The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2013, 02:30 PM   #1
kjb0419

30-30 reloading help needed!

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to reloading and am having trouble figuring out load data for the components I have available to me. Everything I've acquired has basically been what I can find in local stores (which isn't much). I'm reloading 30-30.

Here is a list of what I have:

Powders:
IMR 4895
Hodgdon Superformance

Bullets:
Hornady Varmint .308 100 gr SJ (#3005)
Hornady FTX .308 160 Gr

I've been able to find load data for the Hornady FTX 160 gr with the IMR 4895. I can't find any load data for 30-30 using the Hodgdon Superformance and I have a feeling that they have not supplied load data for this caliber yet. However I can't find ANY load data on the Hornady Varmint 100 gr rounds for 30-30.

If anyone has seen any 30-30 load data for the Superformance I would definitely like a list, or if someone has had experience loading it that would also be helpful.

I'm more interested however in the load data for the varmint rounds using the IMR 4895. If anyone has any input on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for you help in advance,

Kenton
Old April 14, 2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Boomer58cal

The hogdon website has data for 110g bullets with IMR4895 in the 30-30. It's a good place to start.

Boomer
Old April 14, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
histed

Unless some of the more experienced members have done work on their own, I doubt you'll fine Superformance data for 30-30. Leverevolution was the big one there and Hogdon does state that the Superformance powder has limited application in limited calibers. Having no idea what your reloading background is and meaning no disrespect, be careful with the 110 SP if your rifle has a tubular magazine. A pointed bullet agains a primer is a bad combination. The FTX is designed to be safe in this application. I've shot them (but not with either of your powders) and they work well.
Old April 14, 2013, 03:30 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

For shooting in your rifle you will need to single load the varmint bullets without loading them in the magazine. You can use the data for the 110 grain bullet for the 100 grain. You may need to up the starting charge by a couple of theths of a grain though. I have no experience with .30-30 Win. I have more factory ammo than I will shoot in this lifetime in the two rifles I have seeing as how they are for hunting only. I do not target shoot them except to confirm sight in before taking them hunting.