com/TheMaryla..._whatsnew.msnw

It has a lot of good info for a beginning AR shooter.
Basically, depending on what you want to do with it,
you'll probably be happy with a 16", light barrel.
(Either M4 profile, or fluted.)
You will have to decide if you want a removable handle or not.

I prefer a real stock to a fake folder, and I like the shortest, lightest barrel possible.
(IMO muzzle brakes are too loud, and not needed on a .223)
I put an A1 stock on mine, as it is about 1" shorter than the A2 stock.

Be safe, have fun!
JP
><>
Old October 18, 2001, 07:07 AM   #21
Bob Locke

I own an Oly Arms PCR-4 (Politically Correct Rifle - gotta love it). The only fit it gave me was the chamber was too tight from the factory. The first couple of rounds I sent down-range left the case in the breech.

I sent it back, they reamed it out just a smidge, and the thing has been flawless ever since, but I will agree that it's a bit more "springy" than other AR's I have handled.

Bushmaster's go for about $100 more than Oly Arms. I think I would probably pony up the extra money and get one.

Colt's aren't worth the extra money IMO.

The Armalites are great as well, but you're talking another $100 or more over the Bushmaster. I don't see the added value for the money.

Have no experience at all with Rock River, but everything I've heard is good.

DPMS has a solid rep among the folks I know as well.
Old October 18, 2001, 09:24 AM   #22
Stopdropnroll

BUSHMASTER

Hard to beat the "Dissipator" in A3

Its 16" barrel but with full 20" barrel's sight radius and longer handguards that protect you from hot barrel.

SDnR
Old October 18, 2001, 09:37 AM   #23
KelTeKee

Bushy 16" post ban will eat all...Put mine together for just over $500. did ALOT of scroungin' but found the good stuff...
Old October 18, 2001, 10:54 AM   #24
Jeff Thomas

Stopdropnroll and others make a good point ... the model matters as well. I've heard a lot of positive comments about the Dissipator model, mainly due to the longer sight radius. Others aren't as happy with them because they have a different balance.

I like the A3 sights, because they give you much more flexibility in sighting systems.

Check this one out, for example:
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/w.../pcwa3s16d.asp

Good luck.

Regards from AZ
I refuse to live in a state which fails to recognize my family's fundamental right of self defense. I refuse to give that state my labor, my taxes, or any other support for such an uncivilized and barbaric policy. In other words ... Texas, Yes ... California, No.
Old October 18, 2001, 11:07 AM   #25
Clayton

Can I put a Vortex flash hider on a new Bushy or Armalite?